1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

To Flickr or not to Flickr

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Briar, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking its about time I found myself a little home on the internet for my photos and I was wondering where other members store their photos online. I know we can store some here but I'm fast running out of room and I'm only on day 33 of my PAD blog so have got a long way to go! I don't want to delete my past PAD photos to make room for more because I'm quite proud of my efforts and kind of want to keep them there as a testament of my hard work (its not easy doing PAD, as fellow padders and past padders will know).

Flickr initially seemed a good place, afterall its free but confess I don't find it the most user friendly for browsing pictures (not tried to upload or sort files on it). Maybe Flickr has merits that I am just not aware of or some other site has something better to offer? I don't know.

Just wondering if anyone had good suggestions about where to store photos online (free or subscription services)? Its basically just so I can post my photos here and to share them with friends and family, but one that's easy to upload to, sort files and browse ... and one that looks nice too!

Cheers, Briar

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I use Flickr, and I ended up getting the paid service after a year of using it for free. If you play around with it a bit you may find it's actually quite user-friendly for categorizing and organizing your photos. They also have a free uploader app you can download and use without uploading through the site directly. I use it all the time.

If you have a blog, you can always link the photos you have on Flickr directly to your blog, so as far as the world knows those photos are hosted on your blog.

• Like Like x 2
  3. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    Zenfolio is what I use. I have over 30Gb of images stored there now and I'm in my fourth year with them. 50 a year for new users. I use it to embed images in my website and blog, the slideshow is cool, and you get five bucks off with someone's code, like mine.

Zenfolio | Ricky Niell

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been a flickr user for about 5 years now. They have gone through a few minor changes, which I'm still adjusting to, but overall it's a very good free service. There is only one serious limitation built into the free version. You can only have 200 images viewable, with the most recent 200 being what people can see.

You can set up 'sets' that categorize and organize images, which is handy. However, the vast majority of views are within your main photostream, which is strictly chronological. It would be great if flickr allowed you to reorder your photostream and select what order they will appear.

If you pay the $25 annual fee (no break for new or renewing members) you get unlimited (I think) storage space and all your photos will be viewable.

What's nice about flickr is that you can join topical groups, or set up a new group and recruit members to submit photos to your pool. Also, images can have 'tags' assigned to them for easy searchability.

There are various other features, like the ability to embed the photos into blogs, find other friends, send internal emails, etc. And it also can handle video.

It's definitely not a 'portfolio' type of service. But it's great for sharing photos with friends or allowing anyone to see what you're up to. And because of the latter aspect, it can also be inspirational if you search out other talented users.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I really like Flickr...

I pay 25$ and have unlimited storage space. If you use Mac it is really easy to upload from iPhoto (one click). Also good free upload programs for windows..

• Like Like x 3
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I can see the benefits of a number of sites, but I really enjoy what Flickr offers. I use the uploader, it's easy and fast. Aperture 3 has a built in uploader, too, but I like the free Flickr uploader which I keep on my Mac's "dock". The $25 a year seems pretty inexpensive to me and the many options such as photographic "pools", the customizable contacts/friends and family levels, etc., make it quite handy and, yes, fun.:biggrin:

They've just changed the site recently, I think, and it just takes a bit of time to learn the new layout. I quite like it. It's really easy to embed here, and a great way to stay in touch with what people are doing in the photographic lives outside of the forums, too.:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    Thanks everyone for replying to my post - it was very much appreciated. From your comments, it became pretty clear that Flickr was a firm favourite so this morning I just thought, "what the heck" and signed up with them. I had planned to try the free service first ... and I did, for a couple of hours, but found the upload app so easy to use that I managed to use up all my free upload limit before lunchtime! I hadn't even uploaded any of my e-pl1 pics at this point (ummm still haven't) so reached for my credit card and signed up for the year for the unlimited uploads. I'm not screaming "help" yet, so, so far so good! Not looked yet on how you link Flickr to my posts/blog but will get there, eventually!

Many thanks again everyone.

Cheers, Briar

• Like Like x 1
  8. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You can also upload straight from LR3.

One thing I am unsure is that LR tells me Flickr will replace photos when I republish an updated photo unless I have "pro" account. Hence, I got the paid service, but the photos and links still seem to be replaced (losing comments and view counts), has anyone come across the same problem?

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure exactly what you mean "when I republish an updated photo"? Do you mean you want to replace the same image with a newer version? I've never tried that, I always either delete, or just add a new version with a note...so all my devoted viewers can follow along.:rofl: I'm kidding, really. I do appreciate people's feedback very much, however I also use Flickr as a way to view my own stuff and get a more removed look at the photos, if you know what I mean.

So you'd like to replace a photo but keep the comments, is that it? I haven't figure out how to do that, but haven't really tried. Sometimes their Help section is quite helpful.

P.S. Briar, congrats and please add your photostream link to your signature line when you have time.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I use flickr and smugmug. I find they have different purposes. flickr is great for sharing with the world and getting into the community I think. More than anything, I use it kinda blog like to just throw stuff out there. I should add, I found it terrible for sharing sets of pics to family... it just doesn't jive well with the whole photostream thing (IMO anyway).

smugmug, I find, is excellent for traditional sharing. Lots of privacy options, and a traditional layout for sharing to family and friends (zenfolio is similar, but I was not a fan of the backend). service is excellent as well.

picasaweb is another option, it's integration w/ picasa is really nice if you use it. The traditional layout of albums is easy for organizing as well.

• Like Like x 2
  11. hmpws, I have found that LR3 has no problem "updating" a photo on Flickr without losing the comments or view counts, but only if you originally uploaded the photo from LR3. I have a bunch of older photos that I worked up through various means (Photoshop Elemnts, the Olympus software, GIMP, etc.) that I would love to update (with, say, my watermark), but I can't figure out how to get LR3 to do that automatically.

It doesn't help with the LR3 integration issue, but if you go to the individual photo in Flickr, hit "Actions," and look near the bottom of the resulting menu, you'll see a link for "Replace this photo," which will allow you to upload a new .jpg without messing up anything.

12. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I use flickr, have for five years. I've got 2300 photos up there and 200,000 views.

My most-viewed photo of all time is of the details of a home-made shaving horse (for chair making). Sadly, this one's not mine, but it's made by someone I attended a workshop with:

My fourth-most viewed photo is one of my favorites I've taken. It's in Alexandria, Egypt, where women typically don't go into the sea because of modesty issues (except possibly on private beaches, but even there, they're harassed by peer pressure). If they do, they go in fully clothed, where the men are free to wear normal swim trunks. Here, a husband is showing charming empathy with his wife:

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think that major photo storage options (Zenfolio, Flickr and Smugmug) are all good but I would say that in all cases you're better off paying for their paid service. I have Zenfolio and I pay $50 annually for unlimited storage.

For me the deciding factor was which one looked best in presenting my photos. For instance I liked SmugMugs features but I IMHO their portfolios are kind of homely.

14. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    With a pro account, you can replace a photo without losing comments and view counts.

15. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    I still have a Flickr account, but did not continue after they made my account Moderate, so even my Safe pictures are Moderate too.

Anyway, I've moved on to DeviantArt, loving it so far.