To stay satisfied...

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by fransglans, Sep 18, 2014.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I read these new threads about the upcoming new cameras, and I feel that sick urge in me that screams out; "it´s time to get a new gadget"...
    Isn´t this ironic, you know so well that you´re never gonna get that voice quiet. There´s always something new on the horizon.

So, I grabbed my very well functioning em5 that I always love to handle and took these humble pics.
    And then I made a nice cup of coffee and placed my self in front of my PC,

I think that most of the magic comes from your PP. When I had my fuji x100 I thought that those files could never be replicated by olympus.
    yesterday I tried to apply some astia to some of my shots, and voila! The fuji look was back again, and the result were very hard to distinguish from the fujis...

Its so easy to fool your self. And G.A.S is one of the strongest forces on earth, but the only thing it gives you is unsatisfaction.
    Sorry to bother u with all this talk, Just wanted to get this out of me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  2. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Really like your shots, especially #3. And I know what you mean about GAS, Photokina etc. My biggest issue atm is no time to take pictures. So if I bought some of these shiny new cameras, I'd just have even more kit sat in a cupboard gathering dust...

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Of course, most of us already have gear that perfectly suffices (and satisfies) for making great images... IF we are up to the task as photographers!

Most of us don't buy new gear because we "need" to, nor because we feel it will make us better photographers.

Most of us get new gear simply because we enjoy playing with and using new gear. This isn't so much about photography itself, as the drive applies in any number of diverse hobbies and endeavors that require the use of "gear".

• Like Like x 4
  4. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    For me, I always wanted to have a camera that can take good photo and video at the same time. BMPCC was a groundbreaking but limited to video only. GH4 ticked all my needs, but the size and price dont fit my needs. So lx100 comes along and it is the perfect camera for me. Im not a camera junkie, I only have a camera right now, It doesnt hurt to have another back up body. 2 years ago, I went to NYC with a gopro and a canon s100 as my main camera. In the middle of the trip, my s100 broke (lens protruding error). So I stucked with a gopro for the rest of the trip. I wished that I had a back up body that time. I missed a lot of great shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  5. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    yes of course its fun with new gear. its actually very fun. and thats the problem. i dont know about you, but im not made of gold and this never ending story always strikes back at the account. for me, its a battle. and I need to remind me of these things quite often. gear lust never ends but great photos stays forever.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yes, it's a money pit! I find that getting off the computer and going out with my existing cameras usually sends attacks of gas to the back burner. Of course, it's a recurring condition! Tough to battle at times.

Once I got the GX7, my other bodies have been shelf dwellers, with just very occasional use of one of them. So, with the GX7, I've been fine for quite a while until this recent announcement. The LX100 really got me going!

7. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Number 1 is a superb shot and a spectacular B&W conversion!

• Like Like x 1
  8. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Truer words have seldom been spoken. If you don't believe that gear acquisition syndrome runs across the breadth of almost every serious hobby, just strike up a conversation sometime with a dedicated dry fly fisherman.

dp

• Like Like x 1
  9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    some beautiful shots of your family and I do love the look of that filter. It does indeed scrub up like 35mm neg. Fantastic.

I agree totally about the GAS thing, and pretty much have stuck with my original G series (which I bought in 2009) as I don't see anything compelling to move towards in the newer gear. I've actually rationalised my gear since 2009 (although having a few amoebic pulsations into directions and back again) so that I have less lenses now than when I bought into m43 (sold all my Canon EF) and have not really felt that anything new in the lens department pulls my attention (NB offers anything compelling for my images).

I've also found that processing ones RAW files is a real leveler in all the micro43 stuff.

Thanks for the "rant" :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    great stuff gus
    both the pictures and the attitude

K

• Like Like x 1
  11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Gus, I think you've got it wrong mate. The magic comes from the photographer...sure great PP work can really add a lot to an image (bad PP can ruin an image too!!) but without a great image to begin with it doesn't do much. I absolutely love all 4 of these images you've posted and would be proud to call them my own.

With regards to GAS i think its important that we differentiate between buying gear just for the sake of buying gear...and buying gear because the new gear offers you something new or different. There has been much talk on the forum lately about the LX100 and I have to admit, I've been involved too, but I notice that most of the people who are excited about this camera and have been talking about getting it are saying that it gives them something new, it finally gives them the high quality large sensor compact all-rounder that they have been craving....some have been saying that it gives them a chance to consolidate and simplify their gear by replacing a body and multiple lenses....both of these reasons I consider to not be GAS but valid reasons based on practicality.

So whats GAS then ? ...mmm, replacing the old P20/1.7 with the new P20/1.7 because it looks nicer ! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    hi joe:)
    what i meant was, if u take three good shots. and after that wonder if a new camera would have made them better, by then I think this is wrong. put on some modest and nice PP and this could be the difference instead of just lusting for newer gear.

i hear u, lx100 could make things easier for alot of people. but i guess there will come a sony rx1 with a similar lens and hey, now we're talking ff... :) and aftee that, hasselblad comes out with a brand new... etc etc