Timing of the Gx9 Release

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D7k1, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Fall 2017

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Spring 2018

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Fall 2018

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Spring 2019

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    When do you think it will happen? Is fall 2017 too close to the Gh5 really being available? I would hope this fall or next spring, but I don't have a clue.

2. Looks like wishful thinking is in front... :laugh1:

3. arjubx

arjubx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    Lei
    I would not be surprised with a fall 2017. The gx8 is just so poorly positioned in the market right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Personally I hope it is released mid-2018 or later. Need more time to save money for one... :doh:

Realistically, late 2017-early 2018 seems likely.

5. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I just really hope they haven't given up on the form factor. It's been said that they were disappointed with the sales of the GX8, but really, they shot themselves in the foot with the GX85 launch and yet all of us who have a GX8 would gladly take a GX9. Seems to be the same for those who want a flagship camera but not the GH5.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX85 is a bit of a wrench in the gears, but for what it's worth, prior to that, each of the GX- cameras have been released less than 2 years apart.

GX1 - 11/2011
    GX7 - 8/2013
    GX8 - 7/2015

GX85 - 4/2016

If the GX85 (rather than the GX8) is seen as a direct successor to the GX7, and the GX8 is seen as a different parallel line, that would mean that the GX7 successor took 2 years 8 months. If the GX8 successor is similar, that would mean a Winter/Spring 2018 release date.

However, if the GX85 is a blip because Panasonic felt out of position in the market, and they are planning to continue iterating as before, we should see the GX9 in Summer 2017, let alone Fall.

Personally, I think that the superb G85 is eating the GX8's lunch. The GX8 is a good camera, but feels like it needs a quick iteration to regain its marketplace mojo, just like the E-M5 II. Both Panasonic and Olympus are in a weird position where their extreme high-end options (E-M1 II, GH5) and their entry-level range options (GX85, E-M10 II) are fresher and competitive especially when price is taken into acount, but the meaty part of the market in the $1000-1500 range is feeling a bit dated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The GX8 had such a strange history. At first many reviewers noted how big it was. Then there was the whole shutter shock issue. Then the GX85 came out with a better shutter (reinforcing the shutter shock issue) and better stabilization. On top of all this, this all happened in a really short time. It's not surprising that all of this would severely curtail sales since there are so many alternatives to any camera.

8. CyVan

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Well I hope you're right, but my worry is that we haven't heard ANYTHING , not one peep about a GX9. :(

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    With the GX85 and the G85 out there, they may be taking their time to get the GX9 right from the get go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't think it's a surprise. The soonest we could expect it is 6 months out, and Panasonic usually keeps a pretty tight lid on things that far in advance.

We didn't really get any useful leaks about the GH5, and if I recall the GX8 didn't really leak before its announcement either.

I feel like the G85 is getting pretty good traction in the market, and Panasonic is going to sell as many GH5s as they can make for a little while. The GX85 also had a really warm reception. I think for a lot of outside observers (not necessary camera users) the GX8 looks like a bit of a low point in Panasonic's recent history, but they're on a roll now, so I'm sure there will be a successor.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. Just scale the GX8 down to GX7 dimensions and I'm ready to go. Normally I shoot two identical bodies but I am stuck in analysis paralysis right now with one of each. I love the form factor and the handling of the GX7 but the '8 has some nice features, not the least of which is the articulated LCD. A '9 with a reasonable form factor could solve the problem for me.

12. CyVan

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Yeah , after seeing the feature set of the GH5 and what they've done with the G85 I can see a clear roadmap for what they might be doing for the GX9 to differentiate the flagships from the rest of the line. Originally it was things like weather sealing. Now I'm guessing the GX9 is going to have the GH5 photo-centric features (sensor, procesing engine , ibis etc) + dual card slots minus the advanced video stuff (codecs, full size hdmi, headphone out) but all in a more refined GX8 style body. Hopefully priced around $1500 or less :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    In my opinion, I love the Gx8 - have 2- and I will get the Gx9 as I have an investment in Pany Glass and will probably get the 12-60 and new 50-200 zooms. If the Gx85 was 20 mpx I would get it now. Panasonic does not have the art form that the Oly's do, but I feel their cameras are working tools that give me a lot of confidence when I image. I'm betting price is somewhere between $1300 and $1400 - which is pretty good for a Leica substitute:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. CyVan

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Yeah that's the thing. Even if sales figures were low, everyone that seems to have a GX8 loves it, myself included. So hopefully Panasonic is going off that sentiment :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Pshaw, speak for yourself! :) Tell me with a straight face these aren't beautiful.

32526823861_b169f49979_h.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I hope they maintain the size of the GX8 as this does help it to balance with the large/long lenses now available, without having to resort to the DSLR-style bodies. I suspect Panasonic will maintain the GXX line and smaller GXXX lines so that differing size and feature preferences are catered to. That can be the most profitable way to go and it can offer broader appeal to the pro-market. A bit like Olympus with the EM5 and the smaller EM10 range.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I want it out as soon as possible so that the price can start falling. Don't really see the point of upgrading from GX7 to GX8 but would like to get weather sealing eventually.

18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, we're in the same boat.

The G85 is really tempting from a feature point of view, but the sensor is the same as the GX7 (but with the disadvantages of only 10-bit readout on the silent shutter, albeit offset by the more usable mechanical shutter and the lack of AA filter).

However, the fact that Panasonic dramatically improved their Auto ISO implementation on the GH5 is what I am going to hold out for. Being able to use Exposure Compensation and set a Minimum Shutter Speed with Auto ISO in Manual Mode is a dream. By far the best way to expose a photo - you have control over every single creative variable that matters (depth of field, motion effects, overall brightness), and the camera is in charge of extracting the best image quality (i.e. ensuring the lowest ISO). If the GH5 has it, the GX9, GX90, or G90 will have it, too.

19. Delb0y

Delb0y Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    When I first started this digital photography lark about three years ago with my humble G3 I was lusting after a GX7. I've progressed to a tiny GM1 - the innards of which I believe are the same as a GX7. But I'm still lusting after that 7. With all these new models coming out the old ones will soon be down in my price range :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I'm not sure I like the speed with which new (micro four thirds) cameras are coming out. It's not that I lust after them - it's just that it provokes a very rapid depreciation curve on existing bodies. I also feel that some new models don't distinguish themselves sufficiently from their predecessors. My policy now is to buy bodies which have been out for at least a year, I feel I'm wasting less money that way. I am also more inclined these days to buy preowned. I think more people are starting to feel that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1