1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tips for better high ISO images with Olympus Cameras

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Lupin 3rd, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:17 PM.

1. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    Thought this might be worth sharing.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Well, whadya know? I'm really glad to have seen this vid as it's the first one that I've ever watched in respect of the processing. Although I am familiar with ETTR and use it often, I'm completely self taught in regards to processing, arriving at where I am in processing by simply "mucking about" on PS CS6. The highlight and luminosity slider came to be my best friends in regards to noise.

Someone once asked me on another forum for advice as to how I arrived at my high iso images being so clean, but when I replied that I arrived at clean images via ettr and those two sliders, I got slammed by a few people who said that I should be using a noise reduction programme. Nice to know that this guy thinks that I got it right.

3. I'll add another tip to that. First thing to do in RAW is place that sharpening slider to 0 before attempting any other processing. RAW automatically adds some sharpening, often as high as 50. Increasing Clarity and Vibrance and other modifications whilst ACR's default sharpening is in place only leads to increases in the noise/artifacts. I never sharpen in RAW and only sharpen as the last process in jpg and then only via Smart Sharpen. Using luminence to reduce noise also reduces the ACR pre applied sharpening so why allow ACR to apply it? Leave the sharpening till the last process in PS and try and stick to smart sharpen

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rob Rider

Rob Rider Mu-43 Rookie Subscribing Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Tucson Arizona
    If you want a one click solution, the AI Clear adjustment in Topaz Studio will make you stop wondering if you need to switch to FF once and for all.
    The Topaz Studio is a free download and they have a 30 day trial on the adjustments. It gets rid of noise and sharpens in one step. It sounds too good to be true but
    it really does work.
    Here is a link to their site. AI Clear – Topaz Labs

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.