to get the 14-140 or not????

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by sinar, Jul 30, 2011.

1. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Hi Guys,

I’d really like to hear some opinions on whether it might be a good idea for me to get the 14-140, as i keep running through the pros and cons and can’t come up with a conclusion.

I currently have a Panasonic G2, i bought it solely for photography, as a lighter alternative to my heavy nikon kit.

I have the G2, 14-42 and 20mm.

I’m now beginning to get interested in the idea of making movies (i used to make home movies many decades ago on an old betamax camcorder)

I’ve decided to get the GH2, but i’m not sure if I should go body only, or go for the 14-140mm.

I will soon be getting the Olympus 9-18mm to use for stills and video so i’ll have the wide end covered.

I have the following Nikon lenses: Tamron 17-35, Nikon 28-105, sigma 100mm macro, Nikon 50mm F1.8 and a Nikon 70-200 F2.8

Obviously these would all be used manually, but i don’t have a problem with that, as most of my shooting will be controlled, on a tripod, so I’ll be using manual focus whatever lens I use, I’m not 100% sure what sort of film I’ll be making, maybe a short documentary.

I’m thinking I don’t really “need” the 14-140, but I think it would be handy, and also useful for stills when I don’t want to lug around multiple lenses.

It only works out about £400 buying it in the kit, but it will be much more expensive if i decide to buy it later.

Has anyone had a similar dilemma? any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Julie

2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    It's also much more valuable if you decide to sell it later. For example, if someone offered me their 14-140mm for the $500 (difference between the two kits in US) and the 14-42mm coming with my G3, I'd jump for it. They regularly sell for well over $600 here and on Ebay.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Why not get the M. Zuiko 14-150?

4. lapiz

lapiz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2010
    Julie go for the 14-140 with the camera. They are made for each other and it's the only sensible (economic) way to buy that lens. I got the combo in January and it has improved my photo & video taking every day since because they are such a joy together.

Sure I also use a lot of other lenses but the 14-140 is way the best for video and not shabby for stills so its on the camera a lot of the time.

Your existing lens collection is pretty good and manual on the GH2 is exciting with the new processor and engine so it would round off what you already have ... you might want to sell the 14-45 though and think about the 100-300 !

John

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I sold my 14-45 and 45-200 and bought the 14-140. I'm very happy with the exchange and actually came out a bit ahead on the money.

It is not just carrying an extra lens (the 14-140 is considerably heavier than either of the other two, but not heavier than both of them), it was for me an issue of too much lens changing. I am mainly a tourist photographer and the 45/aka 90 mm change point just didn't work for me. Too many things outdoors that want less than 90mm effective focal length and too many that want more. Too much exposing the sensor to dust and dirt as a result, too.

Now I carry the 14-140 and an Oly 9-18. A great combination.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The 14-140 is an fantastic lens. The OIS is absolutely amazing. I have routinely made images, hand held, at 140mm (280mm equivalent) down to 1/15th second with very crisp results. Here's but one example with the GH2, ISO 2500, RAW, NO noise reduction applied, no flash, available light only, hand held at 1/15th sec. in the middle (interior) of a room. This candid was taken while I was wandering around the room during a birthday party.

P1010028.

The 28 to 280mm equivalent focal length range is extremely useful to have in a single lens. I'm still amazed at the crispness of hand held images at 1/15th sec. with 280mm equivalent focal length. Very impressive, Panasonic. It's not a small, lightweight lens, but it's exceptionally capable and a good choice for choosing a very capable one-lens kit. Also an excellent lens for video. Very quiet. And did I mention the amazing OIS? :wink:

The GH2 deserves a lot of credit for the image quality as well... while it's not the "sexiest" m4/3 camera, it is arguably the most capable m4/3 camera you can buy.

7. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Thanks

Thanks for comments, you've helped me to decide to get the 14-140 with the GH2, I'd hate to not get it and then regret it and have to pay more for it later.

I'm ordering the kit tomorrow, so should get Wednesday, I can't wait.

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The GH2 and 14-140 is an extremely capable kit. It may not meet all of your needs (pocket size), all the time (that's why two bodies and a variety of lenses is great to have), but you won't be disappointed in the quality of the images. Here's another hand held at 140mm (280mm equivalent) with the GH2.

P1020506-b.

The 20mm/1.7 is another lens I would highly recommend.

9. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Nice shot, I already have the 20mm F1.7, i love it for photographs but find focus a bit noisy for video, I have not tried to manually focus with video yet though.

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    The 14-140mm is still my go-to lens for almost all shooting situations where I'm not 100% sure of what I'm going to be doing. I use it for all of my casual occasion photography of kids and the like.