1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

tips for tonight's lunar eclipse.

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by colbycheese, Apr 14, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Not sure if i am posting in the right forum but i am planning on shooting the lunar eclipse tonight. I have 2 lenses i plan on using tonight. Since i don't have any native lenses with long reach, I am going to use my adapted lenses. I am planning on using my Nikon 50mm and my Tamron 80-210mm. So my maximum reach is 420mm. I am planning on doing some timelapse photos early into the eclipse with the Nikon 50 (or maybe the 14-42 kit lens) , and then use the tamron for some close up shots a bit later. Is there any tips that you can give me to make sure i get the best photos possible?

Thanks

Edit: I have 2 bodies that i can set up, but only one adapter, so maybe ill use the 14-42 on one camera for the wide shots? My equipment is below and i have access to all these lenses right now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Clear skies would help...guess I'm out of luck...glad I didn't by the 75-300 specially for this event.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    I also thought of setting an alarm for that, but granted there's supposed to be rain and thunderstorm tonight, I think I will pass :( I doubt I'll be able to see anything.

4. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
  5. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    SoCal
    Make sure you acclimatize all of the gear you plan on using for at least 45 minutes before you shoot, this will help all of your gear reach "thermal equilibrium". Also, try to avoiding shooting from a concrete base due to thermal inertia...then again, if it's your only option that don not worry about it.

Also, stop down your Tamron at least one stop when shooting long.

Hope this helps.

Jason

6. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    thought about it and then it started snowing