tips for shootig amsterdam

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by yehuda, Jun 2, 2013.

1. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Gonna spend a week with my wife in the netherlands, staying in amsterdam.

I'm taking my em5+12-35 and gx1+rokinon7.5 fisheye.
    That's it. No more lenses and no lens swapping!

I'd love to hear tips from people who travelled this wonderful country. Great views, places to see.
    I've done my homework but would love to hear advice from my fellow photographers:)
  2. rgk

rgk Mu-43 Rookie

I spent quite a lot of time in Amsterdam, while working there. I like to just walk around the small streets, but upu should not miss a tour on the canal.
  3. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    That's giod advice. Plan on doing so.

Is the town (incl. suburbs) safe to walk all hours of the day?
    What places to avoid after sunset?
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's pretty safe, as cities go. I walk around there all hours of the night without much worry (lived there for years), just standard precautions you would take anywhere.

Amsterdam is a great city. Lots to see, pretty small. Rent bikes to get the true Dutch experience, but beware trams and other lunatic cyclists ;)

If you want the windmill thing, the Zaanse Schans is close by, the working mills are cool, but is otherwise a bit excessively touristy. The Kinderdijk is a nicer photo/location for that sort of thing. A walk through the dunes or along the beaches can also be a nice change of pace.
  5. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Apart from more windmills in one location, is it really worthwhile to see the kinderdijk instead of the zaanse schans?
    Getting to kinderdijk will waste more than 1 hour each direction from amsterdam and it seems unnecessary.
    About the dunes - that's the first time I heard of seeing dunes in the netherlands. Whereabouts are they?