To all you in-camera filter haters!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by franklyspeaking, May 21, 2011.

1. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

The other day at work I had a conversation with a guy who is into photography as well. He walked into my office where I had my desktop wallpaper set to a photo I took at the state capitol awhile back. He complimented me on it and then asked how I went about achieving the photograph in post. I told him I shot the whole thing in camera using one of the 'art' filters in the camera.

He then went on a rant about how that was cheating and very 'amateur'. He continued to say that the hours he spent in photoshop was what turned his photos into 'art' and that by way of the camera processing the filter it removed him from the equation and made the camera the artist and him just the flesh-bag holding the camera.

I thought about this for a while and I can't really see his point. When I was back in collage and shooting film, I made conscious decisions about what film to load because one film gave me the look I wanted over another and many times carried multiple cameras loaded with different film so I could choose which film to use that would best serve the scene I already had in my head.

I tend to think of the filters as I thought of film choices back then. They are as film was, just a another tool to more closely arrive at my intended image. If I use a filter and capture the image I want instantly then I saved time, not compromised the image...

Does anyone els feel the same way as my co-worker?

What are your thoughts on the filters? I find some of them to be not useful but there are some that I go to quite often...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    I tend to think your co-worker has a serious problem. Whatever you like, as an end results, is fine. Personally, I don't like these kinds of pedantic perfectionists who tell everyone what they think is right or wrong. IMO takes pictures in whatever way that pleases you. Over my life, I have seen these rigid "critics" with fine art and wine.

They turn me off. Good luck and have fun.
  3. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Unless this fellow is your boss tell him to p!ss-off. If he is your boss tell him to p!ss-off with a smile. Ok enough with the jokes! So he liked your picture but not your process, take both with a grain of salt.

My granddad use to say if everyone would like the same thing they would all want to marry your grandmother.

For me photography is about the end result and doesn't matter a bit how you get the. On the other hand everyone has a different approach and this is all good. What works for him, you and me are probably all different. Just treat it as water off the back of the duck and keep on doing way you like and what works for you.

All that being said you still do't know my feelings about in camera filters :smile:
    • Like Like x 3
  4. franklyspeaking

Thanks fastcar....

@Johbridgh huh???
  5. franklyspeaking

Well played...
  6. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Tell him the art filter was appropriate because it turns an effect all the way to eleven.
  7. franklyspeaking

I always love a good spinal tap reference!
  8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Some people are simply more interested in other things than the end result. Which is strange as in photography seeing is believing.
  9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    I remember the same argument(s) when Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority (Time Value),and, OMG... Program Mode were added. And you were a hack if you relied on AF.
    Whatever it takes to get the image you "see" with your photog's eye is fair game.

We once used black hosiery and vaseline on filters... THAT'S an Art Filter!
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Awesome Spinal Tap reference ....:thumbup:
  11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Excellent point. We used vaseline, we cut a very thin strip of tape and put it on the filter like a "no smoking sign" to "busy out the background" using between the lens shutter cameras..

I always thought of those things as tricks or the trade..

That said, I agree with Grant. Tell him to .... off.
  12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    You decide to use filter so you're at least a fleshbag making a decision ;)
    Or you could do exactly the same thing in Photoshop which is legitimate in your co-workers' eyes. Of course a lot of people think Photoshop is cheating and you must get it right in the camera (without using the in-camera filters of course)

People use a Holga or a Lensbaby or a Thambar or some favorite piece of glass to get the look they want. Whatever works to get the result you want is legitimate. Whether or not it's ART is a completely different discussion and has nothing to do with how you got there.
  13. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Don't ask, don't tell!

Or is it "what happens in Vegas..."

14. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    • Like Like x 1
  15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Haters are gonna hate. To me photography is art and every one has different taste. A lot of people say photo shop, and digital cameras are cheating as well. So next time tell him its straight out of the camera and leave it at that.
  16. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
  17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This thread is worthless without pix

(we really need to get that smiley added)
  18. franklyspeaking

since you asked...

@sphexx Thanks for the link!
    • Like Like x 2
  19. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011

I use PS and the in camera filters. So I am in both camps. I find I'm using the pinhole more and more, and frequently use low key and macro. My guess is that your pics are better than his and that this is all there is to it.
  20. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    He's just pissed because he didnt think of it. Ten bucks he raced home to see if his camera has art filters.

Great shot by the way. With or without those tacky filters:rofl: