Time Lapse with OMD possible?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Buddy, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Buddy

Buddy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    Florida
    I'm trying to figure out if I can do time lapse with the OMD. The Olly website
    says it can be done.

E-M5 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

I changed the anti-shock to "On" and set a time and then changed the sequential shooting mode for multiple shots at certain intervals.

I probably just don't understand what's going on as I thought I would be able to make these changes, press the shutter button and then it will do its thing,etc. but I guess there's a lot more to it.

My current goal is to try and capture a sunrise over a period of like 20-30 minutes to test this out.

Has anyone tried this with the OMD/maybe have some suggestions by chance?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
  3. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Found also next lines from their FAQ:

"Is the Giga T Pro II compatible with the Olympus OM-D EM-5?
    Yes, the Giga T Pro II for Olympus is compatible with the OM-D EM-5."

4. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    I tried it two days ago. In the menu, turn anti-shock on with your favored interval, then three new options are added to the single/burst shooting options on the regular control panel. "H diamond", "L diamond", and diamond.

Then just lock your remote shutter release to on, and it will contine shooting at the anti shock interval.

This is my $6 RM-UC1 compatible remote shutter release. Like the $37 Olympus RM-UC1 it has a sliding mechanical lock to hold the shutter release button down.

Its likely possible to just hold the camera body shutter button down with a rubber band + bottle cap (etc.). I havn't tried this.

The more expensive RM-UC1 compatble shutter releases have a built in timer/intervalometer to do time lapses, without resetting the camera from single shot.

Neither approach is as flexible as running Triggertrap on an iPhone, which is pretty amazing but requires $20 of cable dongles and a $10 app and an iPhone.

5. Buddy

Buddy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    Florida
    Thanks HTC/Sanpaku - Really appreciate that info for sure, now I know what I need to get to get started! Mucho grats! :2thumbs:

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've done some test with the anti-shock setting on clouds before a backpacking trip.

I'm uploading one to vimeo right now.

7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Eagerly waiting, thanks!

8. Buddy

Buddy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    Florida
    Looking forward to seeing it as well!

9. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
  10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Here it is:

https://vimeo.com/47777963

It's two 10 second clips put together.

I'm not a videographer, so pardon the quality. These were also just some practice stuff out the window of my apartment to make sure I have some idea of what I'm doing for my trip in a couple weeks...the second one is a bit off focus.

I've found that its probably best to have the OMD grip with extra batteries in it. Otherwise, you run through your total shots rather quickly.

With a fully charged battery, I can get around 400...maybe 450 shots, but even then, that's not very long when you put them together. These are at 24 fps.

Anyway, not particularly great, but you get the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  11. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    It tells the story very well MAubrey. Thank you :thumbup:

Now I have to find some time to be an future expert myself :biggrin:

From Vimeo you can find the results of real experts too. They are awesome and its an understatement of the year.

12. TDP

TDP Guest

THAT is cool

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

looks promising.... what value did you use for the antishock setting?

K

14. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The first half is at 8 second and the second half is at 30 second. Like I said, I was experimenting with what works...

15. Buddy

Buddy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    Florida
    Very cool MAubrey! Thanks again for all info folks :2thumbs: My remote should be in on Monday, so def looking forward to trying this out!

16. felicedenigris

felicedenigris New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2012
    DOPO RM-UC1 only focuses? But doesn't hold shutter down?

Hey Guys, I've been following this very informative feed and I wanted to try to create a time lapse/ long exposure in bulb mode. I purchased the rm-uc1 remote and gave it a try last night, but I found that it only focused when pressed half way but it never engaged the shutter button when pressed down completely? I am not sure if i am missing a setting that could be throwing it off, but if someone could be kind to share their settings I would really appreciate it. So far my bulb mode is on, antishock diamond is on. But no results. Maybe remote is defective as well. Feedback is helpful . Thanks.

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    A bit late but might help someone:

I had a similar problem. Half-press worked. Shutter release not. I discovered the plug was not in the camera properly. Push a bit harder and it went click and then it worked properly.

18. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    which software do you use to make timelapse video?
    i use windows movie maker but losing the quality too much...

19. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD