Time to join the m4/3 community

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Brian Bordeau, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Brian Bordeau

Brian Bordeau New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2013
    Hello everyone. I am a former 4/3 user. I owned an Olympus E-510 for a couple of years. I was just getting ready to enhance my lens collection when Panasonic and Olympus announced m4/3. At that point, I decided that Olympus would probably focus on m4/3 and abandon 4/3 DLSRs, though they said otherwise at the time. After a while, I sold my E-510 and bought a Fuji HS20 superzoom. I've been using the Fuji ever since. Having a 30X zoom is a different experience, and I love Fuji's JPEG colors, but I am just not satisfied with the overall IQ, especially over ISO 400.
    So, here I am. I've decided to jump back to Olympus. I just placed my order for an EPL5. I've been more than impressed with the sample images I've seen. Looks like the new sensor is at least 2 stops better than my E-510. Can't wait to get it. Looking forward to sharing info and images with everyone...
  2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA

I used to use a E-520, and the differences between the E-5xx sensor and E-M5/E-PL5 sensor are pretty wide. I used to only go up to about 1000-1600iso max on 520 and would have to convert all of that to b&w because of the noise. On the E-M5 sensor I go up to 3200iso in color with noise not being all that bad. Even going from the 12mp E-P2 sensor to the E-M5 sensor, I was pretty amazed at the quality difference.

You should be quite pleased with the results of your new camera.
  3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Welcome back man :D

You will definitely love the newer cameras and lenses :D
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    We'll one to the forum - look forward to seeing some photos! :cool:
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Brian, welcome aboard!

6. Brian Bordeau

Brian Bordeau New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2013
    I appreciate the welcomes. My camera should arrive Wednesday or Thursday. Waiting, waiting....