To try out a Fujifilm X-T20: should I or shouldn't I?

The X-T20 arrived yesterday, and last night I pre-set a number of film simulation recipes from this remarkable website: https://fujixweekly.com/recipes/

Another addition to this model, from the others I previously tried, is add-on grain (strong or weak effect), and overall extra customisation via menus (including a My Menu area, as in the later Panasonic models).

It is certainly a lot of fun to play with, and I just love being able to save 7 custom settings, instead of maybe 4 on my Lumix cameras.

Here are some lame snapshots I made today using one or two film simulation recipes and my Canon FD 50/1.8 adapted with a Roxsen focal reducer. It was devilishly windy, so my dedication to the craft wavered!

2020_1205_14315400-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2020_1205_14382800-01.jpeg
2020_1205_13454100-01.jpeg

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts about this camera after you have used it for awhile. Can you see a difference in IQ, or easier processing the bigger files etc. and of course the often quoted Fuji look.
This camera has my interest as well.

damianmkv

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm also considering the X-T20. I shoot less than i did as i lost the passion for it after I sold my X100T a few years back. I'm tempted by another X100 series but want ( need ? ) a flippy screen and cannot afford the V.

So i'm wondering if the X-T20 would be good for me. I like a camera i can through in a jacket pocket with a small lens or 2

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It is certainly a lot of fun to play with, and I just love being able to save 7 custom settings, instead of maybe 4 on my Lumix cameras.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the custom settings on your Fuji a different kind of thing compared to custom settings on a Lumix? I ask because my only Fuji experience is with my recently acquired X100V and with that camera, its custom settings mostly pertain to the image quality parameters. Whereas with my Lumix cameras, the custom settings also store things like metering mode, drive mode, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, AF modes, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the custom settings on your Fuji a different kind of thing compared to custom settings on a Lumix? I ask because my only Fuji experience is with my recently acquired X100V and with that camera, its custom settings mostly pertain to the image quality parameters. Whereas with my Lumix cameras, the custom settings also store things like metering mode, drive mode, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, AF modes, etc.
Yes, you make a good point, and your current model Fujifilm camera would be fully optioned with even more film simulations. My interest is primarily in being able to create a number of certain JPEG looks, and to switch easily between them. In almost every other way I prefer my Panasonic gear.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Haha er, not worth it to experiment, they are retailing at AUD$1700 ($1,200 more, not $500) here, and it's too soon to see much on the second-hand market. Whenever I buy, I aim to at least get my money back...most times, I make a small profit. Hence looking a an outdated model, instead of the X-T30.
They were seeking for a grand, from memory, over the Xmas new year period, online. Local stock. I admit to being a little bit tempted.

They were seeking for a grand, from memory, over the Xmas new year period, online. Local stock. I admit to being a little bit tempted.
I didn't see that, but it doesn't really grab my attention. Nor, if I'm really honest, is the X-T20...I get more enjoyment from my little X30 compact, and can get very pleasing results using virtually the same recipes. My recent travel images thread, which I'm still updating, shows photos made using only the X30 and a custom Kodak film simulation recipe.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/my-vi...-mallee-roadtrip-january.110350/#post-1444847

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom