Time to upgrade from the 75-300

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was shooting with my 75-300 at the high school baseball and softball games, and I was not happy.
The zoom ring did not turn easily and smoothly. That made it hard for me to easily zoom from wide to follow the ball, to tight to the player catching the ball.

So the question now is: to get a MC20 for my 40-150/2.8 to get me to 80-300, or get the 100-400?
The MC20 is the cheaper option by far, and is what I am leaning towards.
I would be interested in hearing from those of you that have both configurations.

I would also be interested in hearing about a comparison of the ease of turning the zoom ring of the 40-150/2.8 vs the 100-400.
update: I found my answer in Tom Stirr's article. He said the zoom ring on the 100-400 is very smooth, but noticeably stiffer than the 40-150/2.8. Probably because the 100-400 is an extending zoom, so you have more mass to push out.
Tom also works the zoom ring like I do my Nikon 70-200/4. :biggrin: Tripod collar on the hand, and thumb and fingers working the zoom ring.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While not really answering your question i can give you my thoughts on my perceived upgrade from the panasonic 100-300 to the oly 100-400
You have to take into account that i have no real skills handling a long lens, just my experience so far.

I found the panasonic 100-300 very nice to use. With the dual IS one does not need any skills to use it (with a compatable panasonic body to dual IS) with my lizard photos down to about 1/60 or on a had day 1/125 shutter speed very easy and i can swing the camera around very quickly and not have to think about steading it when taking the next shot.

With the Oly 100-400 i have to keep the shutter speed up high and not swing the camera too quickly. Like i said i am no birder and dont have any skills with these lenses. I need at least 1/500 with rhe Oly and still subjects for reliable results

The Oly rings are smooth to use. Tom Stirr mentioned he held the tripod collar to help stop the rotation slop (for lack of a better word) that a few people have commented on. For some reason Oly have changed the hole in the lens mount for this lens. Instead of a slot they made a round hole and put little inserts in to make it a slot. Only after a few mounts of the lens these inserts show what I call bruising that could end up giving some slop in the mount.

The Oly 100-400 is a bit sharper to me than the Panasonic 100-300 and apart from the lens mount hole I really like it. But for my lizard shots the Pany will have to be my go to untill i get some more practice with the Oly lens. But with Covid looking like not letting me travel again this year, not much incentive to use the Oly lens as i dont have any use for the extra lenght presently.

After using the Oly 12-100 i dont rhink too much for the 100-400 stabilization but it does hold the image steady making it easy to frame up, just not as good as my Pany combination for low shutter speeds.

I also own the Oly 40-150 pro and 1.4 TC. I find that a great combination. It does soften the image a little but not too much. But I miss the stabilisation I have wigh the the Pany combination so i sacrifice some IQ for ease of use. From what i have read it seems the Oly 2x TC may be sharper than the 1.4, wish i had one to try. I agree with Tom the rings on the 40-150 are very smooth, it is an all round very good lens.

If you have the funds I would say get the Oly 100-400 as it sounds like you have a good use case for it.

Real Name
Walter
Hey @ac12, I see you ordered the MC-20 for your 40-150. This may be a late entry to the party, but I used an MC-20 with my 40-150 as a way to get out to 300 f5.6 without buying the PL100-400 or the O300 f4 Pro for BIFs. However, I was a little disappointed with the results I got with the MC-20 combo. Could just be me, because Tom Stirr was using it extensively and was getting great results. I ended up getting the O100-400 and while the zoom is not as smooth as the 40-150, the range out to 400 and the IQ definitely did not disappoint. YMMV.

I would characterize the zoom ring of the 40-150 Pro as being suitable for fingertips. The O100-400 requires a firmer grip, but it is definitely better than the PL100-400, which I thought was kinda disappointing for a high-grade lens. I think I get better results with the naked O100-400 than with the 40-150+MC-20. I now use the 40-150 with the MC-14 and am satisfied with that as a "middle" range telephoto zoom. However, the relatively slow aperture of the O100-400 kinda relegates it to daytime use. I note that Tom Stirr is now routinely using the O100-400+MC-14 for his BIFs. The 40-150 Pro+MC-20 has been put away.

