Titanium step-up rings?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Was looking to buy some step-up rings to adapt filters to some of my lenses. It seems these have traditionally been available in a choice of three materials: aluminum, anodized aluminum and brass. The basic aluminum rings tend to sell in the US$6–7 range, with the anodized aluminum rings a bit higher at around $10 and brass rings coming in in the $20–40 range.

It seems that the big advantage of brass is that it's less likelythan aluminum to bind or bend, at the cost of a bit of weight (and a few more dollars). Through my research I was dissuaded from buying the cheapest rings I could find and was all but convinced that brass was worth the extra cash.

But then I found these titanium step-up rings offered by NiSi. They're priced pretty competitively with the better reviewed brass rings (PolarPro, Breakthrough, etc.) and in fact are cheaper than some of these brand's brass rings. I'm no metallurgist, but it seems that weight-wise titanium should fall between brass and aluminum in terms of weight, but should best both in terms of strength.

Has anyone tried these NiSi rings? They seem to be well designed with nice knurling. What about binding, would that be an issue with titanium?

- K

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Interesting.
However, as a filter ring, I would not be concerned about weight or strength.

The filter threads on some lenses has changed. Some are now made of plastic (or seem to be). In those cases, the metal binding problem has gone away, and been replaced by cross-threading and damaging the plastic threads.

As for binding. It has been a LONG time, but I seem to remember using parafin or candle wax on the filter threads, so that the filters would screw on smoother. In the temperate climate that I grew up in, parafin was a solid, and would not migrate like grease or oil. And because it was a solid, it did not attract and hold on to dust/dirt.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'd be pretty wary of Ti threads. Titanium is renowned for thread galling in nuts & bolts.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I'd be pretty wary of Ti threads. Titanium is renowned for thread galling in nuts & bolts.
This is the information I was looking for. Thanks, Speedy!:drinks:

A bit more searching with the right terminology does seem to turn up that Ti can exhibit similar binding (galling) properties as Al does.

From Wikipedia:
A material with high stacking-fault energy, such as aluminium or titanium, will be far more susceptible to galling than materials with low stacking-fault energy, like copper, bronze, or gold.

So it does appear that brass rings retain some benefits over titanium.

Now, to minimize the risk of galling, does anyone know where I can get some solid gold step-up rings? :thumbsup:

- K

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Now, to minimize the risk of galling, does anyone know where I can get some solid gold step-up rings? :thumbsup:
I will start up a new company to do it. It will be called Ay You Rings. I can't wait to put a red dot on some so I can charge Palladium level price for the Leica crowd.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Suddenly I feel as though I've just given away the seed of a multi million dollar venture.
Unfortunately, I just checked my bank account and the start up funding in raw material alone puts this dream out of my range. Maybe I will start up Sin Rings instead; I think I can afford the raw material costs better.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Its also renowned as being difficult to manufacture. I know of a few applications where it has significant benefits all based around it's bio compatibility. In such applications fittings in titanium cost 2-3 times that of those made in stainless steel (the default metal option).

I can't see any benefit from titanium & suspect it's actually just a brand name rather than a material description, except that the prices are 10x that typical for aluminium stepping rings from China. (Yes I have brought them for under £2 each) :biggrin:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom