'To Sell or Not to Sell...?' That is the Question...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kelly200269, Jan 27, 2013.

1. kelly200269

kelly200269 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Leyland, Lancashire
    Martin Kelly
    Hi There,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to ask some advice please.

I recently got into the MFT format, and now have a Lumix G2 & GX1 with various lenses (Lumix 12mm, Lumix 20mm, Lumix 25mm & Oly 45mm). I love the kit for it's weight, and find myself taking more photos because of it, in preference to my DSLR.

I also love my DSLR for the quality it can produce, but am finding myself using it a lot less now because of my MFT kit. I'm an amateur photographer who enjoys taking photos for myself, and do not do any professional work.

My question is: Do I sell my DSLR & lenses now that I use them less? My kit is a Canon EOS 5D with a collection of 'L' lenses including the 14mm, 24-70mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm Macro & 70-200mm.

I would especially like to hear from members who have sold their DSLR after buying their MFT kit, and for their perspectives on this decision. Any regrets, or a decision well made?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  2. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Well only you can REALLY decide. Once I got my E-M5 I was sure I would sell my DSLR gear. While I've sold some gear, I haven' been able to bring myself to sell all or even most of it. I should, since it's rarely used, but I've had most of it a long time and I just can't quite bring myself to part with it,mainly because I've sgot some photos that I've.really liked with that gear. Heck I still have my first. SLR still, because I liked it and still do.
  3. kelly200269

kelly200269 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Leyland, Lancashire
    Martin Kelly
    I think when you have invested time, money and effort in developing a system (I've been a Canon user for decades), you do become very 'attached' to it; you know how it 'works', you know it's limitations and it becomes a trusted tool.

The problem is that I absolutely love my Lumix, and I'm astounded at the quality this little but of kit produces, I've only had it for 18 months, but use it regularly, much more than my DSLR. But will the 'honeymoon' period end? Will I eventually find fault in it? Or is the DSLR just an expensive comfort blanket?

That's why I'm particularly interested to hear from other members who have made the leap and ditched their comfort blanket, and/or from members who have decided against it.
  4. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Tough call that only you can really make Kelly. MFT has the equivalent lenses to your Canon system and there are plenty of new offerings on the way so you are not really going to lose anything in that regard. I am guessing you probably don't shoot sport with your 5d so having a the ability to focus on fast moving subjects isn't a high priority for you. This is really the only area I think MFT is lagging behind DSLR systems.
    If you find that you are getting "good enough" image quality with MFT then there is probably no reason to hang onto your Canon gear.
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am a Nikon guy but I haven't been able to get rid of all my Nikon stuff either. I did reduce it however. I suggest you start buy selling your least used gear first. For instance if you are not doing portraiture then the 85mm could go. If you don't do macro then the 100mm could.
    Of coarse you could simply sell it all and then you would have some funds to get more m4/3 lenses! The biggest advantages I find with DSLRs over m4/3 is being able to go wider easier, better low light performance and better AF for fast action.
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Each person has to decide for them self based on their own style and preferences. It took me awhile, but I finally sold all of my Canon gear (40D & lenses) because I simply wasn't using them anymore. I have not missed the Canon at all. I can do everything that I like to do with the :43: system. :thumbup:
  7. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've got the GH2, the GX1 and a 5D MkIII. If I got rid of any of them it would be a sad day. Each is a very different tool and each one of them gets me in the mood to shoot in very different fashions.

I have either the GH2 or GX1 with me everyday ... the GX1 is taking over as my "carry around" camera due to it's size, and I'm pretty enamored with the flip-up external viewfinder and how that changes the way I compose pictures.

The 5D comes out on special occasions - nights when I need a "tool" and I may be shooting a couple hundred shots, or I need my big flash setup or I just feel like cruising with the big rig for it's nice heavy-in-hand feel and machine-gun like actuation, beauteous viewfinder and pin-point precision.

