Tips for Setting Up a GM1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ssgreenley, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I just bought a GM1! It's my first Panasonic camera, and I'm very excited.

When I bought my EPL2, I had it for a month before I discovered the Super Control Panel, and another couple months before I realized that Auto-Gradation was a feature seemingly designed solely to ruin photos and turned it off.

Anyway, are there any tips like that for customizing Panasonic cameras? I've already gathered JPEG noise reduction can be high, so I'll watch that. Anything else? Thanks everybody!
  2. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Mark James
    I have not done any real customizing to mine. I mostly just shoot manual and raw, but have been experimenting with the other modes and JPG to see how they react. I like their implantation better then the older Lumix bodies I have, but they still rarely pick the settings I would as soon as conditions are less then optimal. JPG's look very nice though. I set up the touch screen features to things I use more often, but still don't use them much. I set my function 1 button to ISO because that is the most used function for me that does not have a dedicated button.

Sorry I can't offer more, it is my playing around, always with me camera and not my main body so I keep it simple.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    I'm not going to write the exact steps and menus to do what I'm about to say (because honestly, I'm too lazy and its not too hard to find, search the pdf version of the manual if anything)

Here's a few things I did:
    • Disable the touch to change AF point feature. Its under touch screen settings.
    • Configured the Fn buttons to my liking
    • Adjusted the auto white balance to bias towards Amber and Magenta by 1 unit each.
    • Changed max ISO for Auto ISO to 6400 (personal preference)
    • Made a B+W mode that I liked (specific B+W photo style settings, and fixed ISO for a desirable "film grain" like effect).

Cant think of anything else I really did to my GM1's settings.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks. Sounds like Panny really must have done a good job targeting this at enthusiasts. Everything ya'll have suggested seems like normal new camera customization stuff. In any case, I can't wait to get home and pick it up!
  5. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Being it's your first Panasonic. I would setup the Q Menu to your likings. There are 2 ways to set up the Q Menu, Preset and Custom. I prefer custom where you can choose what order the settings show up in when you enable the Q menu. I set the first option to be ISO since that is something I use a lot and since panasonic got rid of the ISO button on the 4 way directional.

Also another thing to note is silent mode. The full electronic shutter when enabled will show an "E" on the screen and is completely silent and can go to speeds of 1/16000. The compromise is that sometimes it will have a rolling shutter effect on super fast moving objects or you may get banding on plain walls that are lit with artificial light. You can switch to non silent mode and the mechanical shutter will be enabled (which is also very quiet) and you should not have any problems. There is also an auto setting for the shutter where it will decide for you what shutter (electronic/mechanical) to be used. You can also set this in the Q menu.

Another cool feature I find on the GM1 is the half press release shutter. This will actually set the camera to take the picture on a half press. And when AF is set it will take the photo the very instant it finds an auto focus point. I find this valuable when I'm taking pics of the kids with face detection. Once it finds a face and focuses on it, it just takes the shot automatically on the half press. It's a great way to get candids combined with silent mode. One only problem is that you can't set this in the Q menu you have to set it in the menu system every time you wanna enable/disable it.
  6. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    I've actually written a little book to help out with the set up. It's called 'The Panasonic GM1 Menu System Simplified' on Amazon.
  7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    what screen protectors are you guys using?
  8. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    So it arrived! I was a bit disappointed that it isn't pants-pocket pocketable, but c'est la vie. On the other hand, I was totally unprepared for how monstrously huge the 20 would look on it, haha.

It takes great pictures! Two questions:

1) Is there any way to reset the function of the video record button? With so few physical buttons, it seems a waste to have one I'll never use.

2) Is there anyway to use manual exposure controls with Creative Control mode? (Am I the only one who thinks it's ironic that it has 'control' in the name but they don't actually seem to allow you to manipulate it?)
  9. HOLLYW00D

HOLLYW00D New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2013
  10. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Would you mind sharing that B+W mode?
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1) No.

2) Yes, but you have to set the video exposure mode (PASM) from the menu first. I'm guessing you have it set to P, so you can only adjust ISO.

I wish you could do auto-ISO on manual like on Olympus.