1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Time Required to Update E-M1 Firmware?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ijm5012, Apr 5, 2016.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So I received a "refurbished" E-M1, yet somehow it only has FW3.0 installed, despite the fact that it's 3 revisions old and the newest edition is 4.1. I've read the instructions, downloaded the newest edition of Olympus Updater, plugged the camera in and it recognizes the current FW (3.0) as well as the newest version (4.1). I got through the process to initiate the FW upgrade, and I see a percentage update pop up on my computer screen. It makes it to about 16% before that screen disappears on my Mac and I'm just left with a screen that say "updating the firmware".

My E-M1 rear LCD is just black, it hasn't said "OK" yet, and it's been about 15 minutes since I started the update. This seems excessively long IMO, at least compared to my experience with Panasonic cameras.

Speaking of which, why does Olympus insist on this proprietary cable and an internet connection, compared to Panasonic which simply places a file on your SD cars, and it's handled that way? It's much easier IMO.

Anyway, how long has it traditionally taken people to update the firmware on their E-M1? Does 15-20 minutes seem excessive?

2. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    OK seriously, WTF. I waited for an hour while the camera did nothing before I finally said **** it and quit the Olympus updater after literally nothing happened with my camera. To my surprise, the camera still functioned, and was still on FW 3.0. So, some background info to try to troubleshoot this issue.

Olympus Updater: Version 1.2.1, downloaded from Olympus' website on 5 April 2016
    E-M1 current FW: Version 3.0

When I connect my camera to my computer and launch the Olympus updater, I select "storage". From there, Olympus Updater shows my camera (E-M1), current FW (3.0), available FW (4.1), and file size (69MB). My internet isn't an issue, as I am able to download a 100+MB file in under 2 minutes. I select "Update" from the Olympus updater software, and I get another software menu on the computer that pops up showing a circle figure that has a percentage in the middle. It shows the time elapsed, as well as anticipated time remaining. In my case, the % complete quickly climbs 16%, and then sits stationary. The time elapsed continues to tick until it reaches a minute at which point that screen just disappears and I'm left with a screen from the Olympus software that says something to the extent of "When you see these images on the rear LCD of your camera, don't disconnect or shut the camera off".

Well, I don't get any of that on my camera. My rear LCD remains black with no images, no text, nada.

Can anyone help with this? Panasonic's way of updating the FW via SD card is 1,000,000x easier than the system Olympus uses, and it's extremely frustrating... Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    it shouldn't take more than ~8 mins max
    Make sure the OM-D is charged, try a different USB port (eg not a hub, not a usb 3.0, not a low power keyboard extension,...)
    If it still fails, try redownloading the olympus update software, or alternatively, try running the software on a different computer if available, or else a different user account

Detach any lenses from the OM-D whilst updating (shouldn't be necessary though)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Thanks Alex, I'll try a couple of these items. FYI, the USB port being used was one directly on my Macbook Pro, no lens was on the camera, and no SD was in the camera.

I know there was some confusion over when OS X El Captian was first released, but that seems to have fixed itself with a new version of the Olympus Updater, which I'm assuming I have since I just downloaded it tonight from Olympus' website after googling "Olympus Updater". The Updater software recognizes my camera, shows the newest FW version, yet basically sh*ts the bed once I initiate the update.

5. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    I use my desktop most of the time for this kind of stuff, but I don't see a problem why it wouldn't work on a MBP
    Of course, the simplest option IF you have a dual boot setup using bootcamp, you could just simply update under windows this one time
    Olympus already updated their firmware updater software to support El Capitan, so that shouldn't be the issue

I've also read that the issue could be as simple as the display going to sleep before the process has finished, try changing the display sleep time to something longer (because you're supposed to interact with the software once more (clicking next) when it says OK)

• Like Like x 3
  6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yep, this was it. I had my menu sleep timer set for 1 minute, so apparently the camera was going to sleep before the software could update (you'd think Olympus would write a line of code that said when plugged in, the camera would NOT go to sleep. Obviously not though...). Once I changed the sleep time to OFF, everything went nice and smooth.

