1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

To GM1 or not GM1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by peterpix, Feb 16, 2014.

1. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I was playing with one at Samys here in LA, yesterday... It is remarkably small, and the silent shutter ( once I had switched off the artificial beeps and shutter noise) was pretty much silent.

I tried the 14mm pancake on it and it made a very small package indeed.

In the end I walked out without buying... I am sure there will be one in my future somewhere, as for my kind of street shooting it could work very well. lack of evf is not a big no no to me... i shot with the e-p1 for long enough.

Think i will hang off a while to see if the price drops a bit, or the body only version in black is more easily available.... or Olympus come up with something similar :)

K

3. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Price is the key, should drop too, the GX7 has dropped here in OZ, now the kit with 20mm can be bought new for AUD$1039.00 in store Pana Australia stock! Thats around 940 bucks!

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Can't wait to see the Olympus response to the GM1

5. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I just ordered a body only sale I found on eBay, as I plan to use it as a backup/pocket camera while traveling this year. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Meh. I'm also thinking about getting one, but I haven't yet. Even now, though, I could have told you this camera wasn't designed for Antartica.

Also I think he's wrong about the lack of an EVF--my first camera was digital with an OVF I never used once and between that and my EPL2 I only used smart phones, I think there are a lot of millennials like me that couldn't care less about pulling something to your eye, and have grown up being able to take photos without losing all your peripheral context. In my three years of owning the PL2 the sun has only made it difficult to see the screen a handful of times, and I long ago figured out how to compensate (use your hand or body as a shade).

Anyway, I'm still likely to get this camera (just as soon as I get my tax return).

8. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    +1 Meh

I think the GM1 has been built expecting iA to be on 99,9% of the time. From such a perspective, I think it should perform mighty well.

9. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Got one. I agree the rear dial is fiddly but as laser8 says, used on iA, it produces great results and you can carry it with you all the time. With the Panasonic 14mm, or even the Oly 45mm it is a dinky, yet very capable little package.

As to whether it is useable without an EVF, well at least you know it doesn't have one before you buy it, so there should be no surprise.

gm1_zps2521b612.

gm1a_zpsa37d410f.

10. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    I'm loving mine. Although I haven't had much of a chance to really use it (other than take tons of dog pics indoors) since the weather here has been terrible (NYC).

First, I think too many people are deceived by its size and looks. It has the same sensor as the GX7. I never have to menu dive thanks to the physical controls and the on-screen Fn buttons. Not sure why some think its meant to be used in iA mode.

True, the dial is a bit fiddly but its something you adapt to (or at least I did). Obviously you cant use the GM1 the same way you use larger cameras. Just like how you cant drive a sports car the same way you drive a truck.

I miss having an EVF (coming from a G1 and a Canon 5D), but I realize its impossible to have an EVF on a camera this small. Literally, there is no room for it unless you add a bulge somewhere. If I wanted an EVF, I would just go with the GX7, but I passed on that because its too big.

But anyway, I was looking for a small alternative to my 5D when I bought this GM1 and it has filled that role perfectly. For casual hang-outs or just days where I don't expect to take pictures at all, I can throw the GM1 in my jacket pocket and go about my day. It'll be there if I see some kind of opportunity.

For days where I do plan on taking photographs, I'll bring my 5D.

Soo whether or not the GM1 is right for you, depends on you.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm not sure the antarctic trip was the best example for why you would want this camera. If I was on a big expensive photo-trip like that, I'd pull out the EM1 as well. The GM1 is a little street camera, a coat pocket camera, a backpack camera, an outdoor party camera, etc. Polar expedition, not so much.

12. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I agree, but he's got a point--the dial is horribly designed, and in my few days of use I'm already finding the same problems he did. Whoever designed this should be fired. I always loved the clickable thumbwheel on the old GH1/2 and wondered why Panasonic abandoned it.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I do take note of his dial comments. Of course, his images weren't exactly discouraging.:smile:

14. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    He seems to be applying double standards here - the review he linked to of the Sony RX100 was full of nothing but praise, yet the GM1 is heavily criticised for the lack of an EVF.:hmmm:
    The criticism of the control ring is fair (although it's not caused me too much trouble so far), but the viewfinder comments are, frankly, odd. If you buy a camera that's too small to have a viewfinder, it seems bizarre to criticise it for not having one!

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I disagree - speaking as someone who only got into photography in the digital age. A viewfinder (I often shoot right eye VF, left eye open) shot leaves me more aware of my surroundings because all the shooting and framing info is right there, and the other eye is looking around. Plus more stability. I love the flip screens on both my main cameras for some kinds of shots, but my preference is still for EVFs, with which I feel more connected with both the camera and the scene unfolding around me.

16. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Bah these reviewers need to get over themselves! :coco: Its a microscopic camera for gawds sake! You want an evf go buy a GX7, thats what I did...:cool:

Its a brilliant size for pocketing with one lens, it comes with a good performing and looking LITTLE lens already, and its capabilities in the situations it will likely be most used at (night time, outings, parties etc) are superb! GX7 sensor in a cigarette packet body, bring it on!

17. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    I've had my GM1 for months and have never noticed any issues with the control wheel. I shoot manual with it and don't have any real problems other then it's different. Just going from my GH3 to GH2 is confusing though, so it takes some time for my brain to re-adjust to the different configuration.

I too still like the push wheel on the GH2 and wish the GH3 had one as well. I never turn both at the same time anyway and having two just means using another finger.

18. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Here's the thing, Reichmann has been using cameras longer than many people on this forum have been alive, and he's used lots of cameras. A number of cameras have the same control setup on the back of the camera as the GM1. I haven't used the GM1, but the E-PL5 & E-PL2 use the same types of control and I have the same issues with them that Reichmann did with the GM1. Having owned several Canon P&S cameras and the EOS-M with the same control setup, but executed vastly better (buttons have a clear tactile snap and it's easy to turn the wheel without depressing the edge and change other settings). If one has no idea what properly done controls feel like, then they don't know that crappy ones are crappy.

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The GM1 has its place, it is not, like all cameras, perfect for all occasions. With the 12 - 32 it is the perfect camera for those, like my wife, who travel very light for business and having a tiny camera is the only real option. Will it replace our other cameras? No. But it is great have-with-you-at-all times camera.

20. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    The RX100 has the same control wheel too. Agree, double standard.

Maybe for you. But I'm willing to bet for an entirely new generation of people who have been taking photos with ONLY their iPhones, would probably care less for an EVF and in fact probably feel uncomfortable using it.

Well I think that's the problem. Hate to say it, but he's a dinosaur (no disrespect he is a good photographer). The GM1 wasn't built for him nor anyone who can't adapt. GM1 is a future forward camera almost tailored to people who have grown up using sensative touch screens, and cameras with no EVFs, and are unaware of the shortcomings new technology sometimes bring. These are not the people who have been using big chunky cameras up to their eye when taking a photo in the last decade. It's kinda like how people don't use fax machines any more because of email. But you have to realize that people don't email anymore EITHER, because now there is fb/twitter/chat etc. etc.