I should clarify that when I handhold these lenses, I move the tripod foot out of the way or leave it off entirely. I will turn my left hand up and rest the lens barrel on my palm and let my fingers turn the zoom ring or will hold it with my hand sideways (palm facing to the right) and use the whole hand to turn the zoom ring. I also bought the replacement Haoge tripod ring/foot for the 40-150 Pro to get those built-in Arca-Swiss flanges.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey @ac12, I see you ordered the MC-20 for your 40-150. This may be a late entry to the party, but I used an MC-20 with my 40-150 as a way to get out to 300 f5.6 without buying the PL100-400 or the O300 f4 Pro for BIFs. However, I was a little disappointed with the results I got with the MC-20 combo. Could just be me, because Tom Stirr was using it extensively and was getting great results. I ended up getting the O100-400 and while the zoom is not as smooth as the 40-150, the range out to 400 and the IQ definitely did not disappoint. The Oly 100-400 zooming is definitely better than the PL100-400, which I thought was kinda disappointing for a high-grade lens. I think I get better results with the naked O100-400 than with the 40-150+MC-20. I now use the 40-150 with the MC-14 and am satisfied with that as a "middle" range telephoto zoom. However, the relatively slow aperture of the O100-400 kinda relegates it to daytime use. I note that Tom Stirr is now routinely using the O100-400+MC-14 for his BIFs. The 40-150 Pro+MC-20 has been put away.

I figured the MC20 was a cheaper way to get to 300mm than the 100-400, with better IQ than the 75-300.
High school baseball and softball is in the afternoon where I usually have plenty of sunlight, so the reduction to f/5.6 won't be an issue.
At night I have to shoot at f/2.8, so off comes the TC. And as you said, the 100-400 is too slow.
Once I stop shooting high school baseball and softball, I may not have a need for a LONG lens. So I'm also hedging my bet.
But who knows, I may get into birding like you, and WANT the long lens.

Real Name
Walter
I figured the MC20 was a cheaper way to get to 300mm than the 100-400, with better IQ than the 75-300.
High school baseball and softball is in the afternoon where I usually have plenty of sunlight, so the reduction to f/5.6 won't be an issue.
At night I have to shoot at f/2.8, so off comes the TC. And as you said, the 100-400 is too slow.
Once I stop shooting high school baseball and softball, I may not have a need for a LONG lens. So I'm also hedging my bet.
But who knows, I may get into birding like you, and WANT the long lens.

Agreed. That's why I bought it too. I think that's generally true. IQ: O100-400 > 40-150+MC-20 > 75-300. I bought the O100-400 because I really wanted to go out to 400 mm for BIF, etc. 300 wasn't quite long enough. For your purposes, 300 would be plenty.

I almost bought the 75-300 on the outlet sale, but chickened out. Actually, I was interested in adding this compact lens to my travel kit instead of bringing the 40-150+MC-14, but then I asked myself why? and couldn't come up with a good answer. Where am I going to be going? Certainly not Japan. Don't have anything planned.

People say we live in a paradise, and in a lot of ways, we do. However, one thing we can't do is RV or make long road trips. We live on islands. Can't go far and the Superferry that allowed us to take our cars to other islands went under. I'm seriously jealous of you guys on the mainland who can make road trips or RV. :)

Yeah, I know. We could fly there, rent an RV/van, and go on a road trip. We actually did that on a road trip from Vancouver WA to Vancouver BC, Victoria BC, and back. Included two ferry rides. That was fun.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Agreed. That's why I bought it too. I think that's generally true. IQ: O100-400 > 40-150+MC-20 > 75-300. I bought the O100-400 because I really wanted to go out to 400 mm for BIF, etc. 300 wasn't quite long enough. For your purposes, 300 would be plenty.

