1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tip for using an A/S plate with an E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    When I was shooting with my E-PL2, I purchased a Markins P20 three-channel plate so I could mount the body on my tripod ballhead. The E-PL2 worked well with the P20 plate, as I could easily open the battery/SD card door without having to first remove the plate. Unfortunately, the E-PL5 is a bit tighter layout, and the traditional mounting of the plate, parallel with the camera body, does not allow access to the battery or SD card without first having to remove the plate. As I was shooting a number of long exposures over the course of several evenings recently, I wanted to remove the battery at the end of the night for recharging. Needless to say, it was a hassle to remove the plate each time I wanted access to the battery or SD card.

On a whim, I decided to mount the plate perpendicular to the body as it allowed access to the battery or SD card, and it did not obstruct the rear LCD screen's movement or mounting a lens. It seemed like an unusual arrangement, but I figured that it did not impact the camera's stability due to its light weight (relative to my ballhead's capacity), and working with the clamp rotated 90 degrees was also not an issue. So far, so good.

I left the plate on the camera when I was shooting with it hand held the next day, and I discovered that with the plate being perpendicular, it allowed my left index finger a bit of a grip while my left thumb ran along the left side of the camera. To my surprise, this arrangement provided me a bit of extra stability, as I was able to hold the camera body more securely by "pinching" the camera between my thumb (resting against the left side of the camera) and index finger ("pulling" against the far side of the plate).

This may not be a comfortable grip for everybody, but I found it to work for me. I would imagine that this would also work with Sirui's TY-C10 plate, as it is about the same size and design as Markins' P20 plate.

--Ken