To Dream the Impossible Dream

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goldenlight, Oct 5, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    When I purchased my first DSLR, an Olympus E-500, five years ago any thoughts of getting low noise, low light images above ISO 800 on a Four Thirds camera were just an impossible dream. Today, with the E-M5, that dream is reality!

CATS_018_e_r_s.

It's my cat, Thimble, taken hand-held at 1/30th of a second, f5.6, 150mm (300mm equivalent), ISO 12800 - with a Parkinson's tremor!

A triumph, I think, for technology, both in terms of sensor performance in low light and the new 5 axis IBIS!

Note: NO noise reduction or filtering applied, but + 0.7 exposure compensation set in camera.

• Like Like x 4
  2. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Amazing. There's still a lot of detail in that shot. Technology really has come a long way. What's 5 more years going to bring, I wonder :) 

3. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I have quite a shaky right arm due to surgery and have found the IS on the EM5 invaluable. Despite the high iso available on my Fuji Pro X1 I find I get far more keepers from the EM5 :) 

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Puuuuuurfect

What a lovely shot and a clear demonstartion of the capability of the OMD when used with thought.
    I am happy to stick with my GX1 as it is my small carry always in lieue of my DSLR kit or X100.
    I have to agree that the OMD is truning out some great high iso results and is a great advocate for Mu43.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.