Tips for focusing adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Speedliner, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Hi folks,

Newbie question re Focus with adapted lenses. I'd like to buy a long, fast legacy lens it two for my e-m1, but I find it very difficult to focus manually without peaking.

My old Minolta lenses are very challenging to focus. Might be my 50-something eyesight adding to the challenge, so I need focusing aids.

Will any legacy AF lens with electrical contacts provide peaking with an appropriate adapter? Is that the best approach? I can't imagine trying to manually focus a 300, or 400mm without aids.

Thanks for any advice.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Peaking has nothing to do with the lens. It is done on the sensor. So any adapted lens can utilize peaking.

I have actually found that assigning magnify to a button is easier and better than using peaking. Touch the button to zoom in, adjust focus, snap the picture. I think you have to set a half-press to remove magnification somewhere in the menus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    That's what I thought, but I read somewhere that peaking wasn't enabled without an electronic connection between lens and camera. Maybe that meant, automatic peaking when you MF as the mtf lenses do. Maybe a button had to be programmed for peaking for lenses without the connection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Correct! Automatic focus peaking can only be used for native lenses. Focus peaking can be used with adapted lenses either by assigning that function to a button or leaving it on all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Adapted lenses can only be used with manual focus, so focus peaking is your best bet. Other strategies are magnification or zone focusing, but those a bit tougher to nail, IMHO.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    stupid question, have you got your diopter adjustment set so that the screen (and all the text in there) is clear?

I've never used focus peaking and every m43 camera I've used with an EVF since the first G1 has made it pretty obvious to my eye that I've got focus.

* make sure you focus with the lens "wide open" (smallest F number), then maybe stop down one or two if desired
    * to really nail it use the magnification function

best wishes

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Hi pell. Yes, I'm afraid it's just me. EVF or live. Guess I'll have to break down and get bifocals after all.

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I don't have focus peaking. Been using magnify mode for years. Does focus peaking on the EM1, after you have mapped it to a button, work with IS stabilization during preview?

For my longest lenses, 200mm and 300mm, it's very very hard to focus them hand held unless I have IBIS activated with a half shutter press on my EM5. I usually rest the lens on a stable surface, if possible, even with IBIS.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Yes. Figured it out yesterday after some of the answers in this thread. Peaking is automatic.

For adapted lenses, programming a button enables it. Works beautifully.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I'm a shade over 50 and find that making the diopter adjustment (you know the one I'm talking about right?, near the eye piece) works better than attempting to use the camera with glasses.
    [​IMG]

Unless I'm trying to use the rear screen ... then its glasses.

Glad to read you worked out the auto engagement of the peaking. My cameras don't have it but I have read that focus was not tightly on where the peaking indicated it should be, so I never desired more than magnification.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015