I've considered dumping both systems from time to time - most recently I nearly sold the GH2 to an interested party, but in the end I like having the various tools so that on different days, when I'm in different moods or when there's a different goal in mind, I can just grab the right body and lens combo from the shelf and go. So instead of devoting myself to one system I happily live with both, and hopefully soon I'll add the GH3 to the stable (when, maybe, just maybe, e-bay will finally pry the GH2 away from me!)
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    There no real rush, unless you feel a pinch or two. I just gave away a 5D last week to my oldest daughter and a few lenses. By my eyes, the differences between my OM-D's and my 1Ds' is not all that significant for prints less than 16x20. While I haven't disposed of all my FF equipment, it is collecting a lot of dust. When I'm ready, it will be gone.

9. Auckland

Auckland New to Mu-43

Jan 26, 2013
    DSLR for sports and action. Micro for everything else. The focus and tracking for fast moving objects is not advanced enough in 4/3 yet. Then there is battery life. Keep the DSLR.
  10. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    I'm going through a similar thing.

I have a 7D, 70-200 2.8, 17-50 2.8, 300 F/4 IS, and a 50 1.4, along with a bunch of strobe gear.

I honestly haven't used it much in the past year and I've though of getting rid of it. But once in awhile (once every few months), I get a gig that pays $200 for the night that I know I could not shoot with my G3.
  11. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    I was always in the same predicament.
  12. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    If you're no longer using the DSLR and lens, sell them. Simple as that.

If they still fit into your workflow, then you can still keep them.
  13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree completely, but I doubt the OP is using that 5D for sports. If not for sport my DSLR would be gone.
  14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've struggled with this idea several times over the last couple years. I think it helps if you consider it by asking yourself the following questions:

1. What can't you do with your m43 gear that you can do with your FF Canon gear?
    2. How often in your photography do you do those things?

If the answer to 2. is 'regularly' then don't dump the Canon gear - simple. If the answer is 'not very often' then ask yourself:

3. How important is it to be able to do those things when the need arises?/What would I miss out on by not being able to do those things?

Only you can decide. As for me, I've kept my 5DII around for low light use, as well as for shallow depth of field at wider focal lengths. Two places my PENs don't do well.
  15. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Very good points. You could ask a 4th question:

4. Is it possible to rent/borrow gear when the need arises?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    The fact that you start a thread about to sell or not to sell makes me think that you want to believe that m43 will be good enough. If so, then go with that flow. I love to make drastic moves :)
  17. kelly200269

kelly200269 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013
    Leyland, Lancashire
    Martin Kelly
    These are all important questions and considerations. After all, the 'gear' doesn't matter does it, it's the buzz we all get from the pictures we produce that's important.

I suppose I'm just shocked that my MFT gear could have made such a positive impression on me, compared to my FF system. I was always expecting it to play 'second fiddle' to my EOS system, and NEVER thought it could replace it! lol
  18. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I have a huge collection of DSLR and m4/3 gear but I only shoot with my DSLRs now out of nostalgia or when I'm shooting for a client who has the attitude that DSLR=professional and small camera=amateur.

Most of the time it doesn't matter that I use m4/3 gear because the results are just as good or better than what I produce with my DSLR gear. However, I've been on assignments for a few clients in the last year (one ad agency and a couple of wedding clients) who gave me strange looks when I pulled out m4/3 gear.

As Giulio has alluded to on his site, although having a camera that people are used to as being "professional" plays a role, handling yourself and the gear you use in a professional manner is an even bigger part of professional photography.
  19. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I fully admit that I enjoy shooting with my m43 gear much more than my Canon gear. For me, a lot of that has to do with live exposure preview through the viewfinder (VF-2). I really only bring out the DSLR if I'm shooting indoors in low light without flash, if I'm using my Samyang 35mm f1.4 or if I'm doing a dedicated portrait session with/without an external lighting setup. I also use the DSLR to shoot local cyclocross races, but I'm traveling to Louisville this weekend to spectate the UCI Cyclocross World Championships and I'm only bringing my m43 gear because I don't know if I can hold the 5DII and a beer and frites at the same time.
  20. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    See you there! I'm bringing the FF and the GX1! I've never shot at a race like this before so it'll be interesting ....