1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Time to say hello!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Qiou87, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Hi everyone!

I've been reading stuff on this forum for quite some time now - I'd say a couple months at least. My interest in µ4/3 started when I was looking for a small portable companion to my full frame DSLR kit. I got a pretty deal of Amazon on a Olympus E-PL3, bought the famed Pany 20mm to go with it, and I've been stunned by the results.

So stunned, in fact, that I started reading a lot about the OM-D E-M5. At first it seemed like a joke: how could such a small camera replace my big manly DSLR?

That was two months ago. I bought the OM-D last week and took about 250 shots with it this week-end, using it alongside my 5D MkII. I'm sold, really. All that's left to do now is sell all my Canon gear (I don't have the money to keep two complete systems) and buy a couple more lenses for the OM-D.

As for the most important part, the photography: it's strictly a hobby for me, I'm only 25 but I started taking pictures when I was 12 (B&W film, I was doing my own processing). I mostly take travel pictures, some street, and I'm getting a bit into urban exploration these days.

I'm not sure if that's allowed but here's a link to my flickr, if anyone is interested. Thanks for reading this and please excuse my french: I'm from Paris, France! :wink:

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    HI Qiou87,

Welcome to the Mu43 site, a great place and the leading site for all things Micro four thirds.

You are doing what many of us on here have already gone through, replacing big heavy FF DSLR kits witha small light yet very capable Mu43 kit.

The OMD and GH3 have both raised the bar and challenged not only APS-C, but also proved themselves able to deliver results that are good enough for an increasing band of working pros to convert for their working images - with no regrets!

Here in the UK, we have the new Olympus Ambassador Damian McGillicuddy who shoots a lot of fashion/portrait all now with the OMD - Damian McGillicuddy - Damian McGillicuddy

Definately worth a look.

You have some great images on your flikr site and I do like the images using a very wide angle (almost fisheye) of the old building - great job and I for one look forward to seeing your images from the OMD appearing here.

Good luck,
    Ian

3. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    Hi Iansky!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I took the liberty of sharing a couple shots in the appropriate topics, I'm hoping to get some feedback to help me improve!

The work of Damian McGillicuddy is certainly very impressive! Thanks for the link.

I noticed a couple things while using the OM-D for the first time (as a backup) this week-end: first, I should have read the manual (got a lot of trouble with the IS, as I didn't set the proper focal length for the fisheye first :frown:), and I got jokes from the other urbexers (using Canon and Nikon FF). Well, up until I showed them the pictures and they couldn't tell the difference between the 5D MkII and OM-D shots... :tongue:

As for the fisheye shots in my flickr thread, they're all taken with the OM-D. It's my first fisheye (and second Ultra-wide) so I'm still learning how to use it properly. But it's challenging, and therefore very exciting to use!

4. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    A warm welcome to you! Share lots of photos! :)

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Hello and welcome. :43: is a great system, enjoy! :smile:

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Qiou87, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Welcome to m4/3. It's a great community to share info, pics, and learn about the system and what the various cameras and lenses can do.