1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

TIPA Awards for 2011 Announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, Apr 21, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The TIPA awards have just been announced and small format cameras have done absolutely brilliantly. The Fuji X110 won best premium camera, the Olympus X1 won best compact camera - expert, the Panasonic GH2, unsurprisingly, won the Best Compact Camera System - Expert Category and in a surprise decision, the Olympus E5 has won the D-SLR Expert Category. I see this as further proof that micro four thirds and other small sensored cameras are now a serious category and true competition for the “traditional” D-SLR formats.

For the GH-2 TIPA said “The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 is a true 'hybrid' photo and video camera, where video is no longer just an additional function. The DMC-GH2 features full HD 1920x1080, 60i (NTSC) / 50i (PAL) smooth, high quality video recording with 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL) output in addition to the high quality photo, a world's first for cameras in this category. The DMC-GH2 can be operated through an intuitive touch control screen. For example, just tapping a subject on the screen will make the camera focus with a speed that rivals the best DSLR's on the market.”

For the Olympus X-1 compact, “The Olympus XZ-1 has one of the fastest zoom lenses in its class, the iZuiko f1.8-2.5 6.0-24mm (28-112mm equivalent angle of view in 35mm cameras.) Rather than succumb to the continuing Megapixel race, the light-reception area of each pixel of the 1/1.63-inch, 10 Megapixel CCD has been doubled. The XZ-1’s AF illuminator, Dual Image Stabilisation, Low-Light mode that automatically adjusts the ISO sensitivity up to ISO 3200 and the compact size all add up to an exciting “candid” camera that also offers advanced manual controls.”

The E-5 was lavished with praise. “For a very reasonable price, the Olympus E-5 provides benefits that rival those found in some professional SLRs: complete weather-sealing, comprehensive functions, excellent responsiveness, 100% viewfinder, good noise control, dual CF/SD slots, built-in image stabilisation, all in a rugged magnesium-alloy body. Add to this Olympus' Dust Reduction System, which has proven to be among the most effective solutions in the market. The 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor, combined with the 'TruePic V+' image engine produces images that rival competitors with substantially higher pixel counts.”

High praise indeed, especially since that’s the same sensor that’s in the EPL2 and G10 m4/3 cameras. And you were thinking that they couldn’t compete with the “big” boys..... Awards are always somewhat controversial and debated, but this will certainly get even more interest in formats like m4/3.

For all of the winners visit the TIPA site. TIPA - TECHNICAL IMAGE PRESS ASSOCIATION - Home page

Gordon

• Like Like x 3
  2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    A camera that isn't even available? I wonder how much Fuji spent in advertising in the 29 member publications that make up the Technical Image Press Association.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Makes you wonder about the credibility of the awards, no? :smile:

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    naive to assume that any award event isn't without some hidden agenda....

K

5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Karmic wheel of destiny - I remember years when Canon or Nikon made a grand slam and they where quite happy to display the TIPA logo on their winning products. It's only distributive justice in the making.

6. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

s

I think that was just a typo error. If you go to the TIPA website itselc, the award went to the Fuji X100, not X110. And I believe the X100 is already available in the market right?

7. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    We may have a different opinion of the word "available" lol. The vast majority of people that have ordered this camera have yet to receive it. Even big retailers like B&H never had it in stock.

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    There was a really big earthquake in Japan. This has caused some supply problems. Compounded with the fact the camera was far more popular than Fuji predicted, this has made demand outstrip supply.

I don't think the camera received an award for availability.

9. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I think it's great. Awards do draw attention and that is what we need for m4/3 to succeed and flourish. But I am not at all surprised - these small cameras spell the eventual end of the large, heavy, cumbersome DSLR with its archaic flapping mirror. We can grouse about this little deficit or that, but anyone who has fallen in love with this format can see the writing on the wall, and one by one all those little annoyances, like high ISO noise, will be conquered. Congratulations to Olympus and Panasonic!

• Like Like x 1