Time to replace GF1? With what?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by New Daddy, Sep 19, 2012.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I love my GF1, but I was wondering if it's time to move on to a newer rangefinder-style body, especially with the flurry of new bodies from Olympus.

What are your thoughts? Has there been significantly large improvements over the years that justify buying a new body?
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PL5 will be a huge step up from GF1. New Sony sensor, at least 2 stops noise improvement and even more improvements in DR. Tilting touchscreen (great for selective focus), much snappier performance with much faster AF and shorter shutter lag, 8fps burst mode, HDR bracketing (up to 3EV bracketing), wireless flash, great AWB performance, etc. E-PM2 is a good option too minus tilting screen and mode dial.
  3. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    I'm in the same boat... The improved DR is my biggest wish, not too picky about noise improvement.
  4. potownrob

potownrob Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Upstate NY
    i know you mentioned olympus, but what about the GX1??
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I went from the GF1 to the GX1, and it was a pleasant up-grade. Better ergonomics, iso, customization, interface, and over all snappiness and feel... The only down side is I'd say is that the GX1 is a bit grainier when pixel peaking at lower iso. I've also discovered that I'm rather fond of using the LVF2, and will probably not buy another body w/o a build in view finder.

Here's to hoping that Oly or Pany will make a GX/EP body w/ rangefinder esque left side built in EVF!
  6. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I "upgraded" from G1/GF1 to a E-PL2. On paper this is hardly an upgrade, but it shows in everyday shooting.
    At base ISO on is hard pressed to tell the difference, I think the Oly is a little sharper but a teeny tiny tad grainier too. This only shows in 1:1, mind you- usually I check at 1:2 and there its grain free.
    Even though I hardly go above base iSO, there are times I need it and while I didn't wanna go above ISO 400 with my G1/GF1, I dial in 800 on the Oly without thinking twice and would use even 1600 for shots without fine detail.
    I really don't like the makers' approach of extending ISO in expense of clean base. There's only so much a sensor of MFT's size is capable of in low light and although newer models are somewhat cleaner they render less detail too, and never ever does the GX1 offer 2 stops of improved noise performance! Just check dxo... not even half a stop that the GX1 drops below a certain SNR18% threshold later than previous generations.

I am really interested in th new PL but unless there's reliable tests on the OM-D's sensor everything has to be taken with a grain of salt,i.e. not worth it. If I wanted the best DR in a compact body I'd get a RX100, for sharpness and low noise at base ISO any earlier MFT will do! And might even do better than later models due to the weaker AA filter the older models have. Lens tests showed that the sharp primes like 45 an 20 resolved more lines on the 12mp sensor than the 16mp. Again, we don't know about OM-D data YET!

MFT has to offer significant improvements (i tried gx1, omd, gh2, not significant in my book) to get me to pay full price at release for a new model.
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    With Olympus putting the E-M5 sensor in the Pens, the E-PM2 and E-PL5 have screamed to the top of my list of compact-bodied Micro 4/3 cameras. The addition of the touch/tiltscreen to the E-PL5 makes it even more attractive and close to the same functionality as the E-M5.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I fully support Nic, dont think about anything else and grab EPL5 or EPM2 for ultimate IQ and fun in MFT world. They are the best value for money at the moment .
  9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I kept my GF1 from launch up until the end of last year and it was a superb small camera capable of great results.

I was very dissapointed with the GF2 /3 that were released and considered them a total "dumbing down" so ignored them.

When Panasonic announced the GX1 I was very interested but decided to wait and see how the user reviews came out - they were very positive and as I had a long awaited trip to India looming I decided to pull the plug and let the GF1 go (to a good friend) and replace with the GX1.

It was a wise move and I can say that in all honesty for me it has proved itself to be a very worthy successor to the GF1 and if anything is slightly better made. The image quality is dramatically better and I have had results at high ISO I would never dream of attempting with the GF1.

I have also replaced my 20mm with the 25mm and added the LVF2 that was essential for India.

To summarise, if you enjoyed the GF1 I am sure you would be even happier with the GX1.

Some of my India shots taken with it are here:

571 Photography: GX1 does Taj Mahal and Delhi

Good luck with the hunt but I would suggest reading some of the actual user reviews and handling one in store.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    There is no doubt that GX1 is a superb camera. But I'm planning to buy an OM-D at some point as well to replace my GH1. So having two premium MFT bodies sounds a little redundant.

I think I'll look into the new Oly E-PL5 and E-PM2. It looks like they will complement my more serious OM-D nicely for more casual occasions.
  11. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    My only concern with the new PENs is the lack of dials in the camera. While sensor-wise these new PENs are a major jump forward, they seem to me a jump backward in terms of manual controls.
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It really depends how you define premium. It's considerably more affordable than other newer 16MP models, like the E-PM2 or E-PL5.

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Totally agree, did the same thing when an unexpected trip to the Olympics came up this summer - sold the much-loved GF1 and replaced it with a GX1 and have not had any complaints at all! :thumbup: I guess it's not an "economy" camera, but it's not badly priced at all, at least at today's prices.

• Like Like x 1
  14. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Wow.. You are absolutely right. I didn't realize that GX1 is priced at what it is priced now. It's selling at less than $500 body only.. I'd have thought it would be priced a little under OM-D's price point.
  15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yep, you could buy two GX1s for the price of an OM-D...almost three if you go for the grip! :eek: :biggrin: The G3 is also a true bargain these days if you want an EVF built in.
  16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON