To owners of both GF1 and EP1/2 - why own both?

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
I've had my EP2 since Christmas. I like it a lot except for two things - a slow AF and no built-in flash. I picked up an used GF1 body only last week, because I was enamored with the idea of having a faster AF and a built-in flash. Now that I have both the EP2 and GF1, I am pondering if it's worthwhile to keep both cameras. Both cameras have their pros and cons.

I noticed that there are a lot of people who own both the GF1 and EP1/2. What are the reasons that you own both cameras? Do you use both of them, and if so, do you use them differently? Or is one retired since you purchased the other one?

BTW, this isn't a thread about GF1 vs. EP1/2. I am merely trying to determine if I should keep both cameras by figuring out if there are advantages of having two m4/3 cameras.

Thanks for the help!

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
You probably also need a G1 or GH1 then - if you are not sure

and a "bucket full" of legacy lenses and adapters

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
I had both the EP1 and GF1 to get a feel for which I liked better... The GF1 felt better in my hand in terms of controls.. My P&S was a leica dlux4 so menuing was the same. I then got the EP1 and I was blown away by not just the colors OOC but by the advanced features like image overlay in camera raw edit, digital level etc... Then I tried my buddies ep-2 and the EVF won me over..

If I needed something with great AF and the Built in flash I'd have a gf1 laying around for parties...

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've had my EP2 since Christmas. I like it a lot except for two things - a slow AF and no built-in flash. I picked up an used GF1 body only last week, because I was enamored with the idea of having a faster AF and a built-in flash. Now that I have both the EP2 and GF1, I am pondering if it's worthwhile to keep both cameras. Both cameras have their pros and cons.

I noticed that there are a lot of people who own both the GF1 and EP1/2. What are the reasons that you own both cameras? Do you use both of them, and if so, do you use them differently? Or is one retired since you purchased the other one?

BTW, this isn't a thread about GF1 vs. EP1/2. I am merely trying to determine if I should keep both cameras by figuring out if there are advantages of having two m4/3 cameras.

Thanks for the help!

I would ask YOU some questions.
Do you want to keep both cameras?
Do you enjoy using both cameras?
Can you afford to keep both cameras?
If the answer is yes to all questions then why not?

I have a GF1 and an E-P2, and other cameras besides plus a lot of lenses
and I decided some time ago to stop feeling any guilt about the amount of photographic equipment that I own and use.
I could invent some story about it being my job, I need a backup, one camera gives me something that I can't etc. etc.
But the truth is:-
I want to keep both cameras.
I enjoy using both cameras.
I can afford to keep both cameras.

Too many times people ask questions about whether people need this piece of equipment,
why did you get this instead of that? and other assorted enquiries.
Last time I checked its not a criminal offence to own more than one camera.
It makes as much sense to me as asking how many pairs of shoes we own and do we need them all.
Contrary to what some people seem to want, we really don't have to justify our purchases to anybody,
except maybe our bank manager every now and then.

You stated that both cameras have pros and cons, which means that you like things about each camera,
which is surely enough to justify keeping both of them.
The important thing is to decide what YOU want to do.
Don't feel that you owe an explanation to anyone.
Eric Clapton owns a lot of guitars. Does anyone ask him why
he's got so many? Probably not, and it could be argued that its
none of our business anyway.

I may be wrong but I get the sense that you would like to keep
both cameras. If I'm correct then there should be nothing that stops
you from doing that, unless you have some financial reason for not
keeping both, which since you didn't mention it I assume you don't.

Its certainly worthwhile to keep both cameras if you get
something from each of them. If you are using one at the
expense of the other, then maybe you should think about
whether its worth keeping both. If these are the only cameras
you have then its obviously a good idea to keep a backup.
Stuff happens and we all know the law that says the moment you
sell your backup, your remaining camera breaks down.

So if you really decide that you like one of the cameras much more
than the other, then its maybe a good idea to get two of the same
model instead of one of each.

