1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

To FAUX IR or NOT FAUX!

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mark Hilliard, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Sometimes when using a IR filter 630nm to 720nm you will get an occasional image that is simply stunning right out of the camera with nice bronze tones! This is rare but worth the try! The 3 images below are standard processed B&W IR, Standard Faux Color IR Processing and the RAW file converted to PDF and sharpened only. All three images are from the original RAW image.

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I think I understand what you mean... the third image, straight from the camera does look very striking (especially the sky and soil), although the bronze colour in the trees of the second rendition is also very good.

Plenty of options!

Cheers

Brian

3. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I really like the last one.

Have you removed the filter in front of the sensor?

4. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Yes, it was removed with a clear glass to replace it. This conversion is called the full spectrum and will allow the camera to function both as a normal color and an IR system. You simply place the correct filter on the lens. You can read about it at the blog below!

5. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I like the Raw image. I tend to use Wratten filters to notch the spectrum to get colors, rather than Photoshop. I try to treat the VNIR camera like Infrared Ektachrome.

This is with a Magenta Wratten filter to block Green.

[​IMG]

on the modified Coolpix 950. The camera, clear replacement glass for the IR absorbing glass ran ~$100 total. 30 minutes to convert it.

6. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Very nice!

It is fun isn't it!

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    How much does it cost to have the camera serviced to allow IR light in?

8. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC