1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tiny foot

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by super slinky, Jul 18, 2012.

1. super slinky

super slinky Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 14, 2012
    Hi!
    I'm basically new to all of this and I know this image will suck, but I'm in the process of learning anyway. I know there is so much wrong in this especially after browsing the galleries here, but i can't seem to point it out. composition maybe or sharpness? I really don't know. Any advice or critique would highly be appreciated. TIA :smile:
    -Louie
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalouie/7595852130/" title="P7117340 by DigitaLouie, on Flickr"> 7595852130_6fce17e42a. "500" height="398" alt="P7117340"></a>
    shot with an E-P2 SMC Takumar 50mm wide open

• Like Like x 12
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think it's nicely done

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I am not sure why you think this image sucks. I also think it is rather nicely done, but if I have to be critical, I would suggest reducing the aperture enough so that the entire foot is in focus, rather than the front half of it, but I don't know how the increased DOF would affect the rest of the image. Perhaps moving the camera so that the entire foot is on the same parallel plane to the camera sensor would be the solution? Again, that might spoil the composition, too! I guess if you are unhappy with this image, you could take several images of the same subject at different angles and apertures to see how you could improve upon it...

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Looks rather perfect to me. :2thumbs:

5. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    It looks great to me. I too would suggest trying to get a little bit more of DOF, but the image you have captured looks very very nice. Keep shooting and posting!

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice image mate...nothing at all wrong with it. (great lens too btw)

7. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I really like it!

8. super slinky

Jul 14, 2012
    I agree, it mightve been better with the whole foot in focus. Thanks for the comments. :thumbup:

9. super slinky

Jul 14, 2012
    Thanks! :smile:

10. super slinky

Jul 14, 2012
    Yep! Thanks for the suggestion! :smile:

Thanks! Im loving the lens too :smile:

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree that other than the earlier suggestion to consider stopping down a bit to get a slight increase in the DOF there's not much I'd change about this photo. In fact, the shallow DOF of the current shot doesn't really bother me. The composition within the frame is terrific.

The only other suggestion I might add would be to try include something else in the frame for a size reference. I'm not sure that would improve it, but it's just a suggestion of something to keep in mind.

Print and frame it and hang it on your wall.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Agree that it's a nice shot, and agree with the suggestions to try to get more of the foot in focus. But I wouldn't hesitate to display it as is. The tonal range is good, the contrast is fine. Nothing to apologize for at all.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree - this photo looks just fine as it is, nicely done. :cool:

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I tried doing a much tighter crop, and then added local contrast enhancement (Unsharp Mask Amount 20%, Radius 30, Threshold 0). The tight crop seemed to make the heel being out of focus matter less, and the boost in contrast helps bring out the 3D feeling.

Baby_Foot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. super slinky

Jul 14, 2012
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Highly appreciated!

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I actually prefer the framing of the original. Somehow even though what's in that upper corner is completely blurred, it gives me more of a sense that the foot is actually attached to someone.

I'm not saying that the tightly cropped interpretation is bad, just that it doesn't "speak to me" as loudly.

17. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

+1

18. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I'll just +1 what's been said about a little more depth of focus (and I prefer the original crop too). Keep shooting and looking critically at good photos (yours and other folks'), you'll start to develop an eye for composition, etc. That SMC Takumar is my favorite lens, by the way!

19. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    It's really good as it is, thanks!