1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tips & Tricks For Cleaning Up Lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nTo, Feb 13, 2010.

1. nTo

nTo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2009
    Indonesia
    Dear M4/3 Comrades.... :)

I'm totally new to photography, so even for that fundamental thing i do need guidance from you guys....

Is it actually safe to splash & rub our m4/3 lenses with lens cleaner liquid and cloth?

Does the same cloth used for cleaning eye glasses can be used?

Kindly, it would be nice if you would share how you take care your lenses....

Thanx so much guys!

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i use microfiber , without liquid and it seems to work well

• Like Like x 2
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Microfibre cloth is the best for lens cleaning, often just a light breath and a light wipe is all that's necessary. Be mindfull though that the best way to use the cloth is to wipe radially, that is, wipe from the centre of the lens to the outside. The reason for this is that if you do manage to scratch the lens while cleaning, or wear the surface through time, radial marks are much less likely to imapct of the quality than are circumferential marks.

I never use cleaning fluids, as you really don't know what each one contains and some do nothing more than leave ugly films. Lens repairers often use a pure isopropyl alcohol compound, but this can be impossible to find for every day pundits. That's mainly why I use B&W MRC filters on all of my lenses, if things get dirty, they are easy to clean, and replace if necessary.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2