To Dream the Impossible Dream

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goldenlight, Oct 5, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    When I purchased my first DSLR, an Olympus E-500, five years ago any thoughts of getting low noise, low light images above ISO 800 on a Four Thirds camera were just an impossible dream. Today, with the E-M5, that dream is reality!

It's my cat, Thimble, taken hand-held at 1/30th of a second, f5.6, 150mm (300mm equivalent), ISO 12800 - with a Parkinson's tremor!

A triumph, I think, for technology, both in terms of sensor performance in low light and the new 5 axis IBIS!

Note: NO noise reduction or filtering applied, but + 0.7 exposure compensation set in camera.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Amazing. There's still a lot of detail in that shot. Technology really has come a long way. What's 5 more years going to bring, I wonder :)
  3. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I have quite a shaky right arm due to surgery and have found the IS on the EM5 invaluable. Despite the high iso available on my Fuji Pro X1 I find I get far more keepers from the EM5 :)
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK

What a lovely shot and a clear demonstartion of the capability of the OMD when used with thought.
    I am happy to stick with my GX1 as it is my small carry always in lieue of my DSLR kit or X100.
    I have to agree that the OMD is truning out some great high iso results and is a great advocate for Mu43.