1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

To borrow or not to borrow...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jcm5, Mar 6, 2015.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I'll be taking a family trip out to Cancun in the near future and I've considered renting a 7-14mm for my EM10 for shots of the coast and the hotel property. However, I do own the 9mm BCL and 12mm 2.0, do you all think the 7-14 would be redundant? I've never shot with the 7-14 so I'm not really sure what kind of differences I would notice both in terms of angle and overall picture quality, but from what I've seen on the images thread, it looks like a fantastic lens.

I considered just purchasing the lens outright since renting it for the time period I need will probably set me back about $100-$110 while I'm seeing posts here for a used copy for $500-600. However, since I've never seen it in person much less used one to shoot with, I thought renting might be a good first experience option.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Personally, If you really think you'll need it, I'd say rent it then buy the new 7-14 2.8 pro version when it comes out. I used to own the 4/3 O7-14 but sold it the minute they announce the m4/3 version. As an alternate, buy the RokFish 7.5 FE for $200. That's what I've done to satisfy my wide angle need...it's super tiny, lightweight, razor sharp, and if you hold it dead level you can get shots like:

EM196321-20140809-XL.

EM196338-20140809-2-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My general advice is that you'll almost always come out ahead monetarily by buying used and reselling as opposed to renting, particularly for a rental period longer than a few days. Of course, that equation doesn't take into account the non-monetary costs of buying and selling (i.e. the hassle).

I noticed that LensRentals has come out with a sort of try-before-you-buy or rent-to-own program they call Keeper. How is works is that they will quote you a price on a lens you rent from them (with the price based on the age/condition of the lens) and if you want to keep the lens at the end of the rental, your rental fee would be applied to the price. While that sounds like a great program, I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. For example, the price range they are quoting for the P7-14 is currently $784-970 which is considerably higher than the best used prices I have seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've always gone the "buy for vacation" route. When I use to take my Nikons on vacation I would often pick up one of the 80-400 zooms. I'd end up having it for about a month and the final cost would be about $100-$200 at most. The 7-14 seems rare enough (only 22 on ebay located in the US as I type this) so you shouldn't have that much trouble selling it.

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    There is 7-14mm for $500 posted for sale on this forum yesterday.

As for original question - I don't think you need it in Cancun. I went to Cozumel with 9-18mm and used for just one occasion on the beach which your 9mm BCL can do too. Your 12mm is wide and fast enough. Get some 40-200 zoom - you will get more use from it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  6. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    The 7-14 is fairly large, especially for an EM10. The Oly 9-18 is quite a bit smaller and will still give you a very wide FOV. It's also less expensive and you can use filters with it.

7. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Yeah I considered the 9-18, though given that I own the 9mm BCL and the 12mm 2.0, I was wondering whether I should get the wider 7-14. I'm still open to either options but haven't decided. the 7.5mm FE might work but I wanted a rectilinear wide-angle at some point... still debating!