tips on auto focus omd em5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sailor15, May 28, 2013.

1. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    I used my nikon d90 over the weekend...when I half press the shutter I get small blocks of focus targets......I had forgotten how easy this is on his camera..every time.....it is just a no brainer .....

I am frustrated with the autofocus on Omd em5....

1. do you have to set the number of targets before each shot? I get one square which seems to randomly bounce around....I used to get a smaller block of 9 squares...I don't see that anymore....or the whole screen of squares....
    2. even when the screen is full of little green squares...I am not sure where the camera is focusing..
    3. I must be missing a step....and yes...I have read the manual...and the David Busch book...I really like the camera...but it can be complex...and not intuitive.......

2. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I autofocus on a single point, that is I set the little green square in the middle of the grid and don't worry about things.

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    This is how I set my E-M5 up.

Menu -> Custom Menu -> A -> [AF] Set Home -> Single Point Middle

This will choose the home position of the AF target area.

Menu -> Custom Menu -> B -> Button Function -> [Fn2] Function -> [AF] Home

I assign Fn2 to trigger the [AF] Home Point as I use the 3x3 grid as the default AF target. When the [AF] Home Point is set to single point in the middle it will allows me to toggle between single point autofocus and 3x3 grid easily.

To use the 3x3 or 9x9 grid autofocus mode instead of the default single point, it must be invoked first. Bring up the AF target grid by moving any arrow keys while shooting. Then press Info followed by up or down arrows to change the size of the autofocus grid. Once it is set, the camera remembers it. If the liveview is disabled, you can get to the autofocus grids by going through the SCP.

I have found that 3x3 works much like a cross-type DSLR autofocus box, albeit less accurate when a single point is desired.

Furthermore I have found the default behaviour of Fn2—a multi-function key that changes between highlight/shadow control, white balance, magnify and image aspect—is utterly useless. Highlight/shadow control only works for JPEGs. White balance and image aspect can be accessed easily via SCP. Magnify is only useful with manual focus lenses, which can be toggled together with manual focus as a setting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    Thanks....for telling me how to set up the focus....
    How do you make it stay on the one central focus point.....so you don't have to keep doing that?

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I just make sure I don't press the arrow keys accidentally.

6. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    "1. do you have to set the number of targets before each shot? I get one square which seems to randomly bounce around"

Sounds like you have Face Priority enabled, try deactivating it and see if that helps

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I turned off my arrow keys as they kept activating every time the camera bounced off my manly stomach.

8. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I do that too often :(

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I found them better programmed to function buttons instead as it is more useful having direct buttons for drive & ISO select (for me) & then the left arrow button is the focus position select with Info giving single, nine or all option.

10. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    progress with focus but need more help please

I did set up my camera as instructed/suggested, and it helps that the fn2 button is set for focusing....I think I see a faint one box now ...is this correct? but the green box hops around...

I cannot call up the box with 9 boxes....and I could a few days ago....I did turn off face priority.....

when do you use the 9 boxes? or "all boxes".....

I think I have confused myself trying to read and figure this out by myself..any and all suggestions about set up or operations is appreciated......with D90...focusing is effortless for me......so I think I am doing something incorrectly
    many thanks...

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    By chance, do you have the touch screen focusing controls enabled? If you're not bumping into your arrow keys, or if your arrow keys are set to other functions, or if they're turned off, and the focusing box is still moving, that would be the reason why. By default there is a box on the LCD near the lower left corner that toggles the touch screen settings during shoot mode: off, auto focus, auto focus + shutter.

You would use all of the boxes when you want the camera to be fully automatic at auto focusing, which is the default mode on your D90. You have to have facial recognition on if you want to use this or the camera will focus mostly on the closest object.

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I suggest reading these sites if you haven't already.
    suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]
    User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5: Digital Photography Review

I set mine up with Fn1 as default AEL/AFL, Fn2 as multifunction (& normally leaving it on magnification), Rec. button as MF select/toggle, the 4 way arrow keys as function buttons with the down v button as drive mode & the right > as ISO. The other two are default (& fixed), the left < as focus point select & the ^ as exposure compensation (I just use one of the wheels when in Aperture Priority etc. instead). I also use the Touch to Focus (selectable from the touch point in the lower left hand side of the screen that can be touch to shoot, off or touch to focus) a lot which brings up the magnification box & on the right side of the screen there is also a slider to adjust that size as well as magnification touch point at the bottom right. Once the screen has been touched & a box appears, pressing the OK button will return the camera to the normal screen with whatever screen layout has been selected via the Info key. Pressing the OK button again should bring up the Super Control Panel (SCP) for other quick selections using the touch screen or the arrow keys to navigate the screen.

BTW, after selecting the magnification focus box from the touch screen you can use the EVF & move it around with the arrow keys too.
    I hope all that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    thanks...will read some more...I really appreciate your patience with your responses....
    I am SLowLY learning this camera.....and i really like it....when I do pick up a d90 now...it feel SO big and heavy......