To an E-M5 iii from a g85??

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
anyone here move from a g85 to an em5iii?

or test a g95 to an em5iii?

would love any real world feedback/thoughts

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I have an E-M5.3. I can tell you why I didn't even consider the G95 when I was thinking about upgrading from my E-M10.2 - the G95 is considerably heavier and larger than the E-M5.3, and the G95 does not have hi-res mode. Both of those things would exclude the G95 from my consideration, although it is a very nice camera, for sure.

I have since then also bought an E-M1.3. Considering it vs the G95, they are about the same weight and size, but again, no hi-res on the G95. The G9? Yup, has hi-res, but then it's considerably heavier. And no HHHR. So for me, neither camera matches its matching Olympus model. Different strokes...

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
I have an E-M5.3. I can tell you why I didn't even consider the G95 when I was thinking about upgrading from my E-M10.2 - the G95 is considerably heavier and larger than the E-M5.3, and the G95 does not have hi-res mode. Both of those things would exclude the G95 from my consideration, although it is a very nice camera, for sure.

I have since then also bought an E-M1.3. Considering it vs the G95, they are about the same weight and size, but again, no hi-res on the G95. The G9? Yup, has hi-res, but then it's considerably heavier. And no HHHR. So for me, neither camera matches its matching Olympus model. Different strokes...
I'm not so much into the high-res mode, but I'm not looking to bulk up. The G95 is a still a bite larger than the G85, so I am thinking about what it would be like to step down (in size) to the EM5iii.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Well, the E-M5.3 is slightly larger than an E-M10.2, with a better grip on the E-M5.3 (so the grip is pretty similar to that on the E-M10.4, I guess). What this means is that it is a pretty smallish camera and great for travel. That's why I got it.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
anyone here move from a g85 to an em5iii?

or test a g95 to an em5iii?

would love any real world feedback/thoughts
Well sort of. I have a G85, but my main camera was the E-m1 mark I (splash proof with TFT LCD viewfinder) and E-m10 mark II (non-splash proof with OLED viewfinder) until I got the E-m5 mark III (splash proof + OLED viewfinder). I bought the G85 because it had an OLED viewfinder, was splash proof, and it had sensor-shift stabilization.

I tend to hate the Panasonic method of doing things, so I rarely use it for stills photography. Now, I use it only for recording video, because it does not limit videos to 30 minutes like the E-m5 mark III does (unless you use an external video recorder).

I find the G85 to be prone to burning out the highlights of white areas in a shot unless you dial in exposure compensation. The E-m1 mark I and E-m10 mark II tended to go up to the limit, but burn out very little of the highlights. I think the E-m5 mark III is perhaps more apt to burn out the highlights, but probably not to the extent of the G85.

The other thing I really hated of the G85 was its RAW -> JPG conversion tended to to produce water colored mush a lot sooner than an equivalent Olympus camera (even with setting some of the dials). So on the G85 I tended to limit its high ISO to a stop under what I limited the E-m1 mark I. The 20MP sensor of the E-m5 mark III is supposed be somewhat better than the old 16MP sensor.

One thing that some people complain about is the menu system on the Olympus being long and hard to grok. I don't find it that hard. Once you realize what basic setting something is in on the majority of Olympus cameras, it is easier to go to the top level, select the first level category, and then select the menus in that category. While the G85 forces you to go through the entire menu to find what you want to change. On the other hand, if there are things you change all of the time, the G85 has the notion of a user defined quick menu that you can put up to 8 things in it. But given the user menu has to scroll, I don't find as useful as say the super control panel.

On the Olympus, there is the super control panel (SCP). You hit OK, and then instantly you have a graphic menu of the most common things to set. Olympus also has something called Live Control, but I turn this off in favor of the SCP.

In terms of menus, one minor thing I like about Panasonic is they intregrated the touchscreen into the menu better than Olympus.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have went from E-M5.1 to G80 and then bought a E-M5.3 also :) I like them all. As Rah says they are a little different.

But I think weight is not a big deal. The E-M5 is 84g lighter but feels heavier due to the compact size :) the G80 feels great in hand, handles very well (I personally love the size). But it feels lighter due to the size :) 423g vs 507g (body w battery). The E-M5.3 handles quite good though, much better than E-M5.1 due to the improved grip.

If size matters there is a big difference, the E-M5 can fit in a big pocket.

Menus and such are much different also. If you are used to Panasonics menus and handling there is a risk you will frustrated when coming to Olympus. Where Panny handles intuitive mostly and with touch interface works as you think it should. Coming to Olympus can make you curse some before you have figured out how to tackle it. A more classic approach in Oly UI. (such things as focus peaking automatically when MF'ing and other things are not as good). And, one thing I personally miss very much from Panasonic. The "Intelligent Auto ISO".

But I think the Oly sensor is a noticable step up (PDAF aside), slightly better DR I think.

