1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

To Scotland!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Cederic, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Full gallery (of 87 shots) including full-size versions, but in here I'll focus on some key highlights.

The weather in England was fun. Heavy snow, TV publicising 15 foot drifts, roads closed... people told us we'd never get to Scotland. Indeed, on the way we found Hadrian's Wall looking very white:

Avast%20ye%20scurvy%20Scots-L.jpg

However, by the time we'd reached Stirling we were mocking our friends digging out their cars in England. Robert the Bruce overlooking the William Wallace monument (sorry, cliche tourist shot):

_-3-L.jpg

From there, things just got pretty. Somewhere just west from Pitlochry:

_-7-L.jpg

The natives were friendly enough:

Peekaboo-L.jpg

We had to stop at the loch named when some Scottish king asked his three year old, "What should we call this loch?" Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, Loch Lochy:

Loch%20Lochy-L.jpg

Reaching Eilean Donan at sunset made it impossible to take a bad photograph. I tried anyway:

Bridge%20at%20Sunset-L.jpg

There were tourists taking photographs there. I hate tourists taking photographs:

Deja%20Vu-L.jpg

Still, he'd spotted a good shot:

Sunset%20over%20the%20Loch-L.jpg

Come back in another thread for The Isle of Skye.

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Nice shots, thanks for sharing.

Paul

3. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Nice shots! I was there last June for my honeymoon. I went to some of the same places, including Loch Lochy. I was wondering why it had that name, lol.

Yaniv

4. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I'm not sure myself. I may have made up the bit about the 3yo. It did seem the only reasonable explanation though :)

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    As a Scot would say: "See you, Cederic, you're pure dead magic, so you are"

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice set. I'd like to see the Eilean Donan shot in HDR. :cool:

7. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Aye, I used Lightroom to mess with the highlights and shadows to get that pseudo-hdr feel, but it's all from a single image. I'm not equipped for multi-image HDR (in so many ways). :)

The most obvious downside is a purple line down the edge of the castle; the original image didn't have that. I just prefer the detail in the brickwork and sky to the blandness and shadows the out-of-camera picture had.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice work. I really like Scotland.

9. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Very nice set!

10. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Since there was some debate, it's called Loch Lochy because of ignorant English-speakers who can't be bothered to learn/pronounce the original Gaelic (which is Lochaidh, pronounced somewhat but not entirely like "Loch-ee"). Not a dig at anybody on here, obviously, but nobody should be entirely surprised that English renderings of a foreign language are sometimes woefully inadequate.. the Highlands are full of stupidly and needlessly Anglicised versions of beautiful Gaelic words, sadly.

11. poisson rouge

poisson rouge Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    Thank you. I LOVE your photos from Scotland!

12. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    WOW! -Thanks for posting. I need to visit the land of my ancestors.