To sell or not to sell

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I need some serious advice. I currently have a 35-100 Panasonic f2.8 which never seems to get used (I bought it with the camera and think I have used it twice while trying to assess if I need it). I also have the PL 12-60, the OLY 40-150 + tc1.4 and the OLY pro 45 f1.2. I don't want to sell and then regret it but I just can't seem to find where it fits in with my current lens family. I am debating switching for either a 17mm or 25mm Oly PRO f1,2 or a longer range zoom. Quandry - what to do......

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
You do not say what camera you have, and what you photograph. That might help determine what works best for you. One question is how important the weight of the 35-100mm lens is compared with the 40-150mm. It is less than half the weight so better for travel (when things return to normal), with the 12-60 and 35-100 giving you a pair of compact lenses with a combined weight 100g less than the 40-150mm.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
In my worlds of limited funds there is only place for either the 35-100f2.8 or the 40-150f2.8. It seems you don't have a problem with the larger size of the 40-150 (otherwise it would be sitting at home and not the 35-100) in which case there really is no reason left to keep the other lens. Sell it!

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Here is my take. For me the niche for the 35-100 focal length is in city shooting or landscapes. I normally use the 12-35 for landscapes so I got the f4/5.6 version which is so small it is always along. For long lens I find my PL100-400 is just too good not to use, so again the 35-100 doesn't get used. However if money is not an object, I never sell a lens if it is a "good" one because I change up a lot what I am imaging is likely to change and then the 35-100 might be the perfect focal length.

It would make a nice city travel lens. I've been fighting getting either the 7-14/8-18 and the f2.8 version of the 35-100 for a couple of years. And will do it this year knowing that they most likely will not get used a lot because of the way I shoot. But if I start imaging again in the city again (I live in the city of protests Portland) they would be my go to set.

I say keep it if you don't need to sell it, especially if you tested it and it is a good one.

Brodhall

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sue
You do not say what camera you have, and what you photograph. That might help determine what works best for you. One question is how important the weight of the 35-100mm lens is compared with the 40-150mm. It is less than half the weight so better for travel (when things return to normal), with the 12-60 and 35-100 giving you a pair of compact lenses with a combined weight 100g less than the 40-150mm.
I shoot with the g9 (I have two so I don't need to switch while photographing horse x-country training and competitions)

I have a Panny G9 which has an unbelievable grip and big eye piece, making it a good fit for the Oly f2,8 40-150.There is supposed to be some kind of incompatibility with the IS,but I swear it works beautifully. I think you are supposed to turn off the in lens IS. It is hard to go wrong.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I rarely sell gear, much to my wife's distress. I have an Oly 9-18, AND a Panny 7-14. both have their charms, but I generally prefer the 9-18. I'm keeping both. . . you know, just in case. But I don't see how this is something anyone but you can decide.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom