1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

To Rome in early december: which lenses?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by niclashill, Oct 29, 2013.

1. niclashill

niclashill Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Goal: GX-7 and two lenses (I will be travelling light).

These are my lenses, which two of the following would you take to Rome for a weekend?

Pana 14 2.5.
    Pana 14-42 II
    Oly 17 1.8
    Panaleica 25 1.4
    Oly 45 1.8
    Oly 40-150

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Take the wide and fast lenses. If you have a travel tripod I suggest packing it, most places allow using tripod.
    I would take 3 the 14 25 45. Or a general zoom for day shots and the 14 or 25 for inside churches where it is dark.

Sent from my HTC One S using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'd find room for three. The 40-150 and the 14-42 for outdoor, and the 17 for indoor use. Contrary to what elavon said, my experience is that most indoor tourist destinations are far too crowded to use a tripod. I was in several European cities last year, and while I probably used the wider end more than the longer, I did use the long end of my 14-140 a good bit.

My travel kit is a 7-14, the 14-140 (now the f/3.5 version) and a 20mm f/1.7. Those three lenses will get me pretty much anything I want to photograph while on vacation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    +1

In European countries the wider the better.

• Like Like x 2
  5. niclashill

niclashill Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    I havent actually thought of the 40-150, but it makes sense. I will do some night photography, and that one is good for that, so why not?

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I just returned from Rome recently. Had 9-18, 14-150, 17/1.8. Used 17/1.8 most of the time. Used 14-150 to get the 25-50mm range for a bit as well. 9-18 is great when you have the opportunity, and there were very few in Rome late in the summer with tourists covering every inch of the attractions. It might be less busy in winter.

If I was to return again, 17/1.8 and 45/1.8. Then I'll stitch panoramas or use my iPhone for really wide shots.

It would be harder but I would do fine with simply 25/1.4 & 9-18 as well.

Out of your kit, I would do 17/1.8 + 45/1.8 OR 14/2.5 + 25/1.4

• Like Like x 1
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    if you want ultimate in lightness then the 17 and 45 would be hard to beat.... you could even leave the camera bag at home. just take a small lens pouch to hold a lens and a spare battery/card that will fit in your jacket pocket.

Also its a good discipline to have just two focal lengths....concentrates the mind.

Watch a great documentary the other night about famous photographer Don McCullin... he seemed to have make a lot of great photos with just a 28 and 135mm lens :)

K

• Like Like x 2
  8. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I'd take 14-42II and either 17/1.8 or 25/1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Take a look at my Rome thread on the partner X forum: since I knew I would only have time for grabbing snapshots, I left my m43 kit at home and took only my X100. 23mm APS F2 is pretty much 17 1.8 on m43.

Didn't really miss much else, although I took a few panoramas.

Maybe the 45 for some candid portraits ...

Most important: enjoy Rome!

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that the 17/1.8 +45/1.8 would serve you well. If you are interested in Art & Architecture would also suggest renting the O12/2.0.

11. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    17+25+45
    35mm 50mm 90mm trio, hard to beat...
    You need an ultrawide for the interior of churches ceiling (go buy the 7-14mm)!

• Like Like x 1
  12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    as with all these kind of questions, it all depends on what kind of photographer you are and how you want to document your experience of a visit to a new place.

Personally when I visit a new place I am less interested in replicating the postcard views, and more about capturing the atmosphere and the unusual that I find.... that to me tells a better story of my experience as opposed to a standard picture of the Trevi Fountain or the Colluseum just to 'prove' you were there.

When visiting a place for a short time, concentrate on what YOU find interesting, not on what you saw in the guide book...

Enjoy Rome... its an amazing city.... and photograph things as they come to you... capture your impressions not the expectations.

Earlier this year I visited Tokyo and indeed Japan for the first time... I took 3 lenses 17/25/75....and I think I got images that captured the experience and my impressions of the place...

you can see some photos here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157633308002291/

or read the blog here

http://ginoux.blogspot.be

We all have different approaches to photography... currently I am on a take less/shoot smart way of thinking... your approach may be differnt

cheers

K

• Like Like x 4
  13. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I was there in late August for 8 days and lens selection is a really hard decision !!

I ended up taking all my M43 lenses & a GH3 as well as my D800E & 24-70. Both systems were used equally as much.

In Rome, everything FL can be used a lot !!!

If your into photography, Rome is the #1 city in the word IMO. Take your best lenses and don't worry too much about the extra weight.

In all honesty, I know it's not on your list, and you want to travel light, but I would take the 12-35/2.8 first and foremost. The reason being that at least you don't need to change lenses that often and soak up the atmosphere and sights easier. It's an amazing lens too ... and goes to 12mm ! You will find this lens very handy inside churches and galleries as well. Used at 2.8 @ 12mm with IOS switched on, this is basically all you need without sacrificing too much ISO and getting grainy shots.

Failing that, definitely your Pana 14-42 II. 28 equiv. at the wide end is pretty good for most shots, but 24 eqiv. is much better IMO. Just leave this on 90% of the time.

The 25/1.4 needs to come, but you don't have to carry it around during the day. Use it at night at 1.4 for some low light action ... especially people doing there thing around the piazzas and outdoor cafes etc. It really came in handy for me in this regard.

The 45/1.8 will be really handy all the time. It will be great for street shots from a distance as well as detail shots such as specific parts of monuments & statues etc. Being able to blow the background out at 1.8 in certain instances is also appealing.

The 40-150 will be very handy all the time during the day as well. There's a massive amount of stuff to shoot that not even the 45/1.8 will capture without severe cropping.

There's a fair few sets in my Flickr from Italy, but I haven't even begun editing the Rome shots except fro the street stuff.

Tom my surprise, street shooting was the most fun I had in Italy as far as photography went. The back drops and colours are just amazing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deang001/sets/72157635528455046/

If I ever went to Rome again and wanted to travel super light, I'd just take the 12-35/2.8 and the 45/1.8.

Good luck and have a great time !!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Taking only two lenses may be great "discipline," but that won't help if you need a longer lens to get a once in a lifetime shot. I'm assuming you won't be in Rome frequently, so don't short yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  15. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    For travelling light, the 14/2.5 (for the monuments and for close-ups ... heck, pretty much anything) and 45/1.8 (for everything else).

The 25 will give you a low light boost, but it is bulkier and the low light AF nothing special (on a gf-3 anyway).

As for "discipline", maybe better that than missing a great shot because you're faffing about in your bag hunting the perfect lens to take said shot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. droidakty

droidakty Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I was in Rome last month and I found the most useful lens was the 12-35 followed by the 7-14.

Sent from my SGH-I467M using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I spend a couple weeks in Rome with a Canon 5D MKII and 24-105L. And everyday I wished I had a wider lens. Domed ceilings, art installations and ancient ruins scream for more FOV. The 14 2.5 is one of my fav optics on M43 but yields only 28mm equivalent on FF. I'd feel really constrained with that FOV.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Depends on how you tend to shoot, but I wouldn't go to any of the great European cities without something wider. A 12-35 and 7-14 would probably be what I'd take and maybe a 14-17 prime for strew shooting if you do any of that... I don't have any of those lenses at the moment but if I was heading to Europe with an m43 kit, I would have em!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Great tips on a great thread! I'm about to head there myself and keep toying with the lens/camera combos.

@deang001 - LOVE your Italy photos on Flickr! Added you as a contact and will be looking at your photos for inspiration on my trip.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Looking at these replies, I now know why Rome was so full when I was there: all these m43 fans!

• Like Like x 2