Thanks for your help! This was such a stupid little issue that would've driven me NUTS, as I never would have thought that would have caused it (I have my Panasonic cameras set up the same way and it has never caused an issue like that when updating the firmware).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Glad you resolved it. That would have been very frustrating. :)

8. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    You would indeed think they thought of that :p
    Glad the issue is resolved!
    You're welcome and happy shooting!! :)

9. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    Glad you where able to find the problem. However, it's beyond me how anyone are able to claim that it is easier to manually download a file from some site on the net, then manually copying the file to a memory card, and then move this card to the camera, and then - finally - manually start the firmware update process.
    With the Olympus camera you just start the updater software, plug the cable in between the PC and the camera and then just let the camera updater do its thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Agreed. However it would be nice if Olympus allowed you to download the update as it's own step. So that you didn't have to have the camera plugged in, powered on, and connected to the computer. If something goes wrong and you have to restart, then you have to also restart the download process from Olympus. If you could download the update by itself then you would have it on your computer and ready to go once you do connect your camera. If you have more than one of the same camera, say two+ E-M1s, does the updater RE-download th FW update for each body? If so, another good reason to allow downloading the FW update as its own step.

11. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @ThorEgil@ThorEgil, I see your point, and sure, it might be a bit of extra work for Panasonic cameras, but there are a few things that I don't like about the Olympus way:
    • If your wifi signal cuts out, you could be screwed. Yes, you can use a hardwire connection, but fewer and fewer people have hardwire connections anymore
    • If you manage to accidentally bump the cable to disrupt it from either the camera or the computer, you could be screwed.
    • It uses a proprietary cable. If you lose the cable, you have to buy another one just to update your camera.
    With the SD-card system Panasonic uses, you download the file, put it on the SD cars, put the SD card in the camera, and turn it on. There's no risk of disconnecting a cable, or being required to use a propriety cable. I just use a standard SD card, and the update goes smoothly.

Once I figured out the issue I was having, the Olympus update was very easy, but there are still a few areas that could cause problems that aren't present when updating via an SD car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You are OK if the wifi signal cuts out, or if you lose the internet connection for any other reason. The only critical stage is after the download to the computer is finished. Before then you can just restart the update.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I wonder why Olympus then recommends you to use a hardwire internet connection? Either way, good to know.

14. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I think the idea is just to eliminate one more thing that can go wrong. It will also be a bit faster.

15. Moula

Moula Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    But Olympus software is not available for all platforms.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    They do; it's just not officially documented.

See
    LightSnow Dev: Olympus Online Firmware Update Tool
    and
    Better AF results with Vivid plus increased Sharpness and Contrast?

Make sure you get the right file for your camera model.

Also, note that site has both original Olympus firmware files, as well as some modified ones; make sure you know which one you want.

Barry

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. StephenC

StephenC New to Mu-43

Mar 29, 2016
    Do you know if there is any way to protect your customization of the camera during an update. I customized my EM-1 two years ago, then waited forever before updating, and recently went straight to 4.1 Still trying to figure out how I managed to allocate all those custom settings on button and dials!

18. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    There is no way unfortunately. I'm not certain why Olympus does this, as Panasonic doesn't when updating their cameras to the best of my knowledge. I agree that it is incredibly frustrating, especially if you have created multiple mysets.

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The Olympus Updater has been famously buggy at various times. Also, Olympus's updates aren't cumulative - meaning each version doesn't include all of the relevent information from previous updates. The firmware on your camera must be recent enough for the latest version to work. I tend to keep my camera and lens firmware updated. But if one buys a refubished product that happens to have older firmware, it means updating more than once. That's not the case on any Pentax, Ricoh, Panasonic or Fuji that I own. On balance, I find updating with the other brands easier. But that's just me.

20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Document your settings in the spreadsheet available on biofos. Com.

Barry