To me Its a RIP off!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dakota, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    I was looking at the G85 real close. Then I find out you can not get a kit with anything but the 12X60 lens in a kit. What gives with that??????? I have no use for that lens. I found a body only on Amazon for about $897.00. That to me is crazy. If that is the way Panasonic does business I will PASS on Panasonic.
    Thanks Bill

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    K, thanks Bill. Good luck with your next adventure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Look at it as a $900 camera with a free lens. Or just chill the f out.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    You can sell that kit lens ~$200 on ebay, or use it when you hand the camera to somebody you don't trust (for example, kids).;) 

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    How could they???

Did you really expect Panasonic to make something up just for you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    What I would like to know is why they do not offer this camera with more lens options like a lot of other manufactures do with there products. I have had Panasonic camera before and had very good luck and good quality photos can not complain there. I may have come of a little strong I apologize there but still I would like it in Camera only no lens and I pick the lens. Most manufactures you can buy the body only and pick your own lens sure would be nice if Panasonic could do this also. Panasonic offers this option on many of there cameras. I may have to go to a different G model that have different offers but the G85 was in my price range. Time will tell. I want to buy new and not used.

And demiro I guess I WILL JUST CHILL THE F OUT if that's OK ???

Thanks Bill

• Like Like x 1
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    that's probably why there are so many unbundled 12-60, just resell the lens.

8. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    Hi Clint; I understand what you say I am probably not the only one that would like to buy the body only. I do not expect them to make a special camera just for me would be nice to have that choice. I do not do much video at all so that's why that camera was interesting to me rather than stepping up to a more expensive G model which a lot of it I would not use.

Thanks Bill

9. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    The G85 was released a while back in October 2016. Since then Panasonic has released 5 m43 cameras in the US (GH5, GX850, G9, GH5s, and the GX9). I'm guessing that the G85+12-60 kit is probably the last remaining inventory for that camera. I bet they'll eventually come out with a replacement for it, but I'm guessing though that the release of the stills oriented G9 (and the recent release of the GX9) pushed back the announcement/release date for that particular replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Probably regional stock issues. I still see the G85 listed from retailers in NZ body-only, or with any of the 14-42 f/3.5-5.6, 12-60 f/3.5-5.6, 12-35 f/2.8, or 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 as a kit.

11. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Just move to New Zealand. They sell it body only here.

Problem solved......
    Of course we pay $1499 just for the body, so I guess you aren’t so hard done by. :hmmm:

Edit: Ninja’d by @wjiang@wjiang
    One of the camera stores here told me that because we are such a small market, Panasonic NZ no longer bring the lens bundles (with the lens in the box) into the country, and instead do “soft bundles” which are basically discounts for getting a lens and body together. It means they don’t need to carry as much stock overall, and are less likely to get caught with stock that won’t sell. It also means that body only is always available.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    It certainly looks like a regional thing - you can easily get a 'body only' in the UK too.

13. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    In Australia at least some shops can make their bundles to a certain degree, or so they tell me. There are official Panasonic bundles like when they give away the 25mm cheap prime and official kits. The shops I guess loose a bit of marginin the hope of greater sales when they make up their own bundles.

14. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    I think in most cases it is more cost effective to get a kit and sell the lens. It's how I bought my GX8 for about 500€ new. It's a bit more hassle, but I think most of the time it's worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    This is what I did, 950 for everything, sold the lens 250, the G85 cost me 700.

16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    guys Guys GUYS!!! Stop making sense! Why would Bill want to buy the camera with the lens, then immediately sell the lens, making the body cost less than what it would if he could just buy it body-only? That's far too logical, and for Bill, it's a RIP off!!!!!!

He already said he's going to PASS on Panasonic, so why are we bothering wasting our time showing him how buying the kit is actually a better deal financially once he sells the lens. Just let Bill go along his merry way, where hopefully he will find a manufacturer that he won't have to PASS on because of a RIP off!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    four_col_stop-making-sense_zps97fa3d4c.
    We?
    Why you say "we" whiteman
    6f897379348135993b6a6ccd50ca7cf1.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    Luckily it's only a camera and lens. Try buying a car. They insist on selling you some expensive tyres that are often worse than the ones you deadly want. And then there's the engine size versus overall spec. You can't have the smallest engine with the top spec package. Now that's what I call a rip off!

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2017
    Right right right. But who is Bill going to pass the G85 to? I mean, my G7 is plenty fine but if someone felt like giving me an IBIS body that would be OK too.

Or maybe it's an acronym thing? I know pull aim squeeze sweep is big with fire extinguishers, which is potentially an elegant metaphor for shutting down GAS. Or is it a personal alert safety system, where despite that great price watch that just fired the deal is just not compelling? I'm pretty sure it's not a procurement automated source system or primary avionics software system (at least, I hope not) but maybe it's a plan to achieve self support? Tighten the belt, keep funds close, check the portable air safety system, stick with a plain and simple stove, all that. Clearly it's a public action but does it spell success? If Bill turns out to need a G85 to meet the requirements for preferred advertising submission size it could be a bad call. I suppose he is, in a way, reaching out for personal assistance support services but this forum is really more of a peer assisted study session (though, admittedly, some of us seem quite big on permanent access speedway seating). I suppose it's a positive alternative to school suspension but I don't know that Bill's decision will prevent alcohol sales to students. Perhaps it would best if we gave him some plans to achieve self support. At least, I assume Bill's old enough to be beyond a paediatric asthma severity score. But it could be this is really just about wanting Panasonic to have more professionalism, ability, skill, and service.

Right now this thread raises so many more questions than it answers. I'm terribly confused.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.