1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Time to go shopping!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by plantain, Mar 23, 2014.

1. plantain

plantain Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Halifax, NS Canada
    Jim
    Hi my name is Jim and I discovered this forum while checking out the Olympus OMD E-M1.
    I was looking for a lighter and more compact camera system because I was tired of lugging my Canon 7D and glass around.
    With some trepidation I decided to put a foot in the water and list my gear online last Sunday.
    The first thing to go was the Canon 7D which kind of freaked my out because all of a sudden I had a bag full of glass and no body!
    One week later and most everything is gone. I have one lens left to sell. No turning back now! Both feet are in.

So it's time to go shopping for new gear. Probably a E-M1 and a Olympus 20-40mm 2.8. I really like the Olympus 75mm 1.8 too.
    One thing that surprised me when I was out looking at lenses was how small the Olympus 60mm 2.8 is. I had a Canon 100mm 2.8 IS USM and that lens is huge compared to the Olympus.

Looking forward to getting some new gear!

2. theMezz

theMezz New to Mu-43

Mar 23, 2014
    Central New York
    Joe Mezzanini
    I did the same thing. Sold my Nikon D7000 and some of my glass is is sold and the rest is on ebay,

Now I have no clue what 43 camera system to buy. How the heck do I pick one !?!

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Did the same thing as you (7D and glass) last Nov/Dec. :drinks:

See my gear list for what I got (GX7-based). I went for primes through the standard range of focal lengths, plus a zoom at each end.

Each to his own, though. I think you have a more 'mini-7D' goal in mind from your indicated choices, Jim.

Either way, you will love it.

4. plantain

plantain Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Halifax, NS Canada
    Jim
    I had read about and tried the Olympus OMD E-M1 and really liked the feel of it and the reviews were good.
    I found it similar in feel to a DSLR but smaller but still solid.

I guess do some research see what appeals to you and try it in the store.

5. plantain

plantain Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Halifax, NS Canada
    Jim
    So I think I made the right move!

I'll check out your gear list. I was thinking of the prime route as well but the 10-22 2.8 with the E-M1 is $200 off at purchase. Still want the 75mm 1.8 though.

Yes the "mini 7D" will be lighter!

I think I will really like it!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.