To All The NAY-SAYERS: Here You Go!!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Aug 25, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You know who you are.....:smile:
    Anyways, here's a video interview with that 14yr old amazing photographer.

If this doesn't convince you, well,..."sour grapes" is all I'll say...

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEAPzmeFHQU]14 year old Photographer Zev Hoover's Surreal Miniature Worlds wedding photography - YouTube[/ame]

And his blog & Flickr page is below
    -> fiddleoak
    -> 500px / zev hoover / Photos

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I got a feeling this kid or his style is gonna be pretty big really soon :D

Love it!!

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Now I believe.... clever lad

K

4. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    There are creative artists and then there are people who take pictures. I take pictures. The kid is an artist. And photography is his medium.

Me no artist.:2thumbs:

5. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    <sigh>
    I wish I had as much time as that kid for my hobbies. Great work, and I'd love to spend time playing and mastering photoshop. Of course, I'd surely not be doing work that great. Wow!

sent from Mu 4/3 mobile app

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Considering how staunch you were in your belief that it was absolutely impossible that a 14yr old could be able to do this...."clever lad" is all you can say?

Thank goodness other adults believe in him & encourage his talent rather than just express doubt & disbelief....

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    He did say that everyone in his family is some type of artist - I think you've hit the nail on the head here! :smile:

I would imagine that his entire family are fine examples of gifts allowed to flourish without any constrictions and given 100% support! :smile:

If my memory & history is correct, Mozart's family was also high talented too...

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It **appears** to me that from his mini-interview, he has a very supportive family. :smile:

9. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    God given talent vs. Leaned talent can be argued. In the book "Outliers" author describes world class talent has one thing in common be it sports or art, they start early and spend approximately 10,000 hours of practice dedicated to their trade. Do the math and see how long you have to practice daily...for how many years.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    In his blog, the kid did say that it took many hours to create one image...and that's with him knowing & understanding what he's doing...:biggrin:

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK so you couldn't leave it with you were right!!

don't think I ever said it was "absolutely impossible", just expressed an degree of scepticism on the given evidence at the time.

I am very happy to eat humble pie and recognise I was wrong in this case... but please don't paint me as some narrow minded curmudgeon... You don't know me beyond this forum.

I stand by my original scepticism... because it obviously made you seek out the deeper truth... I did try but didn't find that video... kudos to you.

The internet is a strange place, truth, fiction, spoof, satire, friend, compatriot, troll and spammer all get mixed up in a odd cloud thats often hard to see through.

questioning information presented should always be the default

peace

K

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And while I whole heartedly agree with you about questioning information, however, your posts to me read like "not true until proven otherwise" rather than "are you sure this is the case?". That being said, I did learn something & that's that only video interviews serve as validation with you since his own blog wasn't enough. :smile:

13. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I think 'not true' until verifiable is a pretty good code to live by. Some 24 hour news stations should take that aboard :)

The video swayed me... a bit.. having a flickr page and a blog proved nothing.. the flickr page is just the photos.. and nobody is denying they are great images.and from the same creator. but doesn't offer any proof to support the supposition that they are the work of a 12/14 year old.... they are just great images

The blog is equally as anonymous and ambiguous

Do you really know I went to Tokyo in March?

wandering thoughts

truth is only KLM, my passport, Dutch/Japanese immigration and my credit card/bank 'knows' for certain I was in Japan when I said I was.

My point in pursuing all this is not to demean the photographer who I now sort of accept actually is a 14 year old with talent, but to encourage the idea that you should question what is presented to you and to offer alternative interpretations... even if they turn out wrong

peace

K

14. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Yes, but what kinda set up did he uses--has to be at least an OMD, maybe a Fuji?!?!. I need to know. :p Nice stuff and thanks for putting it out there RT.

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No argument from me about "some" new stations & congratulations on your Tokyo trip! :smile: Japan is one of the places that I didn't make to in my military career that I would've liked to visit...

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    RT, thanks for sharing this video as well. For me, I didn't question nor focus on who created the work or what the his age is, but rather what the person envisioned and how he went about it.

I never doubted for a moment that a 14 year old could have done this, as it is quite common for there to be very accomplished people in their early teens. No big deal.

Simply because most early teens are relatively quite INcapable is no reason to assume that many early teens could not be highly capable in many ways. I started messing around with a Rolleiflex TLR that was my Dad's when I was 7. I had a darkroom shorty thereafter and was doing all kinds of cool image manipulations at the time. And by 10 or so, I was dissecting frogs and studying anatomy. Not a big deal really. Most kids given the right parenting and resources can excel.

Kids who are encouraged, supported, inspired, and allowed to explore deeply into technical and creative endeavors and are deeply interested in it can soar. And if they have tools to support it, can become remarkably accomplished.

I think the majority of kids, though, either don't have the support, encouragement, or resources to more fully develop in technical and creative areas. And most don't have the kind of parenting which fosters such development. Most kids these days seem content to consume, rather than to create. They play video games, hang out at the mall, and call life fulfilling. It usually takes a great set of parents for a child to truly excel as a human being and so few kids today seem to be blessed by such good parenting.

Today's societal problems stem mostly from poor parenting and I would bet that this kid's parents did a superb job raising and nurturing this precocious young man's development. Kudos as much to his parents as to him.