1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tip: Assigning custom settings profiles to worthless dial modes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fader, May 19, 2019.

1. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Intermittent Globe Trotter
    Isaac
    One of my biggest disappointments with the small Olympus bodies has been the lack of C1,C2,C3 settings on the dial. After airing this grievance in another thread about my Pen I got to looking at the manual (RTFM ...nearly 3yrs later?!) and lo and behold, I made 2 gigantic-to-me discoveries.

1) In fact, even the lowly selfie camera has 4 (count 'em, FOUR!) custom settings profiles in the mysterious "Reset/Myset" item in the top level menu. You can preset everything from jpeg sharpness, face detect on/off, focus helpers, drive mode ... nearly anything.

2) Any mode on the main PASM dial can be assigned to up to 3 of the Myset settings profiles. (For some reason Myset4 is grayed out on my camera, but I'm not going to get greedy!) In the menu for Button/Dial (B in the "gears" menu on my EPL7), choose Mode Dial function and you'll see the menu for Myset1-4. Just select one and assign it. That's it!

:cloud-9-039:

After about an hour of setting everything up, "Program / iAuto / Art" are now forever remapped to Travel / Action / Tripod shooting profiles. While I'm not going to magically grow 2 more axis of IBIS or materialize a second control wheel, this discovery is going to make my life a whole lot easier. I assume it's the same setting for OMD10s and the other Pen cameras so I thought I'd share.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle haunted scrap heap Subscribing Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Like, The Valley
    The "MySet" has to actually have settings saved to it before it can be assigned. I do pretty much exactly the same, but I use the iAuto, ART, SCN, and "weird rectangles" slots on the dial. :D 

It would be neat to create a list of the settings that are actually saved per MySet, or maybe rather the "global" ones that aren't. I had a little trial and error with that initially, IIRC...

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    ah-ha! thanks for that. I actually switched my "Action Jackson" mode (my dog's name is Jackson - heh) to P since I shoot in aperture-priority 99% of the time. Sure is nice to have AF-C, ISO-Auto, highspeed sequential, small JPEG, IBIS-1 all click into place with the dial, spray and pray on the dog, then go back to normal shooting. What a huge relief.

I've noticed that I can only program the down and right arrow buttons on the 4-way controls. Left for AF grid and Up for EV can't be re-assigned on mine. I'm on Firmware 1.1 - does this change in some kind of update?

edit: holy cow, I just looked and saw that 1.4 is available on the support site. Looks like I have a nice distraction project for tomorrow.

cheers

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  4. junkyardsparkle

Nov 17, 2016
    Like, The Valley
    Yep... it may not be terribly intuitive to set up, but once you do it makes this a really nice little ready-for-anything camera... along with the nice control wheel around the shutter button. There are some pretty good reasons for it being my weapon of choice.

I'm using v1.3 firmware on mine, and still only have those two arrows as remappable. I think the things that I found were global rather than per-MySet settings were also mostly related to button assignment, which kind of makes sense, since I want things to work pretty much the same in all cases... but I was able to set up back button AF for a single MySet, on the other hand, which is kind of nice...

5. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    the wheel / shutter control is very slick, and with the tilt screen kicked out just a bit, one handed operation is very easy. on top of that, the front grip on the Pens is so comfortable compared to the rest of the M43 lineup, especially with its weight, size. If they'd given the EPL7 the EP5's dual wheels, I don't think I could ask for much more. Each time I've been frustrated with the camera I find some setting or feature I hadn't learned to use properly (like now - lol). The versatility and IQ in such a compact body is pretty amazing, even for being around 5 year old tech at this point.

I experimented with BBF but I don't shoot street enough to really get the pace of it. Being able to do it at all on the Pen Lite is pretty cool. I use AE-Lock quite a bit since I'm usually shooting more scenic / static subjects.

6. DefectiveMonk

DefectiveMonk Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio, US
    Mark
    Since I spend a lot of time traveling with my family I have one of the MySets on my EM10ii configured for "hand the camera to take a photo of all of us" settings. Let's you be a little more selective than iAuto. I don't think iAuto changes your focus setting which causes all sorts of issues if you have BBF set up with small focus points then your image is never in focus.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. junkyardsparkle

Nov 17, 2016
    Like, The Valley
    The basis of my lifelong love of Olympus cameras, in a nutshell.
    I use it for my handheld macro mode, where I don't actually use the AF for final focus (camera movement for that) but rather as a quick way to adjust the working distance/magnification.
    Yeah, I similarly use the iAuto slot for what I'll call "MyAuto", which is set up as a "smart" A mode (I don't feel like the camera ever needs to choose aperture, really).
    That's strange behavior... I've never used it, or even really heard much about anybody using it... P mode is more than enough of a crapshoot, I reckon. ;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.