I almost bought the 75-300 on the outlet sale, but chickened out. Actually, I was interested in adding this compact lens to my travel kit instead of bringing the 40-150+MC-14, but then I asked myself why? and couldn't come up with a good answer. Where am I going to be going? Certainly not Japan. Don't have anything planned.

People say we live in a paradise, and in a lot of ways, we do. However, one thing we can't do is RV or make long road trips. We live on islands. Can't go far and the Superferry that allowed us to take our cars to other islands went under. I'm seriously jealous of you guys on the mainland who can make road trips or RV. :)

Yeah, I know. We could fly there, rent an RV/van, and go on a road trip. We actually did that on a road trip from Vancouver WA to Vancouver BC, Victoria BC, and back. Included two ferry rides. That was fun.

The 75-300 is still "in stock" for $352. Which is not a bad price.

I use mine when I don't want to lug the 40-150. Just carrying the EM1 + 12-100 + 75-300, and I'm worn out after shooting a baseball game. Well it doesn't help that the baseball field is on the side of a hill and an uphill hike from the parking.
Kaimuki's baseball field right next to parking and on FLAT ground is really nice, in comparison.
I usually do a circuit around the field, starting near the home dugout, then to other side near the visitors dugout, then on the left foul line, then outside center field, then on the right foul line at the outfield fence, then at home dug out.

Yup.
That is one reason why I may have trouble retiring back to Hawaii. Even though I don't do LONG drives.
I dunno, still up in the air. But I do miss the food.

Oh and shipping stuff to HI. No cheap UPS ground rate.
Can you do Amazon Prime to Hawaii?

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
Yup.
That is one reason why I may have trouble retiring back to Hawaii.
I might just stay in Calif.

Oh and shipping stuff to HI. No cheap UPS ground rate.

If you like being on an island, it's fine. If you feel restricted, you've got "rock fever!" :)

Would you believe I've met people in Honolulu who have never been out of state or even to a neighbor island? I'm floored.

I've actually had stuff shipped to HI via UPS ground. I think they truck it to the west coast and then put it on the plane. Takes a little longer.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you like being on an island, it's fine. If you feel restricted, you've got "rock fever!" :)

Would you believe I've met people in Honolulu who have never been out of state or even to a neighbor island? I'm floored.

I've actually had stuff shipped to HI via UPS ground. I think they truck it to the west coast and then put it on the plane. Takes a little longer.

I'm pretty good at not traveling, so being on an island is OK. And having grown up there, I know what it's like. 45 minutes to the other side of the Oahu. Except on the big island where it is 2 hours from Hilo to Kona, a bit shorter over the saddle road.
Funny thing, when I was a kid, it was a LONG trip from Kaimuki to my uncle in Pearl City. That was using Nimitz Highway, before H1 went over Red Hill to Pearl City.​
But in Calif, even if I don't do a long road trip, I could do it if I wanted to.

I believe not going to the mainland, especially the older generations, but not going to a neighbor island?

Interesting, I did not know UPS did a gound/air combo to Hawaii. It used to be UPS Blue only.
Maybe the competition forced them to it.

Real Name
Walter
I believe not going to the mainland, especially the older generations, but not going to a neighbor island?
Believe it. When some photo friends planned a trip to the Big Island in 2015, one of our group (younger than me) said this would be her first trip to the island. SMH.

BTW, that is one way to do a road trip here. Fly to a neighbor island, stay at a hotel, and drive around. Make like a tourist. Maybe when rental car prices return to "normal," we could do that again.

Markyboy72

New to Mu-43
I’ve just gone from the 75-300 to the 100-400. I loved my 75-300 and “thought” I found it sharp across all the focal range (I’ll explain what I mean in a min) and I got some good pics with it but always itched for a little more reach and lovely bokeh, both of which I get with the 100-400. The main difference I find is that the pics from the 100-400 are great straight out of the camera, extremely sharp, nice contrast and bokeh. I always felt that I was fighting with the 75-300 to get the best sharpness, although I wasn’t displeased with it, i always had to use topaz sharpen and ramp up the contrast in lightroom. Now with the 100-400 I barely have to touch any of the sliders in lightroom!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom