Tips/advice on checking out a used OMD EM5?

tm3

Mu-43 Regular
as far as evaluating for proper function of a used copy, is there anything in particular to check for? any known "trouble spots" for the EM5?

as far as i can tell the controls seem to function properly and test shots are in the works. the controls on the 12-50 feel kind of sloppy but from what i have read that is to be expected.

thanks!

klee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
check the shutter count, I personally dont know how this is done.

check the contacts under the body (pull off the rubber cover)
check the hotshoe and accessory port contacts (pull off the plastic covers).
see if the flipscreen bezel is cracked near the screws.

test the max fps continuous shutter drive mode.
examine the sensor for scratches

tm3

Mu-43 Regular
good suggestions, thanks. as far as checking the sensor, just pull off the lens and eyeball it or is there something more specific?

i looked up shutter count and here is how to do it. thanks again

For those who want to check their OM-D E-M5 shutter count, just go with these steps:

► Camera OFF
► Hold down MENU button and turn ON the camera
► Release MENU button and press MENU again to get to Menus
► Go to LCD Brightness Menu, that's in Spanner Menu and third item down.
► Press RIGHT to show screen adjusters
► Press INFO and then press OK and on my E-M5 this shows on screen....
OLYMPUS E-M5 0A 01 01 01
► Press in sequence UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/SHUTTER/UP and Page 1 info appears

► Variously press RIGHT for Page 2, DOWN for Page 3, LEFT for Page 4 and UP again to get Page 1

What we are looking for is the information on Page 2, on my E-M5 it shows.....
R 000091 [total shutter actuation count]
S 000011 [shot count with flash]
C 000000
U 000018 [turn on count which is ultrasonic wave cleaner count]
V 000000

B 000101 [seems to be total number of times shutter button is fully pressed for any reason]
L 000000

On Page 4 is D: damage code log, mine shows blank and that is good.

These are the same steps you can use to check shutter count from all Olympus PEN series and DSLR E-5

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've not had any specific problems with mine, and I bought it used about 10 months ago. I seem to recall some people having shutter failure at high shutter speeds. Take some shots of plain backgrounds at 1/4000th sec and check for any horizontal banding, esp at the bottom of the image. Check also that the IBIS is working - not just on long exposure shots, but on those in the 1/30th to 1/250 range.

tm3

Mu-43 Regular
Paul how do you check the IBIS? I have never owned one with IBIS.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Look for blurred images - esp if there is a clear double-image effect at speeds you think should be sharp. If you do see this, it might be shutter shock though, so make sure you activate the anti-shock function (gears, menu D) to 1/8th sec or more.

Dramaturg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yevgen
Some EM-5 have had shutter problems, as it was noted above. Try doing a few shots at 1/4000 - some people were simply getting black images once in a while.

Also another way to check the IBIS is either by half pressing the shutter button (the image should stabilze in the EVF especially at the longer end of the lens) or by activating the video mode (again, you should get a very smooth footage; no shake at the longer end).

Most of EM5s have cracks on the LCD bazel, which is a design issue (the plastic is too thin and people get those cracks even after the bazel was replaced) and, I assume, nothing to worry about.

Latest threads

Top Bottom