Tips for photographing friends and their new born?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by hazwing, Jul 4, 2015.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I have been asked by a close friend to take some photos of them and their 2month old baby. I did suggest having it done professionally, but they're not too serious about it and prefer that I take it for them. Basically, they would like some decent photos they can share on facebook. Having said that, I would still like to do a good job.

Any suggestions on what to do? Any poses? Any sites/photographers that I can view and get inspiration from?

Here are a few shots from the other day, when I caught up with them.

P1010016 copy. P1010029 copy. P1010733.
  2. onlyablur

onlyablur Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2012
    Hey! I'm a mother of a 2 year old boy, and I take lots of pictures of him, especially when he was a new born. I didn't have anyone come over to photograph him professionally or take him to a studio. Looking back at the photos, I think I have some tips:

- try to keep the background simple; if you go to their home, make sure any clutter is removed from the background.
    - keep the colour palette simple; I find some of the baby clothing and toys are too colourful and can distract the viewers' attention. If you can, get the whole family to dress in harmonising colours - I think soft pastel colours work really well.
    - try to make some close up photos of the cute tiny little hands, fingers, feet, toes etc, as well as full body and head shots.
    - try to capture some lively interaction/quiet moments between the parents and the baby.

There are many excellent new born photographers out there but this blog has entries from different photographers all over the world. So maybe you can get some inspiration from there?

Hope this helps!
    • Like Like x 3
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi, in your example shots, you might want to do something with the light to reduce the highlights on the baby's forehead.
    Perhaps closing a curtain partway, or moving to a different position.

• Like Like x 1