Conclusion: Both are great! :)

IMG_20210622_203944.jpg

Last edited:

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks. Comments especially on AF, AF-C and DR are especially appreciated! I've had the G85 now for a number of years, and I'm thinking of just trying something new perhaps.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks. Comments especially on AF, AF-C and DR are especially appreciated! I've had the G85 now for a number of years, and I'm thinking of just trying something new perhaps.
I added two things to my post. First the improved grip of the E-M5.3, and then I think the DR is sligthly better than G80. It feels like there is a little more to get from RAW in post-processing.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I’ve used the Em5iii and it’s a nice little camera. Handling is going to be a significant difference, especially depending on the lenses you use. You can shoot bigger glass on the Em5iii (I’ve gone all the way to the PL100-400 on one), but it really lends itself better to the primes. Adding a grip helps, or so I’ve heard, but there aren’t a lot of grips for the Em5iii, and the Olympus model is highway robbery priced.

I was happiest with the Em5iii when I had these lenses: 9mm BCL, 14mm 2.5, 25mm 1.8, 45mm 2.8, and the 75-300ii. You need a super steady hand with the 75-300, but you could carry that combo all day and forget you brought a camera.

In terms of handling, I found myself fumbling the Em5iii in quick settings changes. It’s mostly my love of 3 exposure dials and the quick SAF/CAF/M switch found on Panasonic bodies. Flipping that switch while not taking your eye from the EVF is faster and easier than anything I could configure on the Olympus. That doesn’t make it a bad camera, just my own take. I liked a lot about it.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’m curious, why EM5.3 over EM1.2? I can understand if size is a priority, but the G95 suggests that it isn’t. There have been some great EM1.2 deals lately, you could possibly find one cheaper than a 5.3.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’m curious, why EM5.3 over EM1.2? I can understand if size is a priority, but the G95 suggests that it isn’t. There have been some great EM1.2 deals lately, you could possibly find one cheaper than a 5.3.
For me the main concern is the viewfinder. The E-m1 mark I/II/III, E-m1x, E-m5 mark I/II, and E-m10 mark I all have a TFT LCD viewfinder. The E-m5 mark III, E-m10 mark II/III/IV, and Pen-F all have an OLED viewfinder.

The TFT LCD has distortions or is completely opaque when you are shooting in landscape (horizontal) orientation and view it with polarized sunglasses. If you shoot in portrait (vertical) orientation there is no distortion. While I can generally frame a shot with the distortion, it is rather annoying. I would not be able to manually focus with the distortion. I need to wear polarized sunglasses all of the time in daylight due to migraines.

The OLED viewfinders have no distortion when viewed in either orientation. One orientation is darker than the other, but you can see the whole viewfinder.

In terms of form factor, I do prefer the smaller grip of the E-m5's when I'm using smaller lenses, but I prefer the bigger grip of the E-m1's when using larger lenses.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
For me the main concern is the viewfinder. The E-m1 mark I/II/III, E-m1x, E-m5 mark I/II, and E-m10 mark I all have a TFT LCD viewfinder. The E-m5 mark III, E-m10 mark II/III/IV, and Pen-F all have an OLED viewfinder.

The TFT LCD has distortions or is completely opaque when you are shooting in landscape (horizontal) orientation and view it with polarized sunglasses. If you shoot in portrait (vertical) orientation there is no distortion. While I can generally frame a shot with the distortion, it is rather annoying. I would not be able to manually focus with the distortion. I need to wear polarized sunglasses all of the time in daylight due to migraines.

The OLED viewfinders have no distortion when viewed in either orientation. One orientation is darker than the other, but you can see the whole viewfinder.

In terms of form factor, I do prefer the smaller grip of the E-m5's when I'm using smaller lenses, but I prefer the bigger grip of the E-m1's when using larger lenses.

With your specific requirements, the EM5.3 makes perfect sense. I wear glasses full time, and I also have prescription polarised sunglasses, but luckily I'm still at a stage where I can flip them up on my head and look through the EVF if needed. I also suffer migraines, the severe ones are infrequent, but I appreciate how debilitating they can be.

Personally, I find the G80 and EM1.2 to be the optimal size for handling. My EM10 was and GX80 is a little awkward for my liking. When I went from G80 to EM1.2, I was surprised by how similar they were ergonomically, even down to button and dial positions, not identical, but close. The EM1.2 is a little heavier, but that adds to the stability when using bigger lenses. I preferred the G80's OLED evf in good light, but the Oly's TFT performs better in lower light, that might be down to faster processing.

I've faced the EM1.2 vs EM5.3 dilemma, but for me, the robust build quality, 2 card slots, bigger battery and extra function button of the 1.2 have sealed the deal. That's when they were equally priced. Lately, at least in the UK / EU there have been some really good lens bundle offers on the 1.2. I'm not sure if they've been available in the US? Even if those lenses aren't required, they could be sold, seriously subsidising the cost of the camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom