Time to go shopping!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by plantain, Mar 23, 2014.

1. plantain

plantain Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Halifax, NS Canada
    Jim
    Hi my name is Jim and I discovered this forum while checking out the Olympus OMD E-M1.
    I was looking for a lighter and more compact camera system because I was tired of lugging my Canon 7D and glass around.
    With some trepidation I decided to put a foot in the water and list my gear online last Sunday.
    The first thing to go was the Canon 7D which kind of freaked my out because all of a sudden I had a bag full of glass and no body!
    One week later and most everything is gone. I have one lens left to sell. No turning back now! Both feet are in.

So it's time to go shopping for new gear. Probably a E-M1 and a Olympus 20-40mm 2.8. I really like the Olympus 75mm 1.8 too.
    One thing that surprised me when I was out looking at lenses was how small the Olympus 60mm 2.8 is. I had a Canon 100mm 2.8 IS USM and that lens is huge compared to the Olympus.

Looking forward to getting some new gear!

2. theMezz

theMezz New to Mu-43

Mar 23, 2014
    Central New York
    Joe Mezzanini
    I did the same thing. Sold my Nikon D7000 and some of my glass is is sold and the rest is on ebay,

Now I have no clue what 43 camera system to buy. How the heck do I pick one !?!

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Did the same thing as you (7D and glass) last Nov/Dec. :drinks:

See my gear list for what I got (GX7-based). I went for primes through the standard range of focal lengths, plus a zoom at each end.

Each to his own, though. I think you have a more 'mini-7D' goal in mind from your indicated choices, Jim.

Either way, you will love it.

4. plantain

plantain Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Halifax, NS Canada
    Jim
    I had read about and tried the Olympus OMD E-M1 and really liked the feel of it and the reviews were good.
    I found it similar in feel to a DSLR but smaller but still solid.

I guess do some research see what appeals to you and try it in the store.

5. plantain

plantain Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Halifax, NS Canada
    Jim
    So I think I made the right move!

I'll check out your gear list. I was thinking of the prime route as well but the 10-22 2.8 with the E-M1 is $200 off at purchase. Still want the 75mm 1.8 though.

Yes the "mini 7D" will be lighter!

I think I will really like it!

• Like Like x 1