1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

To Dine or not to Dine

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Speedliner, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    a few months ago I bought a pristine Lester Dine Macro lens and Lester Dine ring flash. Both are in like new condition. I love the lens. It's like fine machinery. So precise, very fine focus mechanism.

But I also have the Oly 60mm and Sigma 150mm macros. The Oly is the simplest to put into service, the Sigma has the longest working distance and AF is useful sometimes, like when that spider is faster than my ability to focus.

So should I keep the Dine? I hardly use it any longer, but it's such a nice lens...

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    If I was you, I would keep the Lester Dine and mail the Sigma to me :daz:

I have actually been going thru the same dilemma. I keep thinking about putting my Lester Dine up for sale as I have not really used it since getting my Oly 60mm. Then I look at some of the images I have taken with that lens and I think......damn I really need to use it more.

One of the first images I took when I got my EM-5......was waiting for my FD adaptor to arrive and only had the Nikon one for my Lester Dine (only nikon mount lens I have). Had to crawl and hide to get close enough to get this photo, super happy with how it came out.

This image has won me several awards and contest (taken with my old Fuji XE-1)

Then a couple of my favorite macro shots

• Like Like x 4
  3. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Needless to say, the image quality from that lens is just amazing............

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    It really is. I'm not shooting often enough with any lens lately, so part of me says sell it to someone who will give it the use it deserves, and part of me says keep it. Like a fine watch, so what if you only wear it once in a while. It does have one issue in that it focus breathes making a focus stack impossible.

I'd loan you the 150 macro to try. How about a 150 macro for 150 f2 loaner exchange

5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    If I knew I could go week not shooting the 150/2 I would. But, it's become my main lens and I'm finding the challenge of getting closer to wildlife to use it without a TC to be a lot of fun. Huge change going from my 50-200 + EC-14 (almost 600mm of reach) to the 150's 300mm of reach. Puts an interesting perspective on gator photography.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Sooooo... what's next? The 75? :D

Seriously, I'd be doing a lot of extra cropping...

7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Lol maybe. I'm finding the 150 not that bad for gators, actually is a perfect focal length. Also a decent length for frogs and snakes, the fast aperture actually makes shooting in the dark swamps a lot easier. Now for birds it really is to short, that's where the EC-14/20 come into play and it makes a decent handhold able 300/4.

8. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Well, I don't have any gators in Maryland, but I've found much the same with regards to the 40-150 Pro and small critters. For flying insects in particular its gold, so I can see how the 150 f/2 would as well.