1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

To sell or not to sell, and what to sell?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 20, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The OM-D is looking mighty tasty, but the question now is -- do you sell now, and what do you sell?

I see an number of awesome-condition EP3s for sale, from solid folks (buy with confidence!), but I chose the EPM1 route. A different trail altogether.

Even with an OMD, I might still want the EPM1. Handy little shooter. And, even if I decide to sell, I don't think it will drop too quickly in price after the OMD (unless they also announce an EPM2) just because it's already really cheap.

And if I sell the EPM1 now, what if the OMD turns out to be not quite as good as it might seem. I'd be spending up $700 more for (essentially) a built-in EVF? (if the output is as good as it looks, though, then it'll be worth it).

So, I'm inclined to sit on the EPM1. But what about the VF2. The VF2 on the EPM1 is a stop-gap (and was the only option). If I have the OMD, I think I would just go EVF-less on the EPM1. If that's the case, then I don't need the EVF2 longer term, and maybe I should sell it now before the price drops (unless it's already too late!). But, I am taking the kids to Disney April 17th. What if the OMD isn't here by then? I might be missing that VF2 in the bright FLA sun.

Or maybe I should just cancel my pre-order of the OMD, stick with the EPM1 and wait for prices to drop? Nah. Never mind that one. Back to the first options.

Anyone else spinning in place :)

Side note -- was anyone else thinking "X-Pro1" until the images of the OMD started coming in? The OM-D has gotten rid of any itch I might have had to try the ~$3400 Fuji 3 prime system, and instead add try the $1,000 OM-D with my $1,300 3 primes setup (14/25/45 macro). About $1,000 cheaper, higher ISO on the OMD looks good, great sharpness, more compact, faster focusing, weather sealing and IS.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Considering your reasoning and the date of your trip, I'd sit with what you have. I don't think either the VF-2 or the EPM1's resale value will change that much in the next 2-3 months and it'll be better to have a camera you're comfortable with on vacation.

Then once you have both cameras, see if you really want the little one as a backup.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm so very tempted to just spin off all my equipment (PM1, G2, NEX) and buy the OM-D, although I'm still out another 300 or so by my best guesses. I've already pre-ordered and canceled the M5 once. It is a very expensive piece of equipment for me, but damn it looks good...

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, this is probably what i should do.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    It's easy to get caught up with the excitement of a new camera, but don't lose sight of the fact that the cameras we all have already take amazing photos. But please....everyone buy a new OMD and then list it here in the classifieds later this year for 1/3 less when the GH3 gets released ;)

Us trickle-down guys LOVE upgrade-itis!

• Like Like x 3
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think the E-PM1 would be the perfect complement to the OM-D. It would give you the opportunity to carry very small when you wanted... the body is so tiny, also, it would be easy to bring along in a travel situation.

The VF2 seems like it would get a lot less use, if any, on the E-PM1 once you had the OM-D. I am considering selling mine also, but I think that resale value is going to be a bit of an issue as a lot of these come onto the used market. It may be worth it to just to keep mine, in case I end up with an updated E-P3, etc after the OM-D releases.

I was checking out the Fuji a bit, but size and price really kept me from a preorder.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've offloaded a few things in anticipation of the OMD. If I'd wanted the X-Pro, I'd have had to offload a few more things, and more valuable things. But the X-Pro just never looked like the system camera I'd want, as much as I love the X100, and as early reports from the X-Pro and OMD started trickling in, it became way clearer than usual that the X-Pro was not for me and the OMD is more or less exactly what I've been waiting for. Price was only one component in that. Even if the X-Pro had been priced like the X100, I'd still have chosen to go with the OMD instead. If I did want the X-Pro, I'd have to start selling off guitars and bicycle parts and I'm not ready to do that. For the OMD it was just a few pieces of camera gear to get me close enough to buy it body-only.

I'm holding onto the EPL3 for now, but if I like the OMD as much as I expect I'll sell that and take the loss and then if I ever need a second m43 body again, I'm sure there will be an EPM2 or EPL4 that has the new sensor and faster processor.

-Ray

-Ray

8. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd keep the E-PM1. For me it really IS the sweet spot in m43 cameras right now. I would buy one again even over an E-PL3 and E-P3. I think the OMD looks pretty cool but there is something so liberating about traveling with a small camera like the E-PM1. It's unobtrusive, easy to carry everywhere and takes great photos. Also, it's a lot less likely to get snagged as it looks like your basic point and shoot. If it were me I'd be inclined to wait and see what the reports are from early adopters. That also gives you the opportunity to buy one form someone that gets it and decides its not for them. Oh, and...NEVER BUY RETAIL!!!

Having grown up in Miami...IMHO you'll really appreciate an EVF in the Florida sun.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    While the E-M5 looks like a great camera I really can't figure out why it is so compelling. I sat idly buy without much effort when the likes of GH2, E-P3 and GX1 were released, perfectly happy with my GF1 most of the time. For some reason this new body has me beguiled...

I've gone from being committed to waiting 3 - 6 months from release to make a decision to flip-flopping back and forth between silver and black.

Here is my rationale for the E-M5: I currently have an old Canon 30D and a cheap 28-105 lens that is my beach/dirt kit. It's worth maybe $350, and my attitude is if something happens to it no hard feelings. I'm telling myself that for $1300 the E-M5 with weather-proof 12-50 somehow makes sense as an all-weather/condition replacement. Pretty smart, huh? :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the heart wants what the heart wants.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I'm trying to unload my Panasonic 14-140mm, but there are just no takers it seems. I think it might have something to do with the recent GH2 kit prices and now everyone has that lens.

I did offload my Olympus E-1 and got $110 more than I paid for it on eBay. So that was a plus!

13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The heart better get a damn job then.

• Like Like x 6
  14. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    :rofl:

15. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

It's not a 'loss'. Just rental fee. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I second that!

17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am super happy with my EPL2 and will add OM D to my collection and hence no plans to sell anything .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Definitely keep the E-PM1. That is the perfect companion to the OM-D. I would also want to keep the VF-2... if space is the question, it can be packed very neatly into a separate pocket in your camera bag/pouch and shouldn't be much of an issue. The only reason I would sell it is if you really need those funds to afford the OM-D itself. But expect to lose about $80 in selling it if you do...

Don't worry about the VF-2 going down in value though. The PEN line is still its own line and not everybody will want an OM-D or a built-in EVF. The VF-2 is just as important now as then. The biggest threat to VF-2 resale value was the VF-3... but even then, the high quality of the VF-2 kept its value up.

19. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You sure you don't want a 2-body setup? I've found it to be useful. Not only for easing the burden of switching primes, but I can hand the second camera to my gf and she can also take pics as she likes.

Unless your wife already has P&S that she's happy with, of course...

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, I've got a T2i for the wife, to take pics of the kids on the move. The AF tracking on pens just doesn't cut it. I still might keep the EPM1, with or without EVF. I want to at least get the OMD and run it through it's paces right next to the EPM1. If the OMD sensor is as good as it looks, then it'll stay, but if the EPM1 is close, that'll be a harder decision because of the cost.

Can I get an EPM1 with a built in VF AND the new sensor? Please??? :D