1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Time to send my E-M5 for repair

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Promit, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Time to send my E-M5 for repair (UPDATED)

See post #21 for an update.

Actually what I need is a sensor clean, but apparently once you're out of warranty it counts as a repair and the base price is $165 :rolleyes: I'm also waiting to hear back about whether they'll address the LCD bezel crack out of warranty. Honestly I like the camera, but this sort of thing doesn't tend to inspire me to keep buying more expensive equipment from them.

The actual mark on the sensor is itself a bit of a puzzler. I know it's been there for some time -- wish I'd sent it in before warranty expired. I don't know if it's always been there. I tried to photograph it but it didn't really work. It looks like some gunk is on the sensor, possibly a microdroplet or two of water dried on it? Can't tell and I'm a little concerned that it might be a blemish in the sensor glass itself. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I tried a LensPen gently but it didn't do anything. Can't really press down with the IS mechanism bouncing all over the place. The only lens I have with enough magnification to capture it attaches to my E-M5 :frown:

I guess we'll see what happens. At least I have my Sony to shoot with in the meantime.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Since the bezel crack is a known problem, you may not get charged for it to be repaired. It's almost certain that the camera will be checked out and they will makes sure that everything is within specs. If anything else is wrong they want to identify and fix it so it doesn't go out and then came right back.

I've been able to remove specks on the sensor by powering it up (which stops the sensor assembly from freely moving) and wiping it with a Lens pen.

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yeeouch, $165 for sensor cleaning?

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They have a flat 'repair' rate policy, which means that any work done when the camera is out of warranty cost the same regardless of what the work actually is. Sometimes it's a good deal, but here clearly it's not.

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Ouch... maybe I should get a sensor clean before my OMD warranty runs out. Are sensor cleans actually covered under warranty? I thought that would have come under normal wear and tear/maintenance.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    $100 USD for the OM-D 2yr extended warranty too.

7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Clean your own sensor. Sensor swab. $15. I use the aps c sized swab for the m43.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not as easy as it sounds. Unlike most m4/3 and all APS-C and full-frame cameras, the sensor is free floating. That means it'll move when you're swabbing it. That makes it a lot more difficult to clean completely, and makes it easy to accidentally damage as the sensor positioning and stabilization mechanism is quite delicate. That's the reason why Olympus doesn't recommend that you clean it yourself.

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Very good points but I also wonder if next summer (before warranty runs out) would Olympus clean my sensor for less money? :confused:

10. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    If all repairs including sensor cleaning cost $165, then what have you got to lose in trying it DIY first? $15, is what.

• Like Like x 1
  11. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    Well, if you damage something, then you're out a hell of a lot more than $15...

12. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Since Olympus specifies users not attempt the cleaning, they ought to have a more reasonable charge specifically for sensor cleaning. $165 to clean a sensor is ridiculous.

Based on this conversation, I just bought the 2 year extended warranty, which is about 60% of the cost of one cleaning. If it turns out to need cleaning 1x/year or more, this would absolutely rule out buying an Olympus body again.

13. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I assume this is the same for the E-M1?

If so, it's off my shopping list ... what a crock.

14. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    AFAIK, f you send in your camera for any repair, they will check, clean, and update it. So, if you send it in for the cracked bezel, which olymlus is covering for free, you might just get the cleaning for free

• Like Like x 1
  15. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Although is does have that "pro service" warranty, however they run that- so it might be worth having for any problems.

16. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    If you're at the point where you're looking at sensor cleaning, your only option besides DIY is to pay $165 for it, so you only have $15 to lose on a failed attempt.

17. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Yeah - I just don't like the notion of having to send my camera away for a cleaning. I get it that sometimes you have to do this for service regardless of what camera you are using, but for a cleaning? No thanks.

18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    No. $165 is your baseline starting charge. Camera repairs operate on tiered service. If something catastrophic happens - let's say you cracked the sensor glass somehow - you will be charged significantly more than 165.

Anyways, they don't have a cleaning-only service. It all counts as repair and it starts at 165. Considering it took me a few minutes to explain to the customer service rep what I meant by mark on the sensor ("there's a mark on the LCD?" "NO. mark on the sensor." "So where on the LCD is the mark?") I'm curious to see if they really insist on the full price. I'm sending it in as needing service for the bezel crack and we'll see what happens. Don't know if that's warranty-only either.

Since Olympus says "don't clean the sensor because you'll damage it", options seem to be 1) clean the sensor anyway 2) buy the extended warranty. And sending it away for something a local shop should be able to do or should be possibly to DIY isn't wonderful either. Yes the Olympus dust removal is good, but sometimes you need a cleaning.

19. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Ah, ok. I was going on what dhazeghi said, that it was a flat rate.

20. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Not as easy as it sounds, but not as hard either. I've cleaned my EM5's sensor and so have a few other people. Perhaps a few folks have run into trouble, but I've not seen any posts ranting about the damage.

My K100D DSLR had somewhat of a free floating sensor. You could hear it rattling if you shake the camera when powered off. And if you clean it, you can hear the whine of the antishake (their name for their technology) motors fighting the touch of the swab.

I cleaned my EM5 with the power off. The EM5 sensor assembly looks like it moves to a "park" position when powered down. I don't recall it moving for the two passes I made across the cover glass with the cleaning swab. I didn't know that was possible when I first did the cleaning. Later, I saw it did move if I pushed lightly on the edge of the sensor frame.