Time to manually clean the sensor on my E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thinkcooper, May 25, 2012.

1. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    My sensor has a few very teeny, bright spots on it that appear to be sticky dust. A blower doesn't clear them, nor does turning the camera on and off repeatedly to cycle the internal sensor cleaning process. I did some test shots this morning of a clear blue sky and couldn't see any traces of the dust in the image.

Given these observations, would it make sense to do a little deeper cleaning?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you're not seeing any impact on your images, why mess with the sensor?

• Like Like x 1
  3. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    I am always finding myself guilty of "fixing" things when they aren't actually broken and regretting it every time. Don't do it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I consider myself experienced with sensor cleaning, but I still won't do it unless it was showing in the photos. If nothing shows in the skies at f11, don't worry about it.

The EM5 sensor supposedly moves around when its electromagnets are off, so that would complicate a wet clean.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Not gonna do it. Cooler heads prevailed. And the 30 mile away local camera shop that had an Eclipse system in stock said the same thing. Thank you.

6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    You wouldn't be cleaning the sensor really, just the dust barrier in front of it.

Because m43 camera have the dust barrier quite a way from the sensor, dust usually doesn't appear in images, because the 'shadow' any particles might create end up very blurry. As others have said, unless you can see evidence of dust in your images, don't bother.