To try out a Fujifilm X-T20: should I or shouldn't I?

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The X-T20 arrived yesterday, and last night I pre-set a number of film simulation recipes from this remarkable website: https://fujixweekly.com/recipes/

Another addition to this model, from the others I previously tried, is add-on grain (strong or weak effect), and overall extra customisation via menus (including a My Menu area, as in the later Panasonic models).

It is certainly a lot of fun to play with, and I just love being able to save 7 custom settings, instead of maybe 4 on my Lumix cameras.

Here are some lame snapshots I made today using one or two film simulation recipes and my Canon FD 50/1.8 adapted with a Roxsen focal reducer. It was devilishly windy, so my dedication to the craft wavered!

2020_1205_14315400-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2020_1205_14382800-01.jpeg
2020_1205_13454100-01.jpeg

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts about this camera after you have used it for awhile. Can you see a difference in IQ, or easier processing the bigger files etc. and of course the often quoted Fuji look.
This camera has my interest as well.

damianmkv

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm also considering the X-T20. I shoot less than i did as i lost the passion for it after I sold my X100T a few years back. I'm tempted by another X100 series but want ( need ? ) a flippy screen and cannot afford the V.

So i'm wondering if the X-T20 would be good for me. I like a camera i can through in a jacket pocket with a small lens or 2

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
It is certainly a lot of fun to play with, and I just love being able to save 7 custom settings, instead of maybe 4 on my Lumix cameras.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the custom settings on your Fuji a different kind of thing compared to custom settings on a Lumix? I ask because my only Fuji experience is with my recently acquired X100V and with that camera, its custom settings mostly pertain to the image quality parameters. Whereas with my Lumix cameras, the custom settings also store things like metering mode, drive mode, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, AF modes, etc.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the custom settings on your Fuji a different kind of thing compared to custom settings on a Lumix? I ask because my only Fuji experience is with my recently acquired X100V and with that camera, its custom settings mostly pertain to the image quality parameters. Whereas with my Lumix cameras, the custom settings also store things like metering mode, drive mode, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, AF modes, etc.
Yes, you make a good point, and your current model Fujifilm camera would be fully optioned with even more film simulations. My interest is primarily in being able to create a number of certain JPEG looks, and to switch easily between them. In almost every other way I prefer my Panasonic gear.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Haha er, not worth it to experiment, they are retailing at AUD$1700 ($1,200 more, not $500) here, and it's too soon to see much on the second-hand market. Whenever I buy, I aim to at least get my money back...most times, I make a small profit. Hence looking a an outdated model, instead of the X-T30.
They were seeking for a grand, from memory, over the Xmas new year period, online. Local stock. I admit to being a little bit tempted.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
They were seeking for a grand, from memory, over the Xmas new year period, online. Local stock. I admit to being a little bit tempted.
I didn't see that, but it doesn't really grab my attention. Nor, if I'm really honest, is the X-T20...I get more enjoyment from my little X30 compact, and can get very pleasing results using virtually the same recipes. My recent travel images thread, which I'm still updating, shows photos made using only the X30 and a custom Kodak film simulation recipe.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/my-vi...-mallee-roadtrip-january.110350/#post-1444847

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
To conclude the story: for me, the X-T20 was just another good-looking so-so camera which I liked the files from but didn't enjoy shooting. I sold it recently for what I paid.

The only Fujifilm camera I've loved shooting with is the X30 compact, which handles a lot like the Panasonic GX range, but with the most sublime 28-112mm f/2-2.8 manual zoom lens. The files fall far behind my GX9, but I enjoy using it most of all the cameras I've had, ever.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That’s only because you’ve never used a OM-D M5 mkii.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
It really depends on the user. I was happy to sell my EM5.2 because I felt like the rear controls were too cramped and also because I couldn't configure it the way I wanted. On the other hand I'm sure many people love that camera. It just wasn't for me. Same with my Sony RX100 II. Lots of people swear by the RX100 series but I found it to be a very unpleasant camera to use.

shreebles

Mu-43 Veteran
People's tastes are so different. I love Olympus cameras but that one was for me the worst of all worlds.
Weather sealed, pro ambitions, but doesn't have the grip of the larger models.
Larger EVF than on the E-M10ii, but LCD instead of OLED type (less contrast & saturation).
Articulating screen, but fully instead of tilting.

My primary is the M5 mark III now, all plastic but lightweight, OLED EVF, IP-certified sealing, in-camera charging, 20MP sensor with E-M1X autofocus features.
If only I could get it with a tilt screen, hm...

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I always tried to find another "rangefinder" style camera, so I seriously considered the X-Pro1 and X-E1, but eventually I decided to stick with the 4:3 aspect ratio. So years later I was considering Pen F and GX9, but I decided I am more of a landscape photographer than a street photographer, so eventually I accepted the "SLR" style. My first ILC ever, my first SLR or faux SLR ever, so E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 is still taking time to get used to, still not second nature after almost 2 years. I think time is important, so that's why I have said don't get into a cycle of constantly buying and selling gear. Best camera is likely the one you already have, whatever that is, unless there is a specific feature you really need. For me, it was weather-sealing, video, and enough storage for two months in a rainy tropical country overseas to visit relatives for the first time in 25 years that finally forced me to get a new camera.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@doady but I love buying and selling gear!! Exploring new gear is an important pleasure of my photography passion.

