To UV filter or not to UV filter, that is the question...

Dave in Wales

Mu-43 All-Pro
For over 50 years I stuck some sort of UV or protector on the front of my lenses, usually Nikkor's.

I have ceased this practice, I'll take the risk.

Why pay £££'s for top quality glass and then stick another piece on the front.

My first go-to len is the Oly 12-40 PRO, my second, the Oly 60mm.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
I sent my 40-150 PRO off to be fixed 2 days ago. I drove around today taking photos, and for almost every photo I was wishing I had my 40-150 PRO to use. When it comes back, it will get a protective filter covering it. My 12-40 and a couple of my others will as well. It's more than the cost of getting them fixed, it's being able to use them when you need them.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I noticed my professor has a UV on all of his lens, but not a single lens cap in any of his bags. Claims he just throws them away since with the UV he's ready to shoot whenever (and mainly does architectural it seems).

I suppose that could work, I prefer not having to deal with it, but I generally use a lens hood when the lens has a hard one available to it.

I've been the same for years.

None of my lenses in my bags (all in their own compartment) have caps... some have filters (the ones of high importance to me) and some do not.

I've dropped a lens 1 time in my life. It was while I was futzing with a lens cap.

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran
the first thing I do with a new lens is to put the cap back in the box and screw on a UV filter and not worry about it.. if it gets dirty no problem.. spray and wipe.. :) and if the filter gets scratched no big deal..

PMCC

Mu-43 Regular
I am still undecided. I am aware of the risk of using a lens without filter and have no problem with the optical quality of a good filter, But using a $50 filter just to protect a sub-$200 lens (that is all my lenses)?

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I am still undecided. I am aware of the risk of using a lens without filter and have no problem with the optical quality of a good filter, But using a $50 filter just to protect a sub-$200 lens (that is all my lenses)?

If you scratch or otherwise damage your sub-$200 lens, you might as well buy a new one; as I'm pretty sure that freight and repair costs will likely exceed the lens value.

chaconi

World Tourist
Real Name
Not Chaconi

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Olympus ahs filter for sale but no information except this:

PRF-ZD95 PRO PROTECTION FILTER and it costs a crazy $325​

What's up with that?
Any 95mm filter will cost you a kidney ...
Even the 72mm one for my latest lens (f/4 8-25) cost me around AUD 200.

OEM filters (probably made by Hoya) will cost extra for the branding.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Any 95mm filter will cost you a kidney ...
The OMDS 95mm filter is $429.99 CDN. I'm more concerned about impact/breakage of the front element, not dust or water marks. The Sigma 95mm WR clear ceramic filter is $369.99 CDN. It's supposed to be very tough.
I don't have any filters on my lenses at present.

chaconi

World Tourist
Real Name
Not Chaconi
I use the

B + W Clear Protection Filter for Camera Lens – Ultra Slim Titan Mount (T-PRO), 007, HTC, 16 Layers Multi-Resistant and Nano Coating, Photography Filter​

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've wondered if a filter, being parallel to the sensor, is the reason hot spots show up in IR cameras?

Expensive lenses with a lot of glass usually have one parallel lens surface to the sensor and oddly, they seem to be prone to IR hot spots with light bouncing back and forth between them creating a bright one. Conversely, a cheap lens having fewer lenses, may not have a surface parallel to the sensor and those lenses do not cast a hot spot.

I do know with some lenses I get a vignette, even with a thin one with no threads in the front. Worse is when the lens hood will not attach to the bayonet front end due to the filter's diameter size or its thickness so the hood will not lock onto the bayonet. With that issue, I'd need to go sans any hood and maybe deal with any possible flare at the filter. Given that issue with the fit, flare, hue shifts from coatings, and any vignette, I usually prefer a lens hood verses a filter for both image and lens protection - and often a rubber hood if it is heavy and prone to hit lens first on setting it down on a hard surface.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
The OMDS 95mm filter is $429.99 CDN. I'm more concerned about impact/breakage of the front element, not dust or water marks. The Sigma 95mm WR clear ceramic filter is $369.99 CDN. It's supposed to be very tough.
I don't have any filters on my lenses at present.
Graham, I would definitely have a filter on your highly expensive 150-400.

However, telephotos being extremely sensitive to the quality of filters, I would definitely try before you buy to ensure that there is no image degradation. Probably safest to pony up for the genuine Olympus filter, much as it pains me to say it!

Alternatively, the highest quality B&W, or Hoya from a reputable supplier with a good returns policy. B&H springs to mind.

SnapShot69

Mu-43 Regular
I have a good quality protective filter on all my lenses. I can see no difference in image quality. I agree with John King that it is best to try the filter before you buy if possible because I have found that filter manufacturers do vary a bit.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I've wondered if a filter, being parallel to the sensor, is the reason hot spots show up in IR cameras?

Expensive lenses with a lot of glass usually have one parallel lens surface to the sensor and oddly, they seem to be prone to IR hot spots with light bouncing back and forth between them creating a bright one. Conversely, a cheap lens having fewer lenses, may not have a surface parallel to the sensor and those lenses do not cast a hot spot.

I do know with some lenses I get a vignette, even with a thin one with no threads in the front. Worse is when the lens hood will not attach to the bayonet front end due to the filter's diameter size or its thickness so the hood will not lock onto the bayonet. Need to go san hood and deal with any flare.

In the 70s there were "ghostless" filters, which had a curved glass. The idea was that any flare-producing, non-image-forming light would be bent up into the black flocking of the lens and not onto the film. Once coated, and then multicoated filters became a thing, the industry determined they weren't necessary.

I still have a few Toshiba ghostless filters that my dad bought in the 70s: Some Skylight 1A and 1B filters.

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
In my experience B+W MRC 010 filters have no negative impact on the lens performance and I use one on every lens I own. I never ever use front lens caps, so when the filter gets beat up, I get a new one rather than a new lens. However, if I need to use a VND I'll take my B+W off so I only have one filter on at a time. I find the SYRP VND is very good.

Latest threads

Top Bottom