Having got that out of my system -
"What are the reasons that you own both cameras?"
I like them both. One is a backup to the other. I can't decide
which one I like the best. I like the EVF on the EP-2, I prefer
the video on the GF1. Ones Red and ones Black.

"Do you use both of them, and if so, do you use them differently? "
Yes. Because of the EVF I use my manual focus adapted lenses
on the E-P2. If I'm shooting video I use the GF1. But otherwise I
just use the one I feel like using on the day.

"Or is one retired since you purchased the other one?"
No I use both of them, depending on the above.

You may not have expected such a long answer, and if you're still
awake and have got this far, then can I conclude by saying that they
are both extremely good cameras, as you will have realised by now,
and if some disaster would befall me so that I could only keep one of them,
I would probably have to toss a coin to decide.

Best Wishes

Enjoy your cameras.

ahuyevshi

Mu-43 Veteran
SoundImage great post.... That pretty much sums up how I feel... I do often feel guilty about keeping things that I know I won't use much even though I can afford to...

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
@Soundimageplus - I guess I am feeling guilty about having both the GF1 and the EP2. And yeah, I admit that I have a few other cameras too. And yes, I would like to keep them both. I can afford to keep them both, but feel like I shouldn't ... Urghh. I guess I was hoping that someone would say, sell one and go buy yourself a new lens! Or better yet, just buy another a new lens anyway!!

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Good questions and I'll be interested to read people's responses. Of course you know there are some people who are a bit addicted to collecting cameras but we'll hope there's more to it than that... :smile:

Addiction ... me ... never. Ok ... I probably am.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Aaargh. I finally decided that I'm going to return the body only GF1. I think I may get it again at a later time with the 20/1.7, and then sell the 20/1.7 separately, given that I already have one. The GF1 body will end up being less expensive that way.

Or maybe I'll get an EPL1 instead.

Yes ... I have a problem ... I am an addict ...

Rich M

Mu-43 Veteran
Now that I have both the EP2 and GF1, I am pondering if it's worthwhile to keep both cameras.

Armanius......I don't know....but as of a few hours ago I am in the same category as you. I just picked up an E-P2.

However, as I sit here waiting for the battery to charge, I am holding the GF-1 and I realize that I will NEVER sell that camera. It is a classic....a keeper...it's beautiful.

I bought the E-P2 for very practical reasons....it has attributes that I need...but the GF-1 has a shape and feel that really resonates for me.

I guess that means I will keep them both.

Regards.....R

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It must be a case of either you like it or you don't. I have a GF1 and to me it feels and has the look of maser professionalism. Ok, you EP owners, i'm not nocking Olympus but i do think Panasonic has done a good job in styling the GF1. But maybe later on today i will have a G1 in my collection as well. Just maybe:smile:

iconindustries

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
i own many cameras ... my ep1 and gf1 compliment each other nicely , i will keep both and when another m43 camera comes out that weakens my knees i will buy that too
the newSAMSUNG ex1 1, 24-72 point and shoot with a 1.8-2.5 zoom is also on my wish list
[waiting for iq info]
even though i have a ricoh gx 200 24-72 and a cx 2 28-200 which get a workout each week

i do not own a car [living in ny]so my carbon footprint is reasonably small for a westerner
i feel no guilt owning many cameras and lenses , certainly more than i need.... yes im a junkie... so what
i love good cameras and good computers and good mp3\mp4 players and will keep buying
them as im inspired by great equiptment

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Its about fun..

Photography is enjoyable and should be fun ...
I own and like the GF1 .. the EP-2 has attractions so with a great online price I got one .. the Oly attraction what is it .. now I can discover what it means.

Will I keep use both yes they are m43 bodies

The GF1 is easy to use has flash and is compact.

The EP-2 is the same sans flash but has IBIS a big plus on non OIS lenses
the Fab. EVF the great jpeg output.

The GF1 has a few controls/settings that are quick to access but in normal shooting little needs to be changed so the EP-2 is no hindrance.