However, after selling the X-T20 and Lumix LX100 m2, I'm back to a core set of: one rangefinder-style travel/EDC compact (X30, owned for a few years), one rangefinder-style mu43 for general/important (GX9, owned for a couple of years), and one SLR-style mu43 for wildlife/backup/dust/rain (G85, owned for a year). I'm pretty content with these, but I'll always be Fujicurious ?

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah, new gear is fun, including some unfamiliarity or differences. Even after almost 2 years, I still can't remember all of the controls of this camera, but I suppose it's just part of the fun. I admire people who can use multiple camera systems or brands, because most people seem to complain about any differences, and I probably would not be able to handle it either.

Btw, LX100 was another camera I really wanted once, but maybe non-tilt screen and reports of dust issues held me back.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
LX100 was another camera I really wanted once, but maybe non-tilt screen and reports of dust issues held me back.
The tilt screen and power zoom really left me cold, and, dare I say, it seemed too small to be comfortable to use. Even though I'd tried both cameras in a store when they were new, and wanted them, in real use they didn't work for me.

shreebles

Mu-43 Veteran
I always tried to find another "rangefinder" style camera, so I seriously considered the X-Pro1 and X-E1, but eventually I decided to stick with the 4:3 aspect ratio. So years later I was considering Pen F and GX9, but I decided I am more of a landscape photographer than a street photographer, so eventually I accepted the "SLR" style.
Keep in mind SLR style offers better control over the camera body - the camera is more stable when you bring it directly in front of your face, instead of to the side of your face. I noticed that again when I picked up a friend's Sony a6000. I also feel having the EVF in the optical axis is more intuitive for composition, but that may be only personal preference.

The tilt screen and power zoom really left me cold, and, dare I say, it seemed too small to be comfortable to use. Even though I'd tried both cameras in a store when they were new, and wanted them, in real use they didn't work for me.
Fully agree. Power zoom always feels so silly. When I got into m43 it was either the LX100 or E-M10 mark ii. The aspect ratio switch on the LX is so cool, but I hated the EVF and have a passionate dislike for the Panasonic UI and menu systems. And looking at some samples online I found the lens and sensor combo is lacking compared to ILCs with a similar sensor.
Just the ILC doesn't get you there, but with a nice prime like the 25mm f1.8 or 20mm f1.7 you're getting DSLR quality in a compact package, which the LX series does not deliver IMO.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Keep in mind SLR style offers better control over the camera body - the camera is more stable when you bring it directly in front of your face, instead of to the side of your face. I noticed that again when I picked up a friend's Sony a6000. I also feel having the EVF in the optical axis is more intuitive for composition, but that may be only personal preference.

Fully agree. Power zoom always feels so silly. When I got into m43 it was either the LX100 or E-M10 mark ii. The aspect ratio switch on the LX is so cool, but I hated the EVF and have a passionate dislike for the Panasonic UI and menu systems. And looking at some samples online I found the lens and sensor combo is lacking compared to ILCs with a similar sensor.
Just the ILC doesn't get you there, but with a nice prime like the 25mm f1.8 or 20mm f1.7 you're getting DSLR quality in a compact package, which the LX series does not deliver IMO.
I agree 100% about a central EVF for certain types of shooting. The EM10 m2 was the first SLR style digital camera I really enjoyed using, but the UI and menu system bugged me (with the exception of the best focus peaking I've used)!! Horses for courses, as they say.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Re. The UI.
Going to Olympus from Panasonic drove me nuts for a couple of minutes.
But then the pennys all dropped, and it made perfect sense.
The dude’s who came up with the Olympus menus are geniuses. That’s a fact.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't dismiss power zoom completely. I used the customizable button of my C-7070WZ to switch between various focal lengths, each pre-focused manually to the hyperfocal distance. That was my setup for street photography for over a decade, and it was possible because power zoom.

On Olympus bodies, it isn't just the EVF that is aligned with the lens, but also the LCD. Being right-eyed, I always wanted a body with a viewfinder on the left side - that was one of the distinguishing features of early Olympus DSLRs - but I guess it also makes sense to instead have viewfinder, LCD, lens more centrally located so they can be aligned together.

Bodies like a6000 are exactly my taste, but recently I realized that I need zooms, especially constant aperture, so reluctantly I had to accept the SLR style, so I can use bigger lenses. Pictures of a6000 combined with huge lenses are common, but I can't imagine it being too comfortable.

That said, I still have a lot of trouble keeping E-M1 II + 12-100mm stable and level, but it's probably just my lack of experience with the SLR style.

Latest threads

Top Bottom