1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

**TO CARRY OR NOT TO CARRY**

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by uscrx, Aug 28, 2016.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Everyone evolves and grows as a photographer. And everyone goes through different phases.

In my film days, I had one camera body and 1 lens; Canon FTb with FD 50mm f1.4. Always longed for 85-300mm F4, but as a middle schooler, I couldn't afford it.

Then came the DSLR days...where I carried 3 bodies, about 7 lenses, just in case.

Fell in love with u43 and now I have 4 bodies, and multiple lenses yet did not abandon DSLR.

Also picked up a Sony A7r.

And I always carried a bag full of photo gear whenever the family went anywhere... but I have noticed that during the past 3 years, my photo bag got smaller...and smaller as we traveled.

Today, I do not carry any photo equipment with me other than the cellphone. But I have also noticed that I enjoy the trips more as I look at things and places...instead of obsessing over what to photograph and what equipment to use. If there's something neat, then I'll use the cellphone to photograph.

I do pull out my photo equipment but for specific needs... special occasion, family portrait session, I feel the urge to photograph very specific topic.. And now I no longer feel the need to photograph everything and anything just because I have equipment. I no longer have a massive GAS to keep buying gear.

.... but I need an EOS 300mm f2.8 IS for the upcoming football season for my kid.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Get a 40-150 Pro instead! :daz:

3. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I have it. But that's used to video record on my GH2.

I also like to use DSLR to photograph.

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    While I have a selection of lenses to choose from, when we actually go on family vacations, I travel rather light. One of the reasons is specifically for what you talk about. Too many choices and you spend way too much time fussing over which camera, which lens, etc. etc. etc. That said I would never leave me E-M1 at home and only use my phone, but over the years I tend to take 80% of my vacation shots with whatever wide angle zoom I use (for many years it was the ZD 12-60mm and last year it was the Panny 12-35mm).

So my advice is go ahead and bring that nice camera with you, but then limit yourself to two basic lenses that could apply to most of your situations (one general purpose zoom and then one longer reach if you will be places were longer focal lengths would be helpful; for me the last couple of trips that were on Ferrys) and switch lenses rarely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I settled on the 3 Olympus PRO F2.8 zooms as a carry kit with the occasional 60mm Macro. If I have a planned photo excursion I will sometimes cull my carry bag to 2 lenses depending on my subjects. It's a lot easier on this old shoulder! Thank goodness we have such fantastic lenses to choose from. :cloud-9-039:
    PS, the Think Tank Retrospective 5 can carry all my PRO zooms and I keep the E-M1 or E-P5 on the Peak Design Slide Lite over the other shoulder and it doesn't seem too much of a burden (ask me again in 5 years).

6. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    I sometimes regret it but mostly i dont,i go out with one lens on the camera and thats it,if its the 100-400 and i want a landscape i do a pano,if its the 12-35 and i want a tele shot i can crop but mostly ime stuck,the one that works best for me as a one lens only is the 45-175 with extension tubes in my pocket.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I went on local hike yesterday and left my camera at home - GM5+12-32+45-175 for occasional use.
    Guess what? Met the black bear foraging on wide apples from like 50 yards and fox who stayed around 6-7 yards.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    We gain enjoyment from our activities in different ways. Without a camera I don't enjoy the trip as much. I do however, know the fine line of concentrating too much on getting images versus having fun with the family. The wife and i have discussed it at length and we have come to a compromise. So long as we have equilibrium, we are good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    That reminds me of a very old photography joke : "I realised I had forgotten my camera as Sasquatch stepped out of the tree line holding a nude Bridget Bardots' hand!"
    PS, you kids will need to Google Bridget Bardot.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 4
  10. grog

grog Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 30, 2015
    This reminds me quite a bit of a friend of mine (one of the people who directed me towards getting a m43 camera) and how he mainly used dSLR's back in the day, then moved on to m43 and then eventually got tired of all that and now sticks with his phone, and Olympus Stylus 1 most of the time.

He too says how he feels more at peace on trips now because he's not fussing over what gear to take, carrying it around, keeping it safe etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Gosh, what a hard life it is for those people in the first world economies, what with all this angst about whether to carry a camera. Perhaps it would be better to consider how lucky you are to be able to make the choice? :hiding:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  12. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    A big part of why I shoot m43 is that I wanted access to high quality equipment that was minimally burdensome. And I've become more and more of a minimalist in social situations. If we just go out and about I generally just take my E-M10 and one lens. Often the Panasonic 12-32 if light is bright. Otherwise it's likely the Olympus 17 or 45. If I'm going to specific kinds of events, I might take a lens that I think will work well in that context. I almost always have a camera with me, but I almost rarely carry a bag unless I'm specifically going out to do photography. I'm not a pro on assignment who has to get "the shot." Friends and family your out and about with probably don't want to deal with someone who is obsessing about photography and fumbling around choosing the right lens and then changing lenses.

13. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Well Gosh..

How dare we talk about camera equipment on a photography forum.

Certainly there's a component of luck that I live in the US where we can enjoy affluent life style.

But there's no luck in our ability to enjoy the camera choices we have. It's not like I luckily happened to all the equipment. I'm not going to turn this into a political argument.. but we work longer hours and take less vacations than the most.. especially in healthcare in the US. I'm a first generation immigrant to the US where my parents brought us here without knowing a word of English. With hard work while facing racism in the 70's and 80's.. my family and I are where we are today.

Do not tell me how I should feel for what I have and what choices I have.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm in agreement here. I grew up in a family that thought self-sufficiency on the farm was important, but were always scraping for pennies whenever something needed fixed, replaced or a real issue came up like a visit to the doctor, etc. Now, I work all the time, so does my wife, and while I appreciate being able to pay for those necessities, as well as some discretionary purchases, I pay for it by many long hours of work...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    What I carry has evolved over the years as well.
    • If I am going somewhere and the primary purpose is taking pictures I will take my FF gear
    • If I am on vacation or traveling someplace scenic with the family I take my m43 gear
    • If I am going somewhere where I either don't want to look like a tourist or don't think I will be taking many photos, I put my RX100 III in my pocket.
    I only use my cell when I don't have anything else with me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's a very sensible strategy.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would bet you are tons of fun at parties.

"What would you like to drink, Sejanus?"

"How dare you! Don't you know that half the world struggles to find clean drinking water?! Don't you care about the children?"

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Agreed. I do something like that myself.

19. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    The nice thing about m43 is you can carry a bunch of stuff and it's not too heavy, or you can carry one camera, one or two lenses and they're really small.
    I like to go out all kinds of places with my E-M5 on a wrist strap and a 17 or 20 and that's all.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have a similar approach but with only mu43 stuff and an Rx100 iii. Pocketable becomes very desirable for me at the "low" end.