The GF-1 is a nice body design but from the new kid in town whereas the EP-2 is so like a body from a camera manufacturer with a long history

Both fit in a gadget bag with a dedicated lens each.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes the
EVF
IBIS
The Level
the various INFO display choices
Colour OOC

Are great

I had both the EP1 and GF1 to get a feel for which I liked better... The GF1 felt better in my hand in terms of controls.. My P&S was a leica dlux4 so menuing was the same. I then got the EP1 and I was blown away by not just the colors OOC but by the advanced features like image overlay in camera raw edit, digital level etc... Then I tried my buddies ep-2 and the EVF won me over..

If I needed something with great AF and the Built in flash I'd have a gf1 laying around for parties...

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
i have a G1 which I really like

I have just bought an EP-1 and the AF is just slow compared with the G1 ,,,, and I am missing shots

I also find the menu system on the EP-1 poor compared with the G1

I bought the EP-1 for the smaller size, (for situtions when I needed pockitable), and video and IBIS - and because the price was attractive - maybe I should have bought the GH1 to start with as I value the built in EVF, swivel screen, and now video, (initially I did not want video).

I am happy to have two or three or more cams, as it's my hobby ....... I still have my D300 that I use and would like an S90 ...... etc., etc.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Urgghhh .... with all these opinions ... makes me want to re-order the GF1 immediately! I think I feel the most guilt when I am about to leave the house for a photo excursion, and I leave a camera at home. Went out with my old man, and decided to just take the old venerable E510. I kept thinking about the poor EP2 at home.

Here's a question that is sort of related ... if I buy the GF1 again, should I get it with the 20/1.7 and then sell the 20/1.7 (because I already own it), should I get the GF1 with 14-45 (but I already have the Oly m14-42 plus the 4/3 version of the 14-42), or should I go for body only again (if I can find it)?

When I picked up photography around Christmas 2008, I never thought I'd spend so much time and money on it. And loving every minute of it!!! :)

F1L1P

Mu-43 Veteran
This post may seem a bit cruel, but indulge me and allow me just to write an opposite opinion.
nota bene: I do not own GF1 or EP1, nor this post is attack on starter of this thread. Regard to it more as philosophical exchange of arguments. My English is also not so good to fluently transfer all my thoughts into words.

Your indecisiveness is what wonders me.
There will always be a better camera model, next generation or couple a generations ahead will be better than the one before, it's simply called evolution of technology. Sometimes you have to and be willing to make a compromise.
There is no perfect camera, but there is a thing called the best camera. It is the one you use.
Ask yourself do you really need two cameras that are different by only one or two functions? You can't combine color rendering of Olympus, AF speed of Panasonic... And at the end - does it all really mean *that* much to you?

I think sometimes we are far too concentrated on tools rather on improving our skills with the gear we have. It's cheaper to improve your skills, but it is much harder. You can't go to store and buy yourself a better brain with new Venus 2 dual core dual layer engine, but maybe we will feel better photographers and think that we will produce better photos with new and better and improved products. You can't buy inspiration either.

Perhaps most think that the more gear one have the better work one will produce. Sometime it is better to be limited, to have only one tool, only one camera, even only one lens and to work with it. To improve yourself.
The more choice you have, the more you will feel free, but also there's a chance you might be lost without a clear goal and chance for improvement. Improvisation is also one magic word that seems to be lacking a lot around these days.

Use what you have, and use it to best of your ability! Practice makes perfect, and you can't have quality practicing when you have multiple choice to practice with, because there is a chance you won't be able to practice at all, you'll just end up accumulating lots of new and shiny gear.

I hope nobody will have hard feelings after reading this.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
F1L1P, I can't imagine anyone having their feelings hurt by reading your thoughtful post. You've made many, many good points, and I appreciate your observations very much. Thank you for taking the time to respond... This is a thread that there's more to than meets the eye.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
@F1L1P - no hard feelings at all. I agree with you on just about everything!

Like I said before, I admit ... that I have a problem ... I am a gadget junkey. As much as I like photography, part of the "like" is the mere fact that there are "gadgets" involved. I am always looking for the latest and greatest. Fortunately, I can't afford a Leica S2, or else I'd be in deep trouble!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom