Tips for new lens on Panasonic GX85

Xerlan

New to Mu-43
Hello all,from some months i'm using a Panasonic GX 85 with the pancake lens 12-32 that seems be a very good lens,but now i'm developing the need to have a lens with more focal lenght,in the mean time i'm using a jupiter 21m and a Zenit Helios 44 principally for fun.
I want clarify,i'm not a PRO user,started to shoot with a decent camera just 2 years ago (with a Xiaomi Yi M1) and for this reason i was searching a good zoom lens at not too much price but i don't know on what focal lenght i must search,i focused on lens like the Panasonic Lumix 14-140 3.5/5.6 and the Olympus Zuiko 14-54 2.8/3.5, for now i'm not shooting portrait and i'm using the camera just for travel and events/party,if you have some tips on other lens than the 2 mentioned above you can recommend them without problems.

Thank you.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The 14-140mm f3.5/5.6 would be my choice. The Oly 14-54mm is OK, but the PL12-60mm f3.5 would be a better option in that zoom range.

Goseki

New to Mu-43
I have more or less your same trajectory, I started with a YI M1 and then jump to the GX9 and 12-60 kit lens, the lens is quite good, especially to have all the focal points when you are traveling or a similar situation, I am very happy with it (Even as obsessed with architecture, I feel that I need some zoom to get to those details of the cornices that I like so much)

I have been able to try a couple of longer zooms, thanks to a friend who has a fairly extensive team.
- Tamron 14-150 3.5 / 5.8 (around € 480). Good construction and image quality.
https://www.tamron.eu/lenses/14-150mm-f35-58-di-iii/
- Lumix G X Vario 35-100 2.8 (around 850-1100€). A beast, that 2.8 continuous is wonderful and also with weather sealed. The problem is the price, although from what I was told this lens has nothing to envy to Leica certificates that makes the price quite expensive.

If with a 12-60 you conform and can afford something more expensive than the "kit" (400-450€), I recommend the Leica Elmarit 12-60 2.8 / 4 (800€), I think this one deserves almost the Double investment, if I had bought only the body of the camera I would surely have bought this as a "versatile street zoom" and have a lens for life.

About Olympus I can not comment, I am reluctant to mix both brands since although the mount is the same, everyone has taken a path in terms of certain technologies, it is not serious and I know people who mix and perform real wonders, but I prefer to have all the options that the product offers me when I buy it. A little more information here (https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/mft-compatibility)

All these recommendations always guide me with the prices of my country and that I am a "rookie".

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For a compact body like the GX85, the Panasonic 35-100/4-5.6 is very small and complements the 12-32. The 14-140 is large and doesn’t feel balanced on a GX style body.

The Panny 25/1.7, 15/1.7 or Oly 17/1.7 would be good choices for shooting in lower light conditions such as parties/events.

I travel with a Laowa 7.5/2 ultra wide on my GX7 as that lens is very small and excellent in tight spaces, perfect for museums.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
Getting the impression of not big budget I would suggest 12-60mm 3.5-5.6 for longer range, manual focus and a bit better sharpness for your whole kit lens range.

Another option is to buy the 35-100mm 4-5.6, 45-150mm 4-5.6 or 45-175mm 4-5.6. I think all of these are sharp for their price, last one being the sharpest at long end and most expensive too. Choose based on your priorities and budget.

Small prime gives a lot of versitility to shoot throughout the day hand-held and indoors. 15mm is awesome and can likely be found used. I got mine for 320 euros. 25mm 1.7 is cheap and pretty good but it's not that small to have in the bag all the time and also not possible always to back up indoors to get many people in the frame. 20mm is cheap used too, great and small, but not fastest focus. 14mm 2.5 is even cheaper and smaller and good, but not as fast by aperture.

Last edited:

Xerlan

New to Mu-43
The 14-140mm f3.5/5.6 would be my choice. The Oly 14-54mm is OK, but the PL12-60mm f3.5 would be a better option in that zoom range.
Get a Panasonic Lumix 12-60 f3.5-5.6 and be totally happy with your fairly inexpensive, but excellent choice. ;)
Why choose the panasonic and not the olympus?Ok panasonic lens has the image stabilization on the lens but the olympus lens has a better range of aperture,or i'm wrong on something?

In other case thank you all for the response :hail: if you've other tips to share,you're all free to do,i'm just a beginner :th_salute:

WT21

Super Moderator
Get a Panasonic Lumix 12-60 f3.5-5.6 and be totally happy with your fairly inexpensive, but excellent choice. ;)
^^ This all day long. And also a wider but brighter prime for parties. Like the Panny 15/1.7 or P20/1.7 or the Oly 17/1.8

As Matti Sulanto said in his recent video: "If you're asking: 'What should I buy next?', I think that's a wrong question. You should be asking: 'What should I photograph next?'"

With that said, the Panasonic 14-140mm gives you lots of flexibility in terms of focal length. It can help you decide what types of photos you like to take and which focal lengths you actually use. If you buy it used, you won't lose too much money if you end up not liking it. Do keep in mind that it's not very suitable for indoor use. And I must say that I almost never use it since getting a few nice primes and f/2.8 zooms, and am trying to sell it.

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think P12-60 is the way to go, if budget allows also add a P25mm f1.7

This would give you a very nice walkaround do it all lens, and something to deal with low light. Excellent quality overall, very budget conscious kit.

If you think you may miss the size of the 12-32, you can replace the 25mm with the P20mm f1.7 which is a bit more expensive but very pocketable.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Another vote for the 35-100 F4-5.6 collapsing zoom. Paired with your current lens and the GX85, it's a good, compact system. Then add the 20mm F1.7 and you have low light capabilities as well.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I also shoot a GX85. Since I’m still in my first year of m4/3, my lens choices started from an inventory of zero.

My default set is the PL15/1.7, the P25/1.7 and the P12-35/2.8. I'm delighted with these choices for everyday use. For travel I have the P12-60 (the 15 goes with me as well).

I've used the GX85 for 2 trips so far, 3 months in France and 3 weeks in southern Utah. After shooting around 5,000 images with the 12-60 I've noticed I'm shooting at either the very wide end or the long end. For France the 12-32 would have sufficed. For Utah I needed more length. The long end is simple to fix but at the cost of either weight (for travel and all day carries while walking 10+ miles a day) or compromising on the wide end. Which I'm not willing to do. So I'm in a bit of a quandary here.

My message is think through how you shoot as that's what's going to determine what travel oriented zoom you pick. I view the "starter" choices as either the P12-60 or P14-140. If you don't know how you might shoot, flip a coin, pick one and pay attention to the focal range you're tending to use. No matter how good a lens might be, it needs to support your shooting style, not mine, not others.

Where you travel can also have a bearing on your choice. If you are willing to change lenses during travel, as mentioned above, your 12-32 can cover the wide end. For me, that means changing lenses in the rain as I frequently find myself north of the Alps in Europe or in dusty high desert areas in the USA. So I go for a one lens solution.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Why choose the panasonic and not the olympus?Ok panasonic lens has the image stabilization on the lens but the olympus lens has a better range of aperture,or i'm wrong on something?

In other case thank you all for the response :hail: if you've other tips to share,you're all free to do,i'm just a beginner :th_salute:
The P 12-60 is a well-respected lens. The fact that it's offered in a few kits has created a saturated market, reducing the price on used quite a bit. I got my perfect used copy for $175 U.S. Check out the lens showcases in these forums to get an idea of image quality for the various lenses.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The P14-140 f3.5 is my favourite lens. Really good. You could possibly buy the P42.5 as a portrait, fast flower lens afterwards.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
Too many choices. A good way to cull the
list is to insist on a Lumix Power OIS lens,
not Mega OIS, and no Olympus lenses.

Every "adviser" in this thread fusses over
FL, "reach", "width". Valid but very narrow
minded and misleading. Your GX85 has
Dual-IS, but only with Power OIS lenses.

No one has mentioned this at all [if some
reply did, sorry I missed it ... ]. Dual IS is a
huuuuge benefit. Narrow the field to only
Power OIS lenses and your head will stop
spinning :)

Both the 12-60 and 14-140 are Power OIS
lenses. I use both. I'd recommend either.

If you wanna go as cheap as possible, you
can keep the 12-32 and the watch for $99
sales on the 45-140 Mega OIS that is part
of the 2-lens GX85 kit. 12-32 and 45-140
is all you need and you can do it for $99
by watching for sales.

BTW I'm not guessing at anything and not
parroting "online experts". I use every item
mentioned in this post. More over, I also
use higher level m4/3 stuff, but find that
the stuff in this post is all I really NEED.

WT21

Super Moderator
Too many choices. A good way to cull the
list is to insist on a Lumix Power OIS lens,
not Mega OIS, and no Olympus lenses.

Every "adviser" in this thread fusses over
FL, "reach", "width". Valid but very narrow
minded and misleading. Your GX85 has
Dual-IS, but only with Power OIS lenses.

No one has mentioned this at all [if some
reply did, sorry I missed it ... ]. Dual IS is a
huuuuge benefit. Narrow the field to only
Power OIS lenses and your head will stop
spinning :)

Both the 12-60 and 14-140 are Power OIS
lenses. I use both. I'd recommend either.

If you wanna go as cheap as possible, you
can keep the 12-32 and the watch for $99
sales on the 45-140 Mega OIS that is part
of the 2-lens GX85 kit. 12-32 and 45-140
is all you need and you can do it for $99
by watching for sales.

BTW I'm not guessing at anything and not
parroting "online experts". I use every item
mentioned in this post. More over, I also
use higher level m4/3 stuff, but find that
the stuff in this post is all I really NEED.
Is this poetry? I'm trying to read it as such, because of the line and paragraph breaks, but I'm not quite getting the meter.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
Is this poetry? I'm trying to read it as such,
because of the line and paragraph breaks,
but I'm not quite getting the meter.
Free verse. Only to be read aloud.
Sorry, I shoulda included a notice.

P.S. Your own is way cool !

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
EDIT to say I just noticed that the OP posted this question a month ago and may have made up their mind already, but I'll leave this here anyway…

Since you have the Panasonic 12-32 lens already, I would check to see how often you use the 12mm end. I have the Panasonic 12-60 lens that has been recommended a few times in this thread already and I use it at 12mm *a lot*. I think that is one reason why people would recommend it over one of the zooms that starts at 14mm. As for the difference at the long end, it depends what you are photographing but I find that for city travel and events the wide to short-tele range (up to about 40-50mm in m/43 terms) is where most of my shooting is done, so I would rather have the 12mm end of the Panasonic 12-60 than the 140mm end of the Olympus 14-140. The fact that you get Dual-IS with your GX85 body is another big plus, although you might change cameras down the line so I wouldn't make that your primary concern.

You mainly ask about a longer focal length, so instead getting a different all-in-one zoom another option would be to stick with your 12-32 and just add a second tele zoom like the little Panasonic 35-100, or possibly a longer prime like the Panasonic 42.5.

Finally, I agree with others who recommend eventually adding a prime lens in the 14-25 range for low light (think indoor family events) or more creative opportunities where your zoom will come up short. My preference is the PL 15/1.8, but the P 20/1.7 and Oly 17/1.8 are great options too. I sometimes find that the 25mm lenses can feel too tight for indoor family events.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom