To sell or not to sell... that is the question !

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi !
Help me decide... I bought out of the blue an E-M1 mk II 2nd hand with very low shutter count (~4000). It was unexpected but I couldn't resist the price. Seems like the shop couldn't get it out of its shelf fast enough. Anyway. The thing is I was considering at that time seconding my original E-M1 (~9000 clicks) with something like an E-M10 mk II, not creating competition.
So now I have too many cameras. I have an original E-M5, about 40.000 clicks which is a beater I will keep if only to go places where I wouldn't risk a more valuable asset. Then a GX9 for "light" street photography, and finally the E-M1 mk II fills the space of travel photography with bigger lenses. And consequently the original E-M1 is a bit redundant.
Would you sell it or keep it ? Money is not a primary concern (of course I could do with a few more banknotes lining my pockets, but I don't need it *now*). My concerns are more about depreciation and maybe reinvest the money into something more useful, although I fear it won't fetch a lot.
Thanks for your inputs,
M.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@mauve I like your kit - primary body; more compact option; beater. In the US market the E-M1 has limited value. But unless you have a need for four bodies I wouldn't keep it. Here's a twist. Sell the E-M1 and the GX9 and buy a PEN-F. Sorry; just can't stop myself from trying to spend more money. Maybe the GX9 is preferred anyway, but I see the PEN-F as an upgrade, and you seem to like Olympus...

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
@mauve I like your kit - primary body; more compact option; beater. In the US market the E-M1 has limited value. But unless you have a need for four bodies I wouldn't keep it. Here's a twist. Sell the E-M1 and the GX9 and buy a PEN-F. Sorry; just can't stop myself from trying to spend more money. Maybe the GX9 is preferred anyway, but I see the PEN-F as an upgrade, and you seem to like Olympus...
The GX9 is a way of dipping my toes into the Panasonic side while I watch carefully the transition between Olympus and the new entity. Also, while the PEN-F is tantalizing, it would need a killer feature to justify costing twice the price of the GX9 for basically the same specs, for me to consider. A weather proof PEN-F for instance, could seal the deal. Currently I don't see a convincing reason to switch, plus I somehow fell enamoured with the L. monochrome D filter of the GX9.
But otherwise your advice is sound :D
Thanks,
M.

Real Name
Walter
Or, one alternative is to keep the EM1, GX9, and EM1 II. Donate the EM5 and an extra kit lens, if you have one, to a nearby primary or middle school for a small tax deduction. It's true that the EM1 won't get much, and even more so for the EM5. Unless you prefer the smaller size of the EM5, I would consider keeping the EM1. At least it can C-AF better than the EM5.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a kinda similar situation.
I have a "surplus" EM1-mk1, now that I have the mk2.
But it would bring so little, that I decided not to sell it, and keep it for my wife when she occassionally shoots with me.

I don't know your lens line up but if it were me I might consider looking at one of the used gear stores for a trade in on a quirky lens, f.95 fisheye etc.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sell sell Sell !!! I have always been pretty good about not "collecting" (as many here would call it instead of the "hording" it really often is) a bunch of electronics I will likely never use again and tend to sell while still worth something including digital cameras. I am also not one to carry two bodies just to have two different lenses mounted and ready like some around here like to do. I have my E-M1.1 and if it broke, I am fairly confident I could get something to replace it in my hands within the week. You on the other hand have other models you can easily fall back on should the E-M1.2 fail so the E-M1.1 isn't even needed as a backup really. Sell it.

Or have it converted to infrared for something completely different than anything you have. :wink:

I have three cameras. two Pen-F and my first Micro Four Thirds body, the original E-M1. Originally I had decided not to sell it in order to have a weather sealed camera for the two Pro lenses when I want to get out in the rainstorm. However the couple of times I have used it for that purpose can be easily counted on one hand. It's pretty much sitting on the shelf for decoration.

I keep thinking about selling it, since it is in good condition and doesn't have many shutter actuations. Yet this model doesn't sell for any good prices and that's one of the reasons I haven't sold it yet.

Your case is different because you not only have other weather sealed cameras and also the E-M1 Mk II for heavier lenses, so you are pretty much covered. Unless you really want to have a similar backup in case your new E-M1 needs to go into service, I see little reason in keeping it. Even if you don't get much for it, the money can always be saved for something else and the longer you (we) wait, the less money we'd get anyway.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I keep thinking about selling it, since it is in good condition and doesn't have many shutter actuations. Yet this model doesn't sell for any good prices and that's one of the reasons I haven't sold it yet.

This is the excuse people use all the time and in a way makes sense (if you actually try to use it occasionally) but in another way it is kind of stupid (if you don't use it at all or have to force yourself to use it occasionally). If I replaced that camera on your shelf with a stack of 200 Euros (I am assuming a conservative resale value of $250 usd), would you just let it sit there because it isn't that much money? Of course not. But letting the camera sit unused is no different if it still has resale value even if it isn't nearly what you paid for it.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, I'm pretty much convinced I should sell it, the sooner the better. I'm going to put the proceeds towards buying an Olympus 12/2.0 or something like that.
Thanks everyone for your valuable opinion.
M.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
When we downsized to a house about half the size of the one we raised our kids in, I had to make a change in approach in situations like this. Previously I kept everything that wasn't worth much. Now I'll sell or donate if I'm not using it, even $5 will buy a pint.

So I understand, 2 years ago I would have kept them all. Now, I would sell either m5 or the old m1.

I'll always keep a beater body with inexpensive lens. Super valuable at the beach, in dusty high winds in the desert SW, if I might have impact damage while trail running, etc.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
?? I think you meant the EM5. There's no way to attach the VF-4 to the EM1, and no need to. :)
Accessories.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

the VF4 used the same accessory port as early flashes (1)

port.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom