To buy or not to buy?

Googyflip

New to Mu-43
Hi All

I've been wanting to upgrade from a compact camera (Canon IXUS 700) to a DSLR for a while now and was just about to make the jump for an entry level DLSR. Have been considering a Nikon D3000, Canon 1000D and came across the Panasonic Lumix G1 which is around my budget. After doing a bit of research on it and reading reviews it seems pretty much ideal for me (smaller size, more automatic options for the wife! :))

Main features of a DSLR which attract me are the rapid shooting, DOF images with the soft backgrounds and the image quality of the larger sensor.

Seems quite a good deal on Amazon.co.uk at the moment with a £50 rebate (which is unusual for the UK!).

I'm no means an expert in the area, so would appreciate some real usage feedback on the G1.

Thanks

Justin

Carlarm

Mu-43 Regular
First of all, the G1 is being replaced by the G2. But the G2 is not quite available yet. This is probably why a rebate is available for the G1. There aren't a lot of differences between G1 and G2. G2 does video but G1 doesn't. G2 has a touch screen. I suggest you see the review of the G2 at Panasonic DMC-G2 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review to see if you want to wait for (and possibly pay more for) the G2. Also check out the Samsung NX10 Samsung NX10 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review.

I also made the jump from a compact camera (Olympus SP-350) to the G1. I looked at the Nikon DSLR cameras because I have a lot of legacy Nikon lenses I'd like to be able to use again. But I also have memories of lugging around a big, heavy camera case and wanted to keep the the weight and size down. I was originally going to get the Olympus EP-1 but dropped that idea because it doesn't have a built-in flash and the LCD washes out in bright sun.

When I was shown the camera in the camera store I didn't see the value of the fully articulating LCD. Now after using the camera for several months I would not buy another camera without this feature. This lets me hold the camera in odd positions (such as high above my head) and still frame the picture properly.

oldnikkor

Mu-43 Regular
I have a rather large collection of old lenses, and I love the fact that I can use them ALL on the G1 with its wonderful electronic viewfinder. I suggest you get a G1 while they are still available. I'm not so wild about touch screens and I don't need video, so the G1 does just what I need it to. The only time I use the kit lens is when I need a wide angle shot. When I want to be creative with my old lenses, I love that I can do that with the G1.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
You might consider one thing coming from a P&S and your wife being a likely user. Notwithstanding it's relatively small size, the G1 and it's kin might still be a big leap in camera style; so have you thought of a GF1 or E-PL1? Both of these offer the familiarity of a P&S, but with all/most of the benefits of a DSLR style camera. They are also much more discrete in many ways and you get the benefit of video, which you never know if it's something that you want. Both are available with an external viewfinder to give you that extra ability when required.

Cheers

Ray

Googyflip

New to Mu-43
Thanks for the replies on this, they have all helped. I've plumped for the G1 in the end, the G2 at twice the price of a G1 and not release til June was a no go.

Received the other day and I must say the bit of playing around so far has reassured me this was the right purchase.

Absolutely amazed at the difference in picture quality from my P&S, many many hours of mucking around with it are now due!

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Congratulations Googyflip - so glad to hear you're happy about your purchase of the G1!:2thumbs:

Now, when you've had a chance to read about how the gallery system works and how to embed photos in threads, you really must post a few of your first photographs. You'll see that you can create a personal album in the gallery and/or upload to a genre specific one. And if you have the time, please stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum, too. :biggrin:About mu-43 - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

Latest threads

Top Bottom