To the mechanically-inclined out there...

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I just found a nice grip for the PEN F. Big grip, ARCA-style, etc., but it does barely touch the camera. I'd hate to take it off in a few months and have had it mar the body. SO... where can I get thin black rubber stick-on feet, pads, or small sheets to put a compressible layer between the body and this grip?

THANKS!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I just found a nice grip for the PEN F. Big grip, ARCA-style, etc., but it does barely touch the camera. I'd hate to take it off in a few months and have had it mar the body. SO... where can I get thin black rubber stick-on feet, pads, or small sheets to put a compressible layer between the body and this grip?

THANKS!
Your local Walmart or Target.

Phocal

God
Why worry about it? Anything you try will either not work properly and possibly make its use a pain in the ass or run the same/greater risk of marking up the body.

I seriously don't get it.........

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Sugru. Amazon.
The OP doesn't want something permanent, they want something to protect the body that they can place between the grip and the body to prevent any scuffs or abrasions.

Sugru would not be a good option to place on the camera body because it is semi-permanent (unless you were talking about placing it on the inner side of the grip and letting it fully cure before putting it on the camera, in which case, that may work).

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
This is the grip I like. I want a pad between the grip and the body AND the vertical ARCA plate and the body. Maybe in the bottom tray as well.

bracket.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
"Why worry about it? Anything you try will either not work properly and possibly make its use a pain in the ass or run the same/greater risk of marking up the body."

Only because the $3 spend might protect a $1000 body. Worth the $3 to me to try.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Hmm... in that case then @Mike Wingate 's suggestion of sugru may work. Put a very thin layer of it on the sides of the plate/grip that will touch the camera, and let it fully cure. It'll dry to a rubbery-like texture, which should protect the body of the Pen-F.

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
For thin sheets of rubber you can slice the inner tube from a bicycle. Michael's sells thin sheets of leather if you would rather go that route.

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
Depends on whether she ever rides it! :)

Anyway, if the grip is firmly attached and doesn't move, it shouldn't mar the camera.

BTW, another option would be a strip of gaffers tape on the plate.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
BTW, another option would be a strip of gaffers tape on the plate.
I think this is your best bet, OP.

Some sort of fabric tape (gaffer tape, hockey tape, surgical tape) with give you a softer texture on the inside of the grip, and won't add too much thickness. If it's already rubbing, I think rubber sheets will cause fitment problems. Or perhaps very thin foam tape from the hardware store, like the sort used for gaskets or weather stripping.

The advantage of tape is that its a very simple installation, and it will stay put.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Put a couple of layers of electrical tape on the areas that you are concerned with. Then use the camera for a week. Afterwards, remove the grip and plate and you'll see the rubbing spots pretty clearly. Depending on their size and location, you can then figure out the best way to protect the camera. Very often there are just a handful of rub spots along edges and ridges.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I have a similar grip for my E-P5, it is also very close. What I am thinking of trying is that stick on clear contact used to cover books. Stick it to the base of the grip and the inside of the riser if it has a flat surface. Should be thick enough to protect the camera, I hope.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Why worry about it? Anything you try will either not work properly and possibly make its use a pain in the ass or run the same/greater risk of marking up the body.

I seriously don't get it.........
I think to many the PenF is not a tool, but an